I need recommendations for cigars and liquor

I second Gray Goose for vodka

Hell, I don't even like vodka and I like drinking Gray Goose.

Backed. I have a bottle of Grey Goose Pear vodka in the freezer. It dominates. It not only tastes great, it is also classy as the dickens.

High quality flavored liqours are the key to getting laid. OK, maybe it's just because it's alcohol. However, I tend to take the side of Grey Goose's quality being magically improved by people's perception of how great it is. It certainly isn't bad, but Van Gogh is some seriously awesome vodka.

OK, here are my recommendations... first, don't get Grey Goose. I realize its pretty popular, but thats exactly why we're avoiding it. I would go with Imperia instead. Its a higher quality vodka, and a bit harder to find, but you shouldn't have any problem finding it at any decent liquor store in your area, or a BevMo, or even Albertsons sometimes has it. This is a sweet bottle that will set you back ~$30. This is the way I'd go if you want to get your dad something a little different.

For cigars, there really are so many different varieties, flavors, styles that it is absolutely impossible to make a recommendation, unless you just want to get him something expensive. I prefer certain Rock Patel cigars, but what I like could be completely different from what your dad likes. My best advice is to ask your mom what sort of cigars your dad normally smokes (try to get as much info as possible, don't just go with the brand name as brands have different lines). Then, go to a cigar shop (make sure its a place that knows what they're talking about, don't go to a liquor store and just grab what they have) and tell the guy your dad normally smokes brand X cigar and that you would like to get your father something else he might enjoy if he likes those. There are many, many types, from very sweet to very peppery. Not only that, but the length and girth can have an effect on the smoothness and draw (the amount of smoke you can get per puff).

Cigars are very, very personal and can get very expensive. I bought cigars for my dad for Father's Day and spent $65 on four. I got cigars that had similar characteristics to his normal cigar and he only really enjoyed two of the ones I got him.

Hope that helps.

A medium sized bottle will leave you plenty of money for stogies. I know nothing about stogies but am still confident saying that.

Where does Tanqueray rank against the Bombay? I've had Tanqueray and enjoyed it, but haven't had Bombay before.

Nothing wrong with some Tanqueray. I'd put it closer to 'regular' Bombay gin as far as a similar price/quality. You should definitely try some Bombay Sapphire. Good stuff.

Guest falloutcollapse
cross the border into canada and pick up some cubans while you're there.

i'd mail you some, but i'm pretty sure i'd go to jail for that.

also, if he's into scotch, he might also like Woodford Reserve bourbon. best thing i've had to drink EVAR.

Speaking of mail, did you get mine?

Guest falloutcollapse
totally! i posted three times about it, but i guess i forgot to send you a pm!

thanks a ton for the christmas present! it helped get me through a really tight week...

It's cool, glad you liked it!

I've had a couple Macanudo cigars and they're really good.

Scott, don't plan on getting him a box of cigars if you're buying booze too. Decent cigars usually run $5 each, and the better ones reaching $15 or $20. A box has 20 cigars in, so you do the math. Just plan on getting him a decent bottle of booze and then one or two nice cigars that he might enjoy. It might not seem like much, but if he enjoys cigars he'll love it.

cross the border into canada and pick up some cubans while you're there.

i'd mail you some, but i'm pretty sure i'd go to jail for that.

also, if he's into scotch, he might also like Woodford Reserve bourbon. best thing i've had to drink EVAR.

haha you just change the labels with domestic ones.. and viola!

As a recovering alcoholic, may I recommend the Glenn Morange 10 or 12 year old. The 14 tastes a little too boggy.

And you'd have to have a pretty damn sensitive sniffer to tell a huge difference between Grey Goose and any other high-end vodka.

Maybe I have a "pretty damn sensitive sniffer." I've been a vodka snob for years and there is a big difference in a lot of the high-end ones. Grey Goose and Belvedere are pretty much the same, but Chopin, Christiania, Absolut Level, Ketel One, etc...have very distinct tastes. I should add that I only drink vodka by the shot, ice cold. It does lose some flavor in mixes.