Racist Relatives

The Freakonomics Blog includes a dude who is currently looking at race in MLB. He's finding that the ball-to-strike ratio changes depending on the race of the pitcher and umpire. If they agree, the strike end is higher. If they are different, there's more balls.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the school district i attended prided itself on it's 'diversity' (read: we have 40% 'minority' students, 95% of those minorities being black). there were clubs you weren't allowed to be in unless you were black. there were scholarships from the school you could only receive if you were black. when i went to college i had what i like to call reverse cultural shock, because there were probably literally 20 non-white students on a 2000 student campus. some of the kids there thought i was racist when i told them about my high school and expressed frustration at the inequality. if i wanted to start a club exclusively for white students (not that i wanted to), that would be a definite no-no and i would be branded a racist. why is it that minorities can start groups that i am barred from joining? that's not equality; that's just reverse racism.

the standards for being a national merit scholar are lower if you're a minority. then you can be a 'national achievement scholar' and still get your photo on the wall with the rest of the national merit scholars. if i was a minority student, i would be deeply offended by this. it seems to me that they're more or less implying that they can't do as well as non-minority students and therefore the standards are lowered. (you can only imagine how i feel about affirmative action, despite being a female)

i am well aware that it's not like this everywhere, but where i was raised, reverse discrimination was rampant.

see and this is where organizations like the NAACP are racist themselves. You bet your ass if i started An association for the advancement of white people i'd get flack for it.

on another interesting note, I have a bunch of jewish friends that really don't give a shit about the fact i'm German, but i've had conversations with Jews where the only reason they disliked me was because i was German. which is bullshit.

My great-grandfather was chosen to be trained for the SS, because of his blonde hair and blue and "pure aryan heritage." But he went to the training came back and said he would never go to that bullshit again. but a lot of Jews hear the word German and go "they must be a Nazi!"

although on the same side of the coin, i remember my grandma never really liking Russian people at all.

why is it that minorities can start groups that i am barred from joining? that's not equality; that's just reverse racism.

There's no such thing as "reverse racism." Racism is prejudice + power.

The reason it's okay for minorities to have groups and not for members of the majority to is because every single function that is not specifically for minorities is for the majority. For example, if you turn on the TV or look at almost any magazine, it's mostly going to be filled with white people. Almost everything that's not specifically "for black people" in this country is catered to white people. So even them having their own club is not even anywhere close to achieving "equality" yet.

the school district i attended prided itself on it's 'diversity' (read: we have 40% 'minority' students, 95% of those minorities being black). there were clubs you weren't allowed to be in unless you were black. there were scholarships from the school you could only receive if you were black. when i went to college i had what i like to call reverse cultural shock, because there were probably literally 20 non-white students on a 2000 student campus. some of the kids there thought i was racist when i told them about my high school and expressed frustration at the inequality. if i wanted to start a club exclusively for white students (not that i wanted to), that would be a definite no-no and i would be branded a racist. why is it that minorities can start groups that i am barred from joining? that's not equality; that's just reverse racism.

the standards for being a national merit scholar are lower if you're a minority. then you can be a 'national achievement scholar' and still get your photo on the wall with the rest of the national merit scholars. if i was a minority student, i would be deeply offended by this. it seems to me that they're more or less implying that they can't do as well as non-minority students and therefore the standards are lowered. (you can only imagine how i feel about affirmative action, despite being a female)

i am well aware that it's not like this everywhere, but where i was raised, reverse discrimination was rampant.

fuck that shit pisses me off. that makes me hate black people even more.

Yeah because collectively every black person is responsible for that ::) . I really hope that is sarcasm

"Gypped" isn't just for the Irish though. It's a shot against Gypsies all over Europe.

I've never heard of Irish Twins until now.

i'd have to look into it, but didn't most gypsies originate from Ireland originally?

Irish twins are two children, born seperately in the same calendar year to the same woman... ie you were born in Jan, and your mom got pregnant immediately after you were born with another child....

why is it that minorities can start groups that i am barred from joining? that's not equality; that's just reverse racism.

The reason it's okay for minorities to have groups and not for members of the majority to is because every single function that is not specifically for minorities is for the majority. For example, if you turn on the TV or look at almost any magazine, it's mostly going to be filled with white people. Almost everything that's not specifically "for black people" in this country is catered to white people. So even them having their own club is not even anywhere close to achieving "equality" yet.

75% of the population in the US is white. thus, it stands to reason that the majority of people on television are a reflection of this. that doesn't make it right to have groups exclusive to one ethnicity or another. so no, it is not ok to have groups exclusive to one race in the public sector. black, white, hispanic, or otherwise.

i don't know what you mean when you say everything in this country is catered to white people. maybe you need to come live where i do? because here, there is no equality; as a white person i had less privileges than my black classmates.

75% of the population in the US is white. thus, it stands to reason that the majority of people on television are a reflection of this. that doesn't make it right to have groups exclusive to one ethnicity or another. so no, it is not ok to have groups exclusive to one race in the public sector. black, white, hispanic, or otherwise.

i don't know what you mean when you say everything in this country is catered to white people. maybe you need to come live where i do? because here, there is no equality; as a white person i had less privileges than my black classmates.

i understand exactly where you are coming from on this allison. in high school i was the only white kid in most of my classes. there would be like three hispanics, a couple of asians and then like 25 black kids. you want to talk about racism? almost every day there were kids trying to start shit with the "crackers". thats not to say that every black person in the school was a racist either. i got along with everyone for the most part.

i would have loved for someone to try and start an all white club in that school. i imagine some of the most ignorant shit you would have ever heard would have been said trying to undermine that idea.

I live in eastern Kentucky, racism is very abundant here. My entire High School run was filled with racism and the such, but I just tend to ignore it. Nothing I can do.

The people that live here that are racist are lost causes and fucking retarded. End of story. You know how many minorities we had in our school the entire time I went there? One. He was black and he left in the middle of the year. Sad.

White people may be a "majority" overall, but depending on where you live you could definitely be consider a minority. I went to (I say went bc I flunked out recently) a very ethnically diverse college where honestly I found myself to be the "sore thumb" out of the crowd being white. I never felt any prejudice nor cast any against my classmates, but I think the whole minority/majority debate should take population distribution into account. In some areas of the country, white isn't necessarily the most prevalent race and most people end up residing within close proximity to where they grew up sooo wouldn't that technically make them a minority as it is their only realm of experience?

why am I the only one not hating on this bullflip kid for being a complete obvious racist, he was talking about how much he hated jews in a different thread, we need this guy banned

why am I the only one not hating on this bullflip kid for being a complete obvious racist, he was talking about how much he hated jews in a different thread, we need this guy banned

Yeah because collectively every black person is responsible for that ::) . I really hope that is sarcasm

he's been called out plenty before and it went nowhere. i find it best to ignore people cuz they probably just do it for the attention.

What is this country doing wrong?

I lived in Toronto most of my life, which just happens to flip flop with London as the most multi-cultural city in the world. At one point, my family was the ONLY white family in our 21 story apartment building. I grew up seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting all manner of things and people that were different from myself. I did not fear it, I did not mock it; I explored it. The things I've learned and experienced from other people and cultures are some of my most prized possessions. What the fuck is wrong with this place?

People always play on the stereotypes of those different from themselves. Jewish, Black, Hispanic; fact is, these stereotypes are perpetuated not necessarily by those that are victims of the sweeping generalizations, but by those doing the sweeping.

Consider this notion: If a man believes he's going to die today, he'll probably find a way to make that happen.

Now apply that to the context of this discussion. It is a well known fact that the Black American population of this country is over-represented in our criminal justice system. Blacks make up nearly 50% of all inmates, but represent only, what 14% of the population at large? In 2002, 1 out of every 10 Black men aged 25 - 29 was incarcerated compared to less than 1 out of every 100 for the same group of White men. What do these statistics indicate; that Blacks are somehow predisposed to criminal activity as the stereotype would suggest?

I don't think so.

Now refer back to the thought about finding a way to fail. If you believe that all of the cards are stacked against you; if you're constantly facing an uphill battle, you can do one of two things: give up, or move up. This is called character. It would be mighty difficult to build character in an environment where you're constantly told how inferior you are, or how likely it is you will fail. Moreover; in an age where "thug life" is glamorized by our social media, there would be little ambition to prove otherwise.

I'm not making excuses. People that are victims of stereotypes often do not act in ways that would aid their own cause. But that's only part of it. The rest falls on me, you, the Mexican family down the street, and the Jewish family on the next block. It is illogical to expect different results within the same environment. We can't change those within that environment, but we can certainly change the environment itself.

I am very interested in tutoring underprivileged kids here in New Orleans once school starts in August. I have a teacher friend that works in a poor, black school, and the administration is thrilled that I have expressed interest in spending some time with some kids. In a world where the cards seem to be stacked against them, I'm going to try to put at least one back in their deck. Will I make a difference? In the grand scheme of things, probably not. But every snow drift begins with a single flake.

Fuck this talk. Do something. Teach a kid how to read. Bring a meal to the homeless man under the bridge. Instead of a test press, buy the poor family on the wrong side of town a microwave. Or at the very least, just let them know you're on their side.

Now refer back to the thought about finding a way to fail. If you believe that all of the cards are stacked against you; if you're constantly facing an uphill battle, you can do one of two things: give up, or move up. This is called character. It would be mighty difficult to build character in an environment where you're constantly told how inferior you are, or how likely it is you will fail. Moreover; in an age where "thug life" is glamorized by our social media, there would be little ambition to prove otherwise.

Fuck this talk. Do something. Teach a kid how to read. Bring a meal to the homeless man under the bridge. Instead of a test press, buy the poor family on the wrong side of town a microwave. Or at the very least, just let them know you're on their side.

What a shock, I completely agree with you!

I grew up in a really diverse neighborhood and am so thankful that I was able to be immersed in so many different cultures and ways of thinking all at once; it's something I wish everyone could experience.

The point you made about actually getting out and doing something for you community is an idea I find to be incredibly importance. When I was in high school I used to help the younger kids in the neighborhood with their homework and even helped a couple kids learn how to play guitar. It's great to know that I at least did something when I had the chance.

Oddly enough, I went and saw Andrew Jackson Jihad the other night and they played a new song which featured a line that, if I remember correctly, went something like "I could be a pussy and move to Portland or New York, or I could try and make a change in my own hometown." To me, it summed up exactly how I feel about issues such as this. It's all too easy to just talk about fixing things like inequality, poverty, etc. when you are immersed in culture, but it is much more telling of a person when they make the effort to actually make a difference in their community instead of just talking about it.

What a shock, I completely agree with you!

I grew up in a really diverse neighborhood and am so thankful that I was able to be immersed in so many different cultures and ways of thinking all at once; it's something I wish everyone could experience.

The point you made about actually getting out and doing something for you community is an idea I find to be incredibly importance. When I was in high school I used to help the younger kids in the neighborhood with their homework and even helped a couple kids learn how to play guitar. It's great to know that I at least did something when I had the chance.

Oddly enough, I went and saw Andrew Jackson Jihad the other night and they played a new song which featured a line that, if I remember correctly, went something like "I could be a pussy and move to Portland or New York, or I could try and make a change in my own hometown." To me, it summed up exactly how I feel about issues such as this. It's all too easy to just talk about fixing things like inequality, poverty, etc. when you are immersed in culture, but it is much more telling of a person when they make the effort to actually make a difference in their community instead of just talking about it.

That's awesome. I have a stand up bit about how much I hate people who move to Portland (or other "culture hubs") instead of making something special where they are. Not of fan of hipster starter kits.

that was obviously a joke. but i hate that that shit happens. black people get special treatment at work and at schools. its unfair. reverse racism should just be called ass backwards racism. and i never mentioned hating jews ever.

Streets gentrified like it's no problem.

Boys in bands still singing about killing their girlfriends.

People leave communities while their still struggling.

Come on everybody sing along, we're to blame.

Punks start dealing with their own white privilige.

We tell all the boys to stop being so aggressive.

Actually giving a shit about the place we live in.

Come on everybody sing along, let's fix this.

People ask me all the time why I don't want to move out of Buffalo. I rarely explain it, but I really would like to be a part of making it better. I am a certified teacher, although looking for a job, I work in the parks department, I used to work in an afterschool program. I'm on board with you guys, the people who cut and run aren't making anything better at all.

One of my good friends from my certification program took a job down in Maryland. I was with him one time when someone spent at least 20 minutes trying to convince him to reject the offer from the district he was in because it was a shitty county full of impoverished people. The person kept telling him to move to the next county where they pay better and the kids are well behaved because it's a wealthier suburb. He kept stating that he didn't want to work in a privileged neighborhood, because they have all the cards already. He wanted to spend his time with people who wouldn't take him for granted and could use the help. It really inspired me.

So many of my friends want to work in the Williamsville or Clarence districts... fuck that.