Looking for a dog - Help!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boston terriers are nutcases... in fact most terriers are.

my puppy Jazzy is half pit/half boston... shes a 20lb wrecking machine that has a near 5 foot vertical leap.... she's totally fearless, boundless energy, and will eat anything she can get in her mouth.

i'm not one for little dogs, but i'd go corgi, or french bulldog if i was forced to.

also labs are awesome dogs for older folks provided you get a senior dog... mine are just starting to chill out at 8ish years of age.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I thought Boston Terriers were crazy. ???

I dunno I think it depends on the individual dog. The Boston's that I've met have been super chill. They keep one in this Chiropractor office I visit.

I have a lab and he's super hyper most of the time. All dogs should get exercise and play time to keep them chill. Or you could just get a cat.

my mom has two miniature pomeranians that are awesomeee. one is 14 years old and the other is about 7. super distinct personalities between the two. little watch dogs but super chill otherwise...would totally recommend one for mine if my grandmother didn't subsist on souls from living creatures.

did i mention they freakin' look like THIS?!

[image]

my dogs are stupid legit. i miss them so much.

i can't wait to get one for myself!

My GF found one and tried to find the owner, but ended up keeping it. If you get it groomed all the way down it looks like a little fox.

if she wants a big, but easy-going and relaxed dog she should check out the american alsatian.

from wikipedia: Although the American Alsatian can be trained to work and some have been successful as wilderness search and rescue dogs, this breed does not possess a strong desire for the physical demands of most working dog endeavors.[5] The American Alsatian is most suited for the gentle work of therapy dogs or Reading Assistance Education Dogs (READ).

If you want a great lap dog then go with a Toy Maltese. Mine is 11.5 pounds and is pretty calm most of the time. If it's just my wife and I sitting around she will be sitting on one of us the majority of the time. Or laying on top of the couch. The only time she gets really excited is when someone comes over and she goes crazy for 10 minutes or so. She doesn't shed either, which is great after growing up with a golden retriever.

If you want a great lap dog then go with a Toy Maltese. Mine is 11.5 pounds and is pretty calm most of the time. If it's just my wife and I sitting around she will be sitting on one of us the majority of the time. Or laying on top of the couch. The only time she gets really excited is when someone comes over and she goes crazy for 10 minutes or so. She doesn't shed either, which is great after growing up with a golden retriever.

She's cute!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

[image]

japanese chin, cutest dog on the PLANET. the family my girlfriend nannies for has one and it is so funny. they need probably 2 short walks a day. smaller sized dog. they aren't needy, but enjoy affection. these dogs were the dogs of japanese royalty!

i wish i could get a dog!

My roommate has a Japanese Chin, and it's got more energy than any other dog i've ever met... it behaves well, but it runs around like a madman.

We have two chihuahua's, and I think they're amazing dogs. That's coming from someone who until I got my chihuahua Jedi, only had dogs that were larger than 70 pounds.

[image]

I have seen chihuahua's that are horrible, but maybe we lucked out. My girlfriend's dog Bella is a little bit mean sometimes, like if she has a bone or rawhide and you start getting close to her, she growls and will try and bite if you take it from her, but otherwise she's great.

[image]

I think Jedi might be retarded, but that's what makes him so great. Everyone who has met him and hated chihuahua's beforehand were blown away by him. He's not yappy, he's not mean, he isn't really much of a lapdog. I always tell people he's really a miniature doberman disguised as a chihuahua, which is sort of believable since he weighs about 11 pounds.

We have a Frenchie and she has relatively high energy. She doesn't need a ton of exercise, but they are definitely not a low energy breed, at least not as puppies. They can also have a good amount of health problems, so they might not be good for your grandmother unless she is ok with going to the vet often. They sure are cute though! This is Stella:

[image]

weird, we have a Stella too:

[image]

[image]

we're not even entirely sure what breed she's a mix of.

dachshund? beagle? basset hound? some kind of hound! maybe even some lab.

she's a total lapdog, spoiled rotten. she has her "mad dog" moments where she does laps around the yard or the house, up and down stairs, off the couches. she wants to crawl up on you and lick every part of your face.

definitely the type of dog that might push an elderly grandma down the stairs.