AAR LP, MANSON LP, MADE OUT OF BABIES LP, GHASTLY

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Thread officially rules.

Anyway, man, I might actually be caught up with all the orders by Wednesday. Real stoked on that - been slaving away at getting these out. Did two trips to the post office today alone! So everyone should most likely be seeing everything by late next week (depending on your country of course). Seriously appreciate all the work...

Next Manson installment is being worked on right now. Mainly trying to figure out what songs go on this one. Charlie also keeps waffling on whether "Trees" or "Water" should be next. We'll see...

As for pressing info, United ate like 600+ center labels out of nowhere, so the press run isn't complete yet. The purple wasn't even supposed to happen. Those were supposed to be gold. Don't know what's happening over there... they've screwed up so much stuff lately.

Damn, you guys know more about TWDY S/T pressing than I do at this point. Didn't even remember the red/blue thing. And yes, the mixy marble is just that United/No Idea mush stuff. i just don't have time anymore to look at all the mush and differentiate it into "berry blast" or "unicorn puke" or whatever. Maybe when things slow down and on future pressings, but right now that's just not happening.

If anyone wants to review the Manson record for any publication, please hit up Talia for a copy. [email protected] - she is handling all the press.

jonnywreck - thanks for saying that about the AAR record. It's definitely not mixed/mastered like most pop/rock records these days, so cranking it past where you'd normally listen to a modern LP is definitely going to yield "more."

Thanks again.

Haha. Thread officially rules.

Anyway, man, I might actually be caught up with all the orders by Wednesday. Real stoked on that - been slaving away at getting these out. Did two trips to the post office today alone! So everyone should most likely be seeing everything by late next week (depending on your country of course). Seriously appreciate all the work...

Next Manson installment is being worked on right now. Mainly trying to figure out what songs go on this one. Charlie also keeps waffling on whether "Trees" or "Water" should be next. We'll see...

As for pressing info, United ate like 600+ center labels out of nowhere, so the press run isn't complete yet. The purple wasn't even supposed to happen. Those were supposed to be gold. Don't know what's happening over there... they've screwed up so much stuff lately.

Damn, you guys know more about TWDY S/T pressing than I do at this point. Didn't even remember the red/blue thing. And yes, the mixy marble is just that United/No Idea mush stuff. i just don't have time anymore to look at all the mush and differentiate it into "berry blast" or "unicorn puke" or whatever. Maybe when things slow down and on future pressings, but right now that's just not happening.

If anyone wants to review the Manson record for any publication, please hit up Talia for a copy. [email protected] - she is handling all the press.

jonnywreck - thanks for saying that about the AAR record. It's definitely not mixed/mastered like most pop/rock records these days, so cranking it past where you'd normally listen to a modern LP is definitely going to yield "more."

Thanks again.

<3 Talia. She's amazing. Will hit her up.

loki - Agreed. Sweetest person. Don't give her beer though. She clocked our friend Dan in the face for "fun" and then took a swing at me, I ducked, and she landed her buttbone flush onto a curb! Now she sends my records out for reviews.

Oh shit, speaking of BEER, I know you guys only drink CRAFT BEER, but check it out, the Magic Bullet Band of Buds team just won the DC casting call for Vegas! I'm stoked. They're paying for us to fly out there and party for 4 days for a shot at $100k. If anyone lives around there or wants to be there for the chaos Dec. 15-18, DO IT. The DC event was fun as shit.

http://www.bandofbuds.com/market/washington-dc

[image]

[image]

Hey Vultures - haha. Did you get a headache on the first one?

sharkticon - Yeah man, we won! All those online votes made us the #1 seed heading into the casting party. I thought we'd lose at the event when I saw the other teams, but somehow we pulled it off. I made it rain and freestyle rapped, so maybe that helped? We also randomly pulled Jimmy Eat World's "The Middle" to perform on the Rock Band portion of the night, so that was a lock since we all knew that song. I had to sing, so I started by screaming "YO, WE'VE ONLY GOT 15 MINUTES TO PLAY. WE'RE THE ROWDY RODDY PIPERS FROM RICHMOND, VIRGINIA. TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER, KILL EVERYONE ELSE." Our friends sang the whole song with me HC gang-vocal style and people moshed. So much dumb fun.

scott: shut the fuck up. we get it. you don't like him. to the point where you can't listen to an album he put out. even though i think you get payed to do that.

you act like a child. this is coming from someone who is 10 years younger than you. grow up.

Maybe Magic Bullet didn't buy a big enough ad to pay for a review?

I quit wasting my time ever sending AP stuff for review, they were the only magazine I submitted to that didn't review the Spears record, even Outburn, Metal Hammer, Decibel, Revolver etc reviewed it. Never got less than a stellar review. AP wouldn't even give it a chance.

I can understand a magazine as big, and as corporately tied as AP not reviewing a lot of independent releases, but the extent to which they ignore anything related to independent or underground releases is astonishing.

Holy shit, where to begin?

1. Fuck you for assuming you know anything about how our company is run.

2. How are we "corporately tied"? AP is owned by one guy—the same guy who founded it 25 years ago on his mom's kitchen table, and the same guy who still comes in every day to work on it. We have under 20 employees. We're a pretty goddamned small business, and one that is extremely proud to be independent.

3. Saying that we "ignore indepedent/underground" releases is completely bullshit. I am the music editor. I personally decide what gets covered and what doesn't. In the new issue (AP 269), out of the 30-plus reviews in print, do you want to know how many were released on a major label? TWO. The rest of the section contains reviews of releases from Solid State, Triple Crown, Important, Rising Pulse, Nuclear Blast, Merge, Warp, No Idea, Fat, Hydra Head, Temporary Residence, Strike First, Rekords, Rise, Asian Man, Tooth & Nail, Noise Pollution, Drag City, Fearless, Don't Stop Believin', End Sounds, Equal Vision, SideOneDummy, Sleep It Off, LAW, Modhouse and Victory, PLUS a handful of self-released titles. This is typical for the reviews section monthly.

4. Implying that labels need to buy ads to get their titles reviewed is complete and utter horseshit. Again, I personally decide what gets reviewed every month. Our advertising department has no say in what I choose to have covered. And again, out of the 30-plus titles reviewed in the new issue, you want to know how many also have ads in the issue? SIX. And out of those six, four were panned!

5. Between our magazine and our website, we review roughly 50-60 albums a month. I get roughly that many review submissions per week, if not more. Sending in music for review does not guarantee that it will be reviewed, because we don't have time or space (or the budget) to review everything sent to us. If it makes you feel any better, Maximumrocknroll and Punk Planet never reviewed my first band's CD.

6. To say that "AP wouldn't even give [the Spears record] a chance"—did you ever try FOLLOWING UP WITH ME to see if I listened to it, and if so, if there were any possibilities for coverage? Shit, man, my email address is plastered all over the internet. Sending in unsolicited material and then just EXPECTING that you'll get covered is kind of silly. If you want something, work for it!

People can bash AP all they want because 99.999% of their criticisms are hollow, uninformed and generally meaningless. However, I'm always happy to answer any questions or clear up any questions people may have. To the rest of you, get fucked.

i'm not a huge fan of AP anymore, but in Scott's defense they really just sell to the age group that will predominantly buy their magazine. i used to really dig the mag when in high school but now that musical taste has expanded beyond what is mostly covered in AP i stopped buying it. i will occasionally flip through it when in a bookstore to read the reviews but that's about it. i still think the magazine is something that's important for kids who are into music n such but as you get older then buy another magazine.

:D