What are your religious beliefs?

mcm1610 why'd you delete your comment? I'm not taking "pot-shots" I'm expressing my opinion, like everyone else
I deleted it because I realized the first "pot-shot" wasn't yours but someone else's.

He didn't want to post what he was because on the internet they get mocked, and IMMEDIATELY people start throwing out jabs like "get off my e-porch" and making fun of their practices. If you're going to express an opinion, make sure it's not a loaded shot at someone.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one kid in my elementary school class was a jehovah's witness.

i always felt bad for him because he was never allowed to eat any cupcakes the other kids mom's brought in for their birthdays.

8 year old's don't really grasp religion, they just know that they're not getting a cupcake when everyone else is.

in short, i feel bad for 8 year old you, smashingpimp01. (nice username?)

I feel worse for the 8 year old whose parents don't let him get the blood transfusion.

grade school was definitely not easy lol.

And look, I see a lot of people starting to get a little heated up. In short I'll just say, we do what is in the bible. If it was in the bible, we do it. Not in the bible, we avoid it. A lot of people here probably don't believe in the bible though so this convo will go no where.

Jesus didn't vote, didn't run for "office" and said that man was not able to rule man

He also didn't celebrate birthdays, even his own so thats where that comes from.

And to "theman", nice research. We didn't "believe" thats when the end was coming. I'm sure some people did but it wasn't our official date or anything. The bible straight up says no one knows when the end is coming, why would we start putting dates on it?

i always felt bad for him because he was never allowed to eat any cupcakes the other kids mom's brought in for their birthdays.

8 year old's don't really grasp religion, they just know that they're not getting a cupcake when everyone else is.

My best/only friend in elementary school was a Jehovah's Witness. Everyone thought she was weird because she wasn't allowed to participate in holiday parties. She could eat birthday cupcakes. But during the parties while everyone was playing games she had to sit in the library and do an "alternative assignment." None of the other parents gave a shit and were really shitty about it and never gave her the time of day. After my mom found out she volunteered for every single holiday party and would swing by the library to bring her pretzels or whatever snack we were having and see how she was doing/sneak me out of the party so I could see her.

Once sixth grade hit her parents pulled her out to homeschool her and wouldn't let us hang out. We were pen pals for a while..but then she started sending me religious literature......uhhhh...yeah....it got to the point where I felt uncomfortable about it as I don't do religion.

whatever dogmatic beliefs you have are yours. However I still find not voting to be an awful thing. I harbor anarchist/anti-government ideals and I still know how important it is to vote (if there is going to be a government and all). But to each his own and if that's what you believe, fine. I just feel like it totally invalidates your right to complain about the government or criticize it.

Jesus didn't vote, didn't run for "office" and said that man was not able to rule man

He also didn't celebrate birthdays, even his own so thats where that comes from.

He also didn't use the internet.

We didn't "believe" thats when the end was coming. I'm sure some people did but it wasn't our official date or anything.

This is what's known as "revisionist history."

If we're going to get into the voting talk...

I 100% see how people believe it is a disgrace to not vote. It doesn't really even need explaining, it makes sense.

But I also sometimes feel 100% the other way. By voting, you are throwing your name, your word, and what you believe in behind a candidate. Sometimes, the candidates are just shitty. I don't want to throw my name and everything about me behind someone I don't believe in because he's "the lesser of two evils" or whatever. Luckily most ballots have the write-in option, but I HATE that "lesser of two evils" argument. I also 100% believe that if you are uninformed (even though it is your duty as a citizen to be informed) you should do us all a favor and not vote because your blind casting could fuck us all with the wrong guy. That's why I didn't vote last November, I was way too busy to know anything about any of the races here.

My best/only friend in elementary school was a Jehovah's Witness. Everyone thought she was weird because she wasn't allowed to participate in holiday parties. She could eat birthday cupcakes. But during the parties while everyone was playing games she had to sit in the library and do an "alternative assignment." None of the other parents gave a shit and were really shitty about it and never gave her the time of day. After my mom found out she volunteered for every single holiday party and would swing by the library to bring her pretzels or whatever snack we were having and see how she was doing/sneak me out of the party so I could see her.

Once sixth grade hit her parents pulled her out to homeschool her and wouldn't let us hang out. We were pen pals for a while..but then she started sending me religious literature......uhhhh...yeah....it got to the point where I felt uncomfortable about it as I don't do religion.

whatever dogmatic beliefs you have are yours. However I still find not voting to be an awful thing. I harbor anarchist/anti-government ideals and I still know how important it is to vote (if there is going to be a government and all). But to each his own and if that's what you believe, fine. I just feel like it totally invalidates your right to complain about the government or criticize it.

for some reason this kid wasn't allowed to eat the cupcakes/cookies whatever food item was brought in. my mom found this out and for my birthday instead of food, she brought in little brightly colored pads of paper and cool looking pencils for the kids, and he could have that.

i was a very equality minded child; i just remember being so disturbed that he was singled out and couldn't participate (even though it was semi-self induced).

mcm1610 why'd you delete your comment? I'm not taking "pot-shots" I'm expressing my opinion, like everyone else
I deleted it because I realized the first "pot-shot" wasn't yours but someone else's.

He didn't want to post what he was because on the internet they get mocked, and IMMEDIATELY people start throwing out jabs like "get off my e-porch" and making fun of their practices. If you're going to express an opinion, make sure it's not a loaded shot at someone.

I honestly didn't know about the "no voting" thing and I was wrong and apologized about the other. I will not apologize for the other as I think religion is the lack of knowledge. that's not a "I'm better than you" thought or anything, it's what I believe in, my religious belief, if you will.

we're not revising dates here, we know right from the start that we don't know when the end is so we've never put a date on it. There have been witnesses who did and the majority of them aren't Jehovah's witnesses anymore.

And we follow the whole bible and there really isn't much contradiction. There is the old testament with the Mosaic law then in the Greek scriptures Jesus' law took precedence. And who knew the no voting thing would be such a hot topic. I'm not criticizing the government, nor do I have any opinions on what they should do. I'm not involved in politics. I obey all laws though, pay my taxes, register for selective service when I turn 18 even though i'd never fight in a war but in regards to which candidate to vote for I decline to choose.

I honestly didn't know about the "no voting" thing and I was wrong and apologized about the other. I will not apologize for the other as I think religion is the lack of knowledge. that's not a "I'm better than you" thought or anything, it's what I believe in, my religious belief, if you will.

you are more than entitled to your belief but i think it's insane to say religion is the lack of knowledge. Care to explain

If we're going to get into the voting talk...

I 100% see how people believe it is a disgrace to not vote. It doesn't really even need explaining, it makes sense.

But I also sometimes feel 100% the other way. By voting, you are throwing your name, your word, and what you believe in behind a candidate. Sometimes, the candidates are just shitty. I don't want to throw my name and everything about me behind someone I don't believe in because he's "the lesser of two evils" or whatever. Luckily most ballots have the write-in option, but I HATE that "lesser of two evils" argument. I also 100% believe that if you are uninformed (even though it is your duty as a citizen to be informed) you should do us all a favor and not vote because your blind casting could fuck us all with the wrong guy. That's why I didn't vote last November, I was way too busy to know anything about any of the races here.

I agree with this. But much of the time I feel like this Against Me! song says, "I still know every politician Is a fucking monster."

If the second thing was the PG movies comment, I really thought it was intended as a mockery. If the third thing is the voting discussion, I have no qualms with that.

I for some reason thought the e-porch comment was yours (it wasn't), and then the PG movie comment I took as mockery at first, and I thought it was turning towards a flame war. My apologies, peace?

And we follow the whole bible and there really isn't much contradiction. There is the old testament with the Mosaic law then in the Greek scriptures Jesus' law took precedence.

so then...you only follow the new testament? (because you're saying jesus's law takes precedence over what was said in the old testament)

i'm truly curious, i'm not criticizing.

you are more than entitled to your belief but i think it's insane to say religion is the lack of knowledge. Care to explain

I think knowledge might be the wrong wording, rather maybe ignorance of facts based on scientific evidence: the ignorance of things of that nature, maybe. but if we go that far into semantics, then to define ignorance is the lack of knowledge or education.