people bitching about the price of records

flood

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to play devil's advocate, but...

No Idea charges $8 for an LP before shipping.

I usually charge no more than $11.99 ppd.

They've been around for 25 years, and I've been around for 15. We all make very, very, very comfortable livings.

If you're paying $17 for an LP, you're a sucker and deserve to be parted from your money. Real talk.

agreed.

also, just because a lot of record stores charge 20 bucks for a new lp, doesnt make it OK, and doesnt mean you have to pay that.

i run a record store, and only about 1 out of every 100 LP records (if that even) are more than 15 bucks. and even then its usually only because its a double LP imported from germany or something like that.

I have complained about the price of records.

I have complained about the shipping cost of records.

So have pretty much EVERYONE in this thread.

It's not a bad thing to do, and sure, many people are flipping their records.

However, like the guy from Magic Bullet said, these people make comfortable livings, and choose to press low amounts of records on certain to make them collectable. They know people will do this, they pretty much made it to happen this way.

But, to start a thread about how you're so pissed off about people talking about it, is completely silly.

You're bitching about people who bitch about something.

Everyone complains, get the fuck over it.

Guest markovianprocess
ALSO, people in the US should be glad they don't live overseas and have to pay more for shipping than the record itself.

Amen to that! Makes me cringe reading some of the peolple bitching about $15

It does suck when you see awesome deals then factor in the $10-15 shipping per record. I'd pick up way more Magic Bullet releases if international shipping didn't suck so much. That's not anyone's fault, and there isn't anything we can really do about it.

However, like the guy from Magic Bullet said, these people make comfortable livings, and choose to press low amounts of records on certain to make them collectable. They know people will do this, they pretty much made it to happen this way.

i don't follow your logic in regard to what brent said.

i don't follow your logic in regard to what brent said.

Haha, the way I worded it is off.

I simply meant to just quote that, these people who are pressing records, they do make comfortable livings off what they do. It's not like they are poor people who need to charge 17 bucks a record and then drop a 5 - 6 buck shipping fee.

For example the people at Hydra Head are pressing records and charing 19 dollars, and charing 5.77 shipping, for one record.

That's completely silly. I can ship up to 4 record for that cost.

As for the part about the pressing info, it was supposed to be two sentences, and I fucked up.

But also:

If you have a ton of new titles every year, you can charge a little less because you have so many titles making money. Most little labels don't have that kind of money to put out a ton of titles at once though.

You know how I got to the point where I could put out a slew of new releases every month/every year? By not ripping people off! We sold the first Boy Sets Fire CD for $5ppd (still do). You have no idea how many tens of thousands of those we sold from my college apartment. If I were to charge $17 for them (like everyone else was at the time), we would have sold only like 1000-2000 and the label would probably be gone by now.

We sell a ton of records and we grow every year because they're inexpensive and anybody can afford them. Our profit comes from volume, not scarcity. And isn't the point of a record label to put as many copies of a band's recording into the hands of as many people as humanly possible? I know I'd be bummed if I spent a year writing a record and the label only made 300 for "collectors" and then OOP.

I've got 11 or so LP's and 10"s priced at $5.00 at http://www.magicbulletrecords.com/mailorder.html

Guess what? I still make money on those. We press enough that our per-piece cost allows us to treat customers' wallets and financial situations with respect.

markovian - email me at [email protected] for consolidated international shipping rates. The Euro is much stronger than the dollar, so you'll still come out ahead...

Not to play devil's advocate, but...

No Idea charges $8 for an LP before shipping.

I usually charge no more than $11.99 ppd.

They've been around for 25 years, and I've been around for 15. We all make very, very, very comfortable livings.

If you're paying $17 for an LP, you're a sucker and deserve to be parted from your money. Real talk.

agreed.

also, just because a lot of record stores charge 20 bucks for a new lp, doesnt make it OK, and doesnt mean you have to pay that.

i run a record store, and only about 1 out of every 100 LP records (if that even) are more than 15 bucks. and even then its usually only because its a double LP imported from germany or something like that.

I agree, but different labels/bands do things differently...it's just how it is. Does it make them better or worse? I personally don't think so, but that's just me. Nowadays, if something is too pricey for me, I won't buy it right away because I know I have a good chance of finding one at a better price if I just lurk distros, boards, and ebay.

agreed.

I agree, but different labels/bands do things differently...it's just how it is. Does it make them better or worse? I personally don't think so, but that's just me. Nowadays, if something is too pricey for me, I won't buy it right away because I know I have a good chance of finding one at a better price if I just lurk distros, boards, and ebay.

if you're not buying something from a label because it's too pricey and you think/know that you can get it cheaper elsewhere, then yeah, that label is worse than another who prices things so that you'll buy it direct from them.

if you're not buying something from a label because it's too pricey and you think/know that you can get it cheaper elsewhere, then yeah, that label is worse than another who prices things so that you'll buy it direct from them.

More expensive doesn't equal worse in my eyes. Sure I won't buy it from them (directly), but I don't have anything against them for charging what they charge...or something like that.

The cost also takes into account the packaging and design of the vinyl itself. Plain black or No Idea grey vinyl have to be cheaper to press than that 3 color rasta Blink 182 bullshit. Gatefolds cost more than regular single sleeves, screenprinting costs more that regular jackets. I've never pressed a record but I assume this is true. We all enjoy the tactile and physical aspects of owning a record in addition to sound quality, it's why we buy these things. If you're going to complain about paying for that extra bit of enjoyment of playing your music in this medium, supporting the band and everyone else who put forth the effort to make the album, there's always mediafire.

More expensive doesn't equal worse in my eyes. Sure I won't buy it from them (directly), but I don't have anything against them for charging what they charge...or something like that.

by 'worse' i meant that they're doing something wrong on the business end. their goal is to make money off of you (and to put out enjoyable music, etc etc blah blah blah), and if you won't buy it from them for whatever reason, then their business will fail.

Guest markovianprocess
screenprinting costs more that regular jackets.

I don't think it does...surely screenprinting some paper/card fold-over covers is cheaper than regular jackets?

screenprinting costs more that regular jackets.

I don't think it does...surely screenprinting some paper/card fold-over covers is cheaper than regular jackets?

Apparently you've never paid for a screened record cover from a screenprinter*...

*screenprinter does not = your buddy with a speedball set up you pay with a case of beer.

Guest markovianprocess

Apparently you've never paid for a screened record cover from a screenprinter*...

*screenprinter does not = your buddy with a speedball set up you pay with a case of beer.

Apologies, I just assumed that because it looks like a cheaper approach that it would be cheaper.

A lot of people do screening because you can do it yourself or have someone do it fairly cheap with a basic DIY set up. However, professional screen printing with multiple colors and a well done design does (apparently) cost more. I don't know first hand but this is what I've been told by some dude who was a screenprinter (by the way, telling a guy how expensive your work is, is a weird ass way to make small talk).

It does suck when you see awesome deals then factor in the $10-15 shipping per record.

there is a very easy way to get around this. actually a couple ways. One is to save up and just place one large order as opposed to rushing out to pre order a record and get one at a time.

another is to order from a distro that carries a handful of records you are looking to get all at once.

or better yet, if you are ordering from a label, pick up a few other releases at the same time, and check out the other bands. who knows, you may end up really liking them.

you can spend 15$ on shipping for 1 record, or 20 for 2 records (10$ each), or 23 for 3 (~7.50 each), 25 for 4 (6.25 each, etc).

i have this happen a lot with international buyers at vinyl junkie. They simply wait to make a single order every couple of months or so, and get one large package shipped to them. If you order enough you can get the shipping down as low as 3$ or 4$ per LP.

it really helps because i know how much overseas shipping charges just pile up getting one record at a time from various spots.

But also:

If you have a ton of new titles every year, you can charge a little less because you have so many titles making money. Most little labels don't have that kind of money to put out a ton of titles at once though.

You know how I got to the point where I could put out a slew of new releases every month/every year? By not ripping people off! We sold the first Boy Sets Fire CD for $5ppd (still do). You have no idea how many tens of thousands of those we sold from my college apartment. If I were to charge $17 for them (like everyone else was at the time), we would have sold only like 1000-2000 and the label would probably be gone by now.

We sell a ton of records and we grow every year because they're inexpensive and anybody can afford them. Our profit comes from volume, not scarcity. And isn't the point of a record label to put as many copies of a band's recording into the hands of as many people as humanly possible? I know I'd be bummed if I spent a year writing a record and the label only made 300 for "collectors" and then OOP.

I've got 11 or so LP's and 10"s priced at $5.00 at http://www.magicbulletrecords.com/mailorder.html

Guess what? I still make money on those. We press enough that our per-piece cost allows us to treat customers' wallets and financial situations with respect.

markovian - email me at [email protected] for consolidated international shipping rates. The Euro is much stronger than the dollar, so you'll still come out ahead...

+1