Pitchfork's Top 200 Songs of the 90s

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" will be number one.

God, I hope not. So many better choices.

you have to think in Pitchfork/bullshit marketing logic though, they need to pick something kinda off the wall to stir a bit of controversy and have people continually talk about this and spread the links and have it go viral.

God, I hope not. So many better choices.

you have to think in Pitchfork/bullshit marketing logic though, they need to pick something kinda off the wall to stir a bit of controversy and have people continually talk about this and spread the links and have it go viral.

As much as I dislike Nirvana, it has to be #1 or at least #2.

Rad's Top List of Pitchfork Lists That Are Stupid

1. That 90's one

2. That one with the music

3. This one

4. Didn't they do one of like, the best songs ever? If they did, that one sucks. Also wouldn't they have to pull all the ones from the 90's and just plop a bunch of others behind those if they already did that?

Guest errolwest

They put November rain on this list. Instant disqualification.

Pitch fork is lame, and putting ironic 90's jams on their shitty lists is not helping them.

I am curious about the top 10. It should be fun going through them all and see what I have and haven't heard, but I will hold off until all 200 are posted.

PF is what it is, but anytime you can discover some new tunes you have never heard before...well, that's always a good thing. I don't utilize PF myself, but if one does, more power to them.

Edit: I do agree that something by Nirvana will likely be in the top 5 or 10.

VH1 did a top whatever songs of the 90s and left off Everlong by the Foo Fighters. Not a big Foo Fighters song but even today I really enjoy that shit and it still gets pretty regular airplay. In my opinion that should be up there in the top 10 or even 5 with Hey Jealousy and Smells Like Teen Spirit (even though I don't like the song).

What the fuck is the point of these lists anyway? To boost people's ego on their obscure music collections?

As Kirby pointed out, there is a lot of stuff he hasn't heard. If it weren't for this list, it is doubtful he would have ever heard it. Purpose enough for you?

That's why I love these lists. I love discovering new music, especially really good music. I spent most of my time listening to "punk" in the 90s and missed out on a lot of great music. Stuff like this helps point out some things I may have missed or otherwise would have never heard of.