Top 10 Vinyl Myths

Guest luckylacquers

It's obviously a better idea to cut a 7" at 45 rpm, but to say that it usually sounds bad at 33 rpm doesn't seem fair.

Also, aren't 180 gram records better because distortion from vibrations is less noticeable? And less breakage? To bend a record enough to break it, you'd already have an unlistenable amount of warpage regardless of weight, I'd imagine.

Guest luckylacquers

"Considering this, there has yet to be a record made where the two sides of the grooves meet in the middle meaning a thicker record is not necessarily advantageous."

That is a poorly worded sentence. What I think she means to say is that "deeper grooves arent necessarily advantageous."

And the 33 thing is fair for the most part. Of course if you have a nice system with an amplified cartridge, you can get all the volume back plus some, and most cartridges today have small amps in them. Its just that much of the audience will at the same time complain that its too quiet...but its either that or let it distort...inner circle just cant handle the volume and wideness, so it also sounds more mono...

Guest luckylacquers

yep. you are right, it can be helpful for that reason in certain conditions. she also failed to mention that it's not the deepness of the groove that is providing any benefit, but the extra weight of the vinyl. to me its like a solid guitar. holds the tone like a heavy Les Paul, and i know some may disagree w/ that too, but i can feel it, so thats also my take.

Guest luckylacquers

hey thanks for the props. i wouldnt say its my top 10. but all pretty accurate. i think its in reverse order. i thought the #1 would be the most common, maybe i watched too much Letterman but it seems like 10 would be for sure. and i guess this is the most, when considering , eh, civilians...

will be in Mad-town, Wisco in 3 weeks. there is no such thing as pizza in Seattle. pizza gets better as you approach Chicago, there is no doubt..

was kinda hoping to hear other peoples top myths they've heard. it is a cool list.

Half of those aren't myths at all, just uneducated guesses. One of the biggest myths is definitely that albums on vinyl sound better than their CD counterparts. Not that it isn't possible, but these days it rarely happens because for the most part producers/mixers/mastering engineers simply don't care.