So...

I'm posting this here because I don't want it to gather a lot of attention, outside of the regulars here, but I am contemplating creating a website. The website would be a record cataloging database website, similar to Recordnerd.com, but the catch is that it would work!

I'm in the mood to start a web project and there is a gapping hole in quality when it comes to a website like this. I'd like to create something that everyone wants to use and I want it to reflect modern technology. It's going to take awhile as I have a busy schedule, but it is something that I'm interested in creating and maintaining.

There's a bunch of ideas floating around in my head for what to do with this website, but I want to get some opinions from you folks.

Should I even go through with this?

What features would you like to see?

Can you provide links to other sites like Recordnerd (I know there's others, but I can't think of them right now)?

I'm not going to waste my time if people don't think this is a good idea, so I'm curious what you wonderful folks think.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abravemorning

I think this is a great idea. I've had an idea in my head, but I lack the skills and resources to make such a thing happen. I've even thought about a vinyl/social networking site. Kind of like what deadformat is doing, but further. Maybe a site that combines the concepts of both Record Nerd and Dead Format would be a better way of going. An all in one vinyl resource.

I'd also be down to help, art-wise. I've got samples of some stuff I've done if you're interested.

And I agree about the pictures; an photo upload function would rule. If you're going to use Recordnerd as a basis of comparison, you should also throw in fields like color, # pressed, which pressing (1st, ncd, etc.), year released, catalog #, etc. but have checkboxes beside them in the editing interface, so each one would be view-optional. Does that make sense?

dude do it ive also been wanting to do somthing like this lately

Same here. I'd like to figure out a good way to combine something like recordnerd and the other pricing website who's name now escapes me. I'd be down to help if you wanted.

ive been wanting to put together a data base with pressing plants, places to get mailers as well as places that make jackets for LP's and etc...

what I'd definitely dig is something ala dvd profiler / collectorz.com with a database that you can search through

how to find which pressing you have of a record by browsing? fields for matrixes, pictures of the colors, whether the jacket is glossy or not, barcode, etc.

edit: yes i know it's an almost impossible project.

This is would be rad.

A cataloging site would be nice. A small profile would be nice on it as well where someone could list what they are looking for vinyl-wise and links for their myspace/facebook/friendster profile.Maybe have a place where people could list record stores worth going to where they live.

I would even pay 10 bucks a year to help out.

Same here. I'd like to figure out a good way to combine something like recordnerd and the other pricing website who's name now escapes me. I'd be down to help if you wanted.

ive been wanting to put together a data base with pressing plants, places to get mailers as well as places that make jackets for LP's and etc...

That'd be a pretty sweet section to a general recordnerd-like site.

i dont know if i could handle copying all of the info from my google doc into another database. im interested in the concept, though. as i think a centralized place where we can all search for haves and wants would be fantastic. but, im confused as to what youre thinking of doing that deadformat.net doesnt provide. is it uniforming the tradelist so that they all look the same and can be easily searched?

Guest nickman

i've been pretty much coding everything that's been talked about in this thread during the past 2 months or so for deadformat, but it seems to me like not many people here are interested in it anyway. 8-)

This would be cool if you could: (random idea's)

- import lists of records (from excel, or txt or csv, or whatever)

- add pictures

- have different views of your lists (kinda like iTunes)

- rate the release (so you could get rankings)

- sort your list (or others) by different things; per band, label, format, genre

Thanks for all of the responses. A lot of you had a bunch of similar ideas to what I had, which is fantastic!

One of the main ideas I had was making it like a social networking site, but very limited. It's not going to be a Facebook or Myspace, but the ability to add a few friends and a small profile would work wonders.

I'm not a great web programmer, I've been designing websites since the mid-nineties, but when I went to college I kind of got out of the programming thing. However, I'm willing to try and learn a few things. I don't want to make any guarantees on what I can do, because I don't want to disappoint people, but like I said before, a lot of the things mentioned here are ideas I've had in my head.

Thanks for all the links people offered, I'm going to do some research on those websites today.

One of my main concerns and the focus of a lot of posts here are the fields that would be displayed. I saw some good suggestions in this thread that I would like to try and implement, here is what I had in mind:

Fields:

Artist

Album

Label

Year

Color

Pressing Info

Comments

Picture of the Record

Please quote that list and add your suggestions below it if you have any.

Thanks again for helping me with this. I'm sure I'll call on you guys for testing purposes and the like when the time comes.