Ticket prices shows/concerts

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/07/19/trap-thems-ryan-mckenney-responds-to-sacha-dunables-metalsucks-column/

it's a good read, he broke that shit down.

also, i just paid $40 to see LCD soundsystem in charlottesville. it was exremely steep, but i love lcd so it was worth it. i generally don't care about ticket prices. i reasoned it by the fact i went to virgin freefest the week before.

LCD was absolutely incredible at FreeFest! I was slack-jawed the whole set.

I'd pay top dollar to see LCD Soundsystem again.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before, but nearly every show I go to is $5. There is almost no band or tour package that I'd pay over $20 for at this point.

toooo cool for successful bands

not really, it's just that the more successful a band gets, the shittier the venues they play become.

take gaslight anthem, for example. when they started playing they were playing donation based shows, then the court tavern in new brunswick, then asbury lanes, then the knitting factory...the next time i saw them was in chicago at the house of blues, and then recently i saw them (for free, mind you) at the vic (which has the capacity for about 1800, i think).

i'm not gonna pay $25 plus fees for a band when it costs $6 for a PBR and a shirt costs $20

i know it isn't the bands fault for the cost of beer, and often shirt prices (bigger venues usually take a cut of merch) but i won't go see a show if it charges over $15.

This is the only reason why I have never seen Deftones, and passed on Muse last time they were in town. $50 is a little too much money to me to go to one show. The Foo Fighters was the most expensive show I've been to at around $45 bucks or so.

I just went to the Mute/Rufio/Strung Out show in St. Louis and it was $17. I thought it was abnormally high for the bands as shows like that are usually in between $10 and $15, but I gladly paid it.

I paid something around $30 to see the Deftones in 2007 after Saturday Night Wrist was released. It was a lot of money to pay for a show but I'm glad I did it. The Fall of Troy opened which was fun to watch all the more nu-metal fans in the audience observe in disapproval (with their arms crossed over their chests). It was a great show (I actualy snagged a guitar pick of Mr. Carpenter!) but the high price is what kept me from going to see them again this year. The show was on a Friday (+1) but paying $35 a ticket (I'd have to get the girlfriend one too) was just not feasible.

bringing a date is obviously where things get pricey for you boys.

my girlfriend and i go dutch, usually. she doesn't like it when i pay for her.

this happens on occasion, but usually whomever i'm dating a. offers/insists on paying and/or b. makes more money than i do. who am i to argue?

The closest venues for me are the ones in DC and Baltimore...that's a 90 minute drive either way, so I really have to watch how much I'm going to spend on tickets, beer, mickey ds, and merch.

Like I said before, I'm going to see Tim Barry/Josh Small for $10 this Friday in Bmore, then in a couple weeks I'll see Bad Books/RA!GC/etc for $15 in Bmore, so I'm definitely happy.

Explosions in the Sky played in Bmore a month ago in an old church for $13 ($16.50 with fees) and I would've honestly payed $30 if I had to -- that was one band I had to see.

I think it depends on the venue now -- 930 Club in DC seems to be on an unnecessary ego trip. Rock and Roll Hotel in DC has legit prices, and The Ottobar in Baltimore is always stickin' it to the man. Their fees through missiontix are always $3.50 and ticket prices are goddamn low.

I just wish I didn't live so far away.

bringing a date is obviously where things get pricey for you boys.

This.

I just took my wife to see Jimmy Eat World at The Wiltern in LA and the ticket prices were insane, after taxes and fees almost $50 a ticket. I didn't even want to go, I've seen em' several times before... but she really wanted too.

maybe quit going to mainstream concerts?

most shows i go to are still 5-10 dollars.

though i agree on the "convenience" charges. the last couple of larger shows i went to had some ridiculous charges. I wish they would just include that in with the cost of the ticket. I get that you have to make money and charge for stuff, etc. but dont advertise your fucking show all over the place as 12$ and then when i go to buy a ticket there are 8.10 in convenience charges which actually makes it a 20$+ show. (that recently happened to me). If i knew it was a 20 dollar show i would have passed, instead i got excited only to get pissed when i saw the total.

LCD was absolutely incredible at FreeFest! I was slack-jawed the whole set.

for real, dudes. what a fucking live show they put on. plus, this was potentially their last east coast run ever. i would loooove to see them with hot chip on the west coast. note to everyone: pay whatever they charge, it's worth it.

though i agree on the "convenience" charges. the last couple of larger shows i went to had some ridiculous charges. I wish they would just include that in with the cost of the ticket. I get that you have to make money and charge for stuff, etc. but dont advertise your fucking show all over the place as 12$ and then when i go to buy a ticket there are 8.10 in convenience charges which actually makes it a 20$+ show. (that recently happened to me). If i knew it was a 20 dollar show i would have passed, instead i got excited only to get pissed when i saw the total.

so....i should stop liking relatively popular bands? does not compute.

the only shows (around here at least, i cant speak for everyone) that are $5 or $10 are diy ones in garages, or houses that hold maybe 100 people tops.

for real, dudes. what a fucking live show they put on. plus, this was potentially their last east coast run ever. i would loooove to see them with hot chip on the west coast. note to everyone: pay whatever they charge, it's worth it.

I'm actually thinking of going to see them on the tour w/ Hot Chip, because I've been dying to see Hot Chip too.

I saw LCD at Bonnaroo and Free Fest and both times were mind blowing. Literally the second time, because I had a headache and was on the verge of passing out.

the only shows (around here at least, i cant speak for everyone) that are $5 or $10 are diy ones in garages, or houses that hold maybe 100 people tops.

POPULAR = UNCOOL

DUH!

POPULAR = UNCOOL

DUH!

i'm doing it wrong :[ :[ :[

INFINITE ROBOT SADFACES.

I rarely get to go out to shows due to my school/gig schedule, so I just go to fest and take care of a shit ton of bands in a 5 day span (including Tampa pre-fest).

As for the higher end of the price spectrum...I don't mind paying the money, despite the stupid extra charges, if it is a band/artist I really want to see (or may never see again). Example, I paid the $20+ to see Screeching Weasel, but I refuse to pay $60 to see Bob Dylan...mainly because the venue sucks (USF Sundome). I would pay $60 to see Bob in a better venue, because he may not be around much longer.

i don't think most people here go to the same shows you and only 5 people on this board go to.

I rarely get to go out to shows due to my school/gig schedule, so I just go to fest and take care of a shit ton of bands in a 5 day span (including Tampa pre-fest).

As for the higher end of the price spectrum...I don't mind paying the money, despite the stupid extra charges, if it is a band/artist I really want to see (or may never see again). Example, I paid the $20+ to see Screeching Weasel, but I refuse to pay $60 to see Bob Dylan...mainly because the venue sucks (USF Sundome). I would pay $60 to see Bob in a better venue, because he may not be around much longer.

bob dylan isnt worth $10 to see live. saw him about 5 years ago and it was not worth it. i like his music, but he's not the entertainer he use to be. it was sad. sorta like watching a dog die and you just want to put it out of it's misery kinda sad.

with that said, i'm lucky to live in a city that shows are usually paid at the door, and if not, surcharges are only 3 or 4 bucks tops. shows i go to are around $5-$15 bucks max. the more expensive, being like fugazi or get up kids.