Ticket prices shows/concerts

I started writing a post in my Tumblr about ticket prices, but I started feeling guilty complaining about it. Is it me or are ticket prices pretty damn expensive these days?

This past week I skipped two shows because I thought the prices were a bit high for what they were.

$26 w/ fees for Yeasayer

$18 at the door for Ra Ra Riot (I think this was $13 in advanced)

I heard Gogol Bordello was going to sellout soon, so I went to get tickets and they're $36 after fees!

Now, not everything is crazy expensive, I just saw Tobacco for $10 and Forgetters this week is only $8. But roughly $20 for one band is pretty absurd! I didn't think any of the opening acts were notable on any of these shows. Although, after the show I did get into Washed Out who opened for Yeasayer (oops).

I know the prices are high because no one buys music these days, but what about those who still do?

I hate to complain, because I make enough money, but $50+ for my g/f and I to go to a show is absurd. Not a lot of great bands roll through Pittsburgh, so I want to go to as many as I can, but even I can't afford them all.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the things that you're NOT seeing but that also need to be paid. Hall rental, promoter, advertising, insurance, venue crew, equipment rental, the band's crew (tour manager, monitors, FOH, merch, techs), gas, catering. There's A LOT of distributing of your dollar going on in order to make that show happen.

The range of ticket prices for shows I go to is 90% in the 8-20$ range, which really isn't that bad especially when you compare it to other things (movies).

I almost never buy tickets online, and if I d o theres usually only 2-3 bucks extra. 12-15 on ticketmaster would makes a huge difference though.

I was going to go see ETID,TT and Howl in Louisville but decided against it after seeing the final charges:

Ticket price - $15

Fees/Taxes - $14.98

Agnostic Front/Mother of Mercy was like that too:

Ticket - $12

Fees/Taxes - 10.98

Different venues and different ticket holders. Seems to be a running theme now.

The range of ticket prices for shows I go to is 90% in the 8-20$ range, which really isn't that bad especially when you compare it to other things (movies).

I almost never buy tickets online, and if I d o theres usually only 2-3 bucks extra. 12-15 on ticketmaster would makes a huge difference though.

Those $26 were the same online and at the venue, which blows.

I only pay $5 for movies during the week.

Most of the shows I got to are in the 5-10 dollar range. Always hate having to go to real venues, because ticketmaster is usually involved. Those shows are usually 25-40 after the fucking service charge to print my god damn tickets.

For the most part, I find prices to be fair. Most of my costs come from the road trip. I live in a podunk town in northwest ohio, so I have anywhere from a one hour to three hour drive in any direction (toledo, cleveland, cincinnati, columbus) to check out bands.

The biggest problem I have is getting someone to tag along.

The fees are what kill the prices, live nation and ticketmaster are the only two that are absurd. the saves the day/motion city/say anything tix i wanted to buy had 11.19 per ticket in fees. That is more than some shows in just fees.

agreed. i don't have a problem paying $15-20 to see a band play that i like. granted, i can only afford to go because i still live at home, but i'm really deterred from going when the fees are almost as much or more than the ticket price. you know that extra fee money is going straight into the pocket of ticketmaster, etc instead of to the band or people who are actually deserving of it.

The place I catch shows here in town is usually in the $10-15 range. They offer tickets in advance through ticketweb, but the only time I've used that was with the Get Up Kids tour. There was a small fee, maybe $3?

I live in a podunk town in northwest ohio

Which one; are you near Bryan?

I don't think ticket prices are that high or unreasonable unless you're going to see Weezer or Pearl Jam or some classic rock act. If I didn't live close to the venues and couldn't skip out on fees, I'd agree that the prices are too high. I think the complaint is more to do with ticket fees than ticket prices.

The place I catch shows here in town is usually in the $10-15 range. They offer tickets in advance through ticketweb, but the only time I've used that was with the Get Up Kids tour. There was a small fee, maybe $3?
I live in a podunk town in northwest ohio

I'm about an hour and some change south of Bryan...mean Ol' Delphos.

Most of the shows I got to are in the 5-10 dollar range. Always hate having to go to real venues, because ticketmaster is usually involved. Those shows are usually 25-40 after the fucking service charge to print my god damn tickets.

For the most part, I find prices to be fair. Most of my costs come from the road trip. I live in a podunk town in northwest ohio, so I have anywhere from a one hour to three hour drive in any direction (toledo, cleveland, cincinnati, columbus) to check out bands.

Substitute podunk town in northwest ohio with podunk town in central pennsylvania and all of this applies to me too.

This is the only reason why I have never seen Deftones, and passed on Muse last time they were in town. $50 is a little too much money to me to go to one show. The Foo Fighters was the most expensive show I've been to at around $45 bucks or so.

I just went to the Mute/Rufio/Strung Out show in St. Louis and it was $17. I thought it was abnormally high for the bands as shows like that are usually in between $10 and $15, but I gladly paid it.

Substitute podunk town in northwest ohio with podunk town in central pennsylvania and all of this applies to me too.

and to think that i complain about having to drive to lancaster/baltimore/philly from harrisburg, haha.

the problem that i most run into is even when im willing to pay, if the show's on a weekday, i don't get out of work til 5, and driving to any of those places during rush hour puts me there way late.

avoid fees by going to the venue box office. Ticket prices seem to be outrageous sometimes, but i honestly don't mind it as much as going to a local show with bullshit bands and they charge $12.

this would mean driving 1.5-2hrs to baltimore or philly for me, which doesn't make any logical sense at all. yeah, i may live central to a lot of awesome cities, but sometimes it sucks.

Guest markovianprocess

I haven't had as many problems with ticket pricing as I have with merch pricing. At of Montreal last night, t-shirts were on sale for £20 (about $32) when the same shirt is listed on their website for $20 with a full album download code.

Buffalo isn't too dreadful when it comes to most ticket prices (outside of Ticketmaster/Live Nation). a couple venues use some different websites so the fees are a little less, which is nice. But Ticketmaster has been royally screwing everyone lately, which is total BS. Yeah, they need to make a profit, but ten bucks in fees on a fifteen dollar ticket?

I haven't had as many problems with ticket pricing as I have with merch pricing. At of Montreal last night, t-shirts were on sale for £20 (about $32) when the same shirt is listed on their website for $20 with a full album download code.

Some venues are shitheads and take a cut of merch sales. Don't know if that's the reason for the jacked up price, but I would assume it is.

I'm about an hour and some change south of Bryan...mean Ol' Delphos.

Cool, I've driven through your town. I have family in Findlay and Montpelier (just north of Bryan).

Buffalo isn't too dreadful when it comes to most ticket prices (outside of Ticketmaster/Live Nation). a couple venues use some different websites so the fees are a little less, which is nice. But Ticketmaster has been royally screwing everyone lately, which is total BS. Yeah, they need to make a profit, but ten bucks in fees on a fifteen dollar ticket?

I'm really disappointed that mohawk is selling tickets for deerhoof/xiu xiu this friday through ticketmaster. The show is 14 which I'm fine with because they're both big bands but getting tickets through ticketmaster runs the tickets up to $21. I'm just going to have to try my luck getting a ticket at the door.