The National - High Violet (limited color)

A couple things:

kidamnesiac: it's actually not out of 2000, as there have been numbers higher than 2000. There's a discussion about it on The National's message board.

markovianprocess: the colored euro press isn't numbered. I have no idea how many were pressed, but those aren't numbered and don't come with the download card like the US.

I just got my Euro press and the color is much more appropriate than the dark translucent US press. But in general, two great colors for records!

I feel silly asking, but whereabouts are these numbered? I've got the purple Euro press and I can't seem to find a number on it anywhere.
Mine's on the back bottom right hand corner. Looks like very tiny typewriter print.

Also, why are you flipping this bud? I know tons of people on The National's message board that are searching for this since a lot are going up on Ebay. I just searched and you've got another copy up...

I'm not going to get into the flipping argument, but with this band and release it's hard to not be disappointed. It's not even going to get you that much more with shipping/fees... :-/

Guest weezytoaster

I got the regular audiophile 180 gram version and upon further inspection realized that the violet (sides 3 and 4) is colored and the high(sides 1 and 2) is black is this the case for anyone else?

I got the regular audiophile 180 gram version and upon further inspection realized that the violet (sides 3 and 4) is colored and the high(sides 1 and 2) is black is this the case for anyone else?

I just bought a black copy to go with my US and UK violet ones, and mine is exactly the same. The first LP is black, but the second is a more red violet than my dark blue translucent ones.

Guest markovianprocess
markovianprocess: the colored euro press isn't numbered. I have no idea how many were pressed, but those aren't numbered and don't come with the download card like the US.

Thanks so much for that (+1)! I thought I was going mad.

damn. got my order from aural exploits today, it was on black. even though I ordered the colored, and pretty early in the process as well. never got that email that was sent out about them not getting as many as they thought they would either, turns out I'm registered on there with an email address I never use, that I don't even have access to anymore... urgh!

depressed and desperate I went straight out and bought the European version on violet, the local store had a bunch of them. feel slightly better now.

Also, why are you flipping this bud? I know tons of people on The National's message board that are searching for this since a lot are going up on Ebay. I just searched and you've got another copy up...

I'm not going to get into the flipping argument, but with this band and release it's hard to not be disappointed. It's not even going to get you that much more with shipping/fees... :-/

Ordered an extra copy for a friend and he ended up getting it elsewhere. Starting bid was what I paid for it.

A friend of mine, who works at Neptoon Records in Vancouver, BC, bought the last coloured copy out of the 10 that her store got. So she was feeling pretty awesome about that until she opened it - scuffs all over both records straight out of the shrinkwrap. Needless to say, she was quite unhappy.

My black copy, however, has nary a scratch. Buyer beware I guess...

A friend of mine, who works at Neptoon Records in Vancouver, BC, bought the last coloured copy out of the 10 that her store got. So she was feeling pretty awesome about that until she opened it - scuffs all over both records straight out of the shrinkwrap. Needless to say, she was quite unhappy.

My black copy, however, has nary a scratch. Buyer beware I guess...

Interesting. Mine definitely had pressing residue, but nothing my brush didn't take care of. I find almost all new records have this and it's not really unexpected or an issue, perhaps this one had a little more? I don't know...that's unfortunate.

Actually finally got a chance to listen to this on wax with the wife yesterday. It really is a testament to how much better the sound of vinyl can be. Horns, organs, and orchestration really shine through on this recording and I felt like I had never heard some of them in my digital copy.

I laughed when my wife asked, "is there dust on the stylus or something?" during Terrible Love. I explained to her that the band was so proud of the demo version, they put it on the album instead of recording a proper version. Perhaps this song is part of the sound problems people have been having? I know a lot of people on other boards have been complaining about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...