Starbucks sued for unreasonably hot tea

A few things could have happened?

We have A LOT of protocol we're required to follow when handing off beverages (safety AND customer service related) and at least at my store you get bitched at. That includes NEVER handing people anything without a lid. It also includes NEVER handing people a drink without putting it down on a table/counter surface. The cups also say the beverages are extremely hot.

If those procedures weren't followed this person's well within their right to sue, especially if they needed medical attention. But overall I'm chalking it up to someone that was LOOKING for a way to file a lawsuit against something for some asinine reason because humanity is completely in the toilet anymore.

The tea water only comes in one temperature out of the coffee brewer. Unless we add ice, there's now way to change that so I'm not sure where this "unreasonably hot" thing is coming from.

Now, I think frivolous lawsuits are shit, they're a drain for sure. However, in this case there's one opening I see. If this specific Starbucks was warned before their water was far too hot and did nothing about it. That's what happened in the McDonald's case. That specific store was warned before about their coffee being unsafely hot. They did nothing. When the plaintiff pulled in to the drive-thru and put her coffee between her legs to hold it she received second and third degree burns. That's over-the-top hot and totally unsafe for food service.

If something similar happened here, totally within the confines of normal to sue. I don't want nor do a need water that'll cause second and three degree burns for my tea.

At my ice rink we have a hot cocoa / cappuccino machine that is insanely hot. I'm just waiting for us to get sued.

The Parks department I work for got sued 2 or 3 years ago for a fluke BS thing. The batting cages have signs everywhere that you must wear a helmet, not move from the batters box and all sorts of rules, then say enter at your own risk or some shit. Some guy was batting, waiting for a pitch, and right as it came out, someone else hit a ball that went and grazed his ball. It redirected just enough to blast this guy in the face, and he sued for a ton of money. I still don't know how he won, because it's bullshit. Things happen, that's why there's that "your own risk" thing posted everywhere.

Now, I think frivolous lawsuits are shit, they're a drain for sure. However, in this case there's one opening I see. If this specific Starbucks was warned before their water was far too hot and did nothing about it. That's what happened in the McDonald's case. That specific store was warned before about their coffee being unsafely hot. They did nothing. When the plaintiff pulled in to the drive-thru and put her coffee between her legs to hold it she received second and third degree burns. That's over-the-top hot and totally unsafe for food service.

If something similar happened here, totally within the confines of normal to sue. I don't want nor do a need water that'll cause second and three degree burns for my tea.

'

The water TENDS to be over 200 degrees Fahrenheit when making coffee and tea.

The water TENDS to be over 200 degrees Fahrenheit when making coffee and tea.

I don't agree. At one point it might be, sure. But then there should be process in place to allow some amount of cooling before passing it to a customer. And tea doesn't require boiling water to work. In fact, some teas are expressly worse when boiled.

tea is made with boiling water. boiling water is hot. hot things can burn you.

for filing this lawsuit we now get to sterilize you to prevent the human race going any further downhill.

Woohoo hyperbole!!

Look, there are rules about food safety. If Starbucks stayed within those rules, they're good. If they did not, were warned, ignored the warnings and someone got hurt they're liable. Its that fucking simple.

If you want to change the rules about food safety, fine. I don't know what they are in regards to hot beverages but I'm pretty sure its not okay to give someone a big old cup of boiling water. I'm not commenting on whether it should be.

It's not like everyone's coffee and tea are the same temperature. Sometimes I get coffee and no matter how much ice or cream I use it's still too hot to drink. McDonald's is the worst. When you're on the road at like 5 in the morning and all you want is something to open your eyes for that last 100 miles and then you have to wait 45 minutes until the coffee is drinkable. It's ludicrous.

The hot water tap at my Starbucks pours water at 185F, we steam our milk to 150~160F for lattes, and under no circumstances are we allowed to touch with our hands any lid, lip of a cup, or anything else the customer would be putting their mouth on. That being said, I have had the tea water spill onto my hand from being bumped or whatever and the never received any crazy burns. Maybe I'm Superman? Also, like it was mentioned above, we're not allowed to hand cups directly to people, we have to put them down on the counter for them to pick up. I just don't get some people, I mean if you know this thing is going to be hot why wouldn't you take more care with it? Do you juggle knives and run with scissors at home? Too bad these people can't burn their reproductive systems so badly they are unable to procreate.