shitty virgil situation

podface

Virgil didn't steal your money nor the money of your loved ones. If my mom buys me a gift card for Chili's and I don't want to eat there, I can't just call up the restaurant and ask for a refund. Either I spend it, give it to someone else or throw it away. Those are your options.

I assume your gift certificates are still active, and VC still has a store:

http://store.vinylcollective.com/store

Spend your $200 there and get some records. Even if there's nothing you like, buy $200 worth of stuff and turn around and sell it to a local record store or something.

To make your analogy work, it would be like buying someone a $250 Chili's gift card, that someone spending $50 at Chili's, then Chili's cutting their menu down to just ketchup.

And you are saying "shut up and eat your ketchup."

You mean to tell me you wouldn't want to eat $200 worth of ketchup? It sounds like my fantasy episode of Man Vs. Food.

Regardless, the VC store still currently stocks close to 150 items (not counting all the stuff Virgil sells via Limited Pressing auctions every week). If the guy still can't find anything he wants out of all of that, he can give the gift certificates away, sell them to someone else, etc. Virgil is under no obligation to make sure his inventory is up to this one guy's standards, just like how Chili's is under no obligation to keep my favorite dish on the menu.

To make your analogy work, it would be like buying someone a $250 Chili's gift card, that someone spending $50 at Chili's, then Chili's cutting their menu down to just ketchup.

And you are saying "shut up and eat your ketchup."

You mean to tell me you wouldn't want to eat $200 worth of ketchup? It sounds like my fantasy episode of Man Vs. Food.

Regardless, the VC store still currently stocks close to 150 items (not counting all the stuff Virgil sells via Limited Pressing auctions every week). If the guy still can't find anything he wants out of all of that, he can give the gift certificates away, sell them to someone else, etc. Virgil is under no obligation to make sure his inventory is up to this one guy's standards, just like how Chili's is under no obligation to keep my favorite dish on the menu.

I think you're being a little ridiculous. A year ago, VC was a massive distro with thousands of items. Now it's a label store with a few distro'd releases. And pint glasses.

I think you're being a little ridiculous. A year ago, VC was a massive distro with thousands of items. Now it's a label store with a few distro'd releases. And pint glasses.

The only point I'm trying to make is that Virgil really hasn't done anything wrong here, based on what the original poster wrote. (He mentioned a "list" that he gave Virgil in his original post, but there's been no explanation as to what that was for or anything.) Now, if Virgil went back to the guy and said, "Sorry, your gift certificates are no longer valid," then yes, that would suck, and yes, Virgil would probably deserve to be raked through the coals a bit. But from everything I can gather from the OP's comments in this thread, he seems upset because he has $200 (or less; his first post implies he placed a second order) and can't find anything worth spending it on. Again, that's not the merchant's responsibility.

Sell them to that company that pays cash for giftcards being advertised all day long on TV and shut the hell up. You weren't out any money, they were gifts.

Suddenly that Rush Hour gift set isn't looking so bad and you shouldn't have given your mom so much trouble about it.

Wow, you are a fucking idiot and an asshole...congrats! ::)

you're completely ignoring that this guy is trying to use these gift certificates with the little stock Virgil has left

The OP never, ever, ever said that. Judging by what he initially posted, it sounded like to me that he was trying to get his money back. Nowhere did he say Virgil was refusing to accept his gift certificates. If that is the situation, then yes, that sucks (as I said before), but the OP needs to come in here and explain further. You're being just as irrational as you're claiming me to be by stringing Virgil up already.

Then I heard nothing from virgil for a month or 2. Finally, after a few emails, he let me know that the whole relationship with interpunk wasn’t what he expected, and that he would prefer if I used up some of the GCs on his auction site and then we could “work out something” with the rest of it. I was a bit bummed, but my thought at the time was ‘it is what it is.’ I knew he was getting in a bit deep with labels and such, so I wasn’t gonna make a huge stink about it – plus, he was attempting to work things out – even in an untimely fashion. But then – no response again. Not even to the list I sent him.

Wouldn't you say refusing to answer emails since the summer is about the same as refusing to take his gift certificates?

Sell them to that company that pays cash for giftcards being advertised all day long on TV and shut the hell up. You weren't out any money, they were gifts.

Suddenly that Rush Hour gift set isn't looking so bad and you shouldn't have given your mom so much trouble about it.

Why? Cause I basically told the kid to fuck off?

If that's the case then you're absolutely correct. The poster didn't want to do anything but whine, get a bunch of sympathy comments that mean squat in the long run, and drum up animosity against Virgil which is nothing new and everybody is sick of reading about anyway.

Any of the actual solutions that have been proposed in this threat the guy could have come up with on his own if he spent two minutes thinking about it... instead of spending 10 minutes typing up his sob story.

So fuck off to him and his gift cards.

Then I heard nothing from virgil for a month or 2. Finally, after a few emails, he let me know that the whole relationship with interpunk wasn’t what he expected, and that he would prefer if I used up some of the GCs on his auction site and then we could “work out something” with the rest of it. I was a bit bummed, but my thought at the time was ‘it is what it is.’ I knew he was getting in a bit deep with labels and such, so I wasn’t gonna make a huge stink about it – plus, he was attempting to work things out – even in an untimely fashion. But then – no response again. Not even to the list I sent him.

Wouldn't you say refusing to answer emails since the summer is about the same as refusing to take his gift certificates?

No, because none of us have any idea about what was in those emails. Again, the OP's first post made it sound like he's been (politely) hounding Virgil for a refund. It definitely didn't come off like he was trying to use his gift certificates.

No, because none of us have any idea about what was in those emails. Again, the OP's first post made it sound like he's been (politely) hounding Virgil for a refund. It definitely didn't come off like he was trying to use his gift certificates.

Can you get a refund for a gift certificate that was given to you as a gift?

If that's the case then you're absolutely correct. The poster didn't want to do anything but whine, get a bunch of sympathy comments that mean squat in the long run, and drum up animosity against Virgil which is nothing new and everybody is sick of reading about anyway.

Any of the actual solutions that have been proposed in this threat the guy could have come up with on his own if he spent two minutes thinking about it... instead of spending 10 minutes typing up his sob story.

+1

Okay so heres the issue:

Last Christmas, my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I suggested a vc gift card. Ive been a loyal vc customer for about 2 years at that time, and I knew it would have been more useful than the rush hour special edition 3-pack dvd set I got the year before (she may be clueless but she means well.) So, apparently, as this is all I told her, when anyone asked her advice as to what to get me last year, she said vc gift cards. By the end of Christmas, I had about $250 in vc credit. I went on a shopping spree, getting the stuff I’ve been waiting to pick up after the holidays, and then I saved the rest. A couple of months later... vc wasn’t a distro anymore.

So with about $200 of store credit left over, I emailed virgil, telling him about the situation. He told me he’d be able to transfer the GCs over to interpunk if necessary, but he’d prefer I spent some of it at the VC store. Even though I picked up all I really wanted by then, I tried to use some of it up with some stuff I was a bit interested in or curious about.

This was the summer. Since then, I haven’t gotten one response, even with the persistent emails. I’ve always been respectful, kind, and totally up for working something out… but at this point, it seems like hes making away with $200 for nothing.

Obviously, its been over a year since it happened – I always considered posting it on the board, but I felt weird about it. One, it wasn’t really my money, but they were gifts purchased for me and the situation seems pretty unfair. Two, I realized labels (that I personally respect) might be getting fucked over way more than I am, and I felt like my situation was a bit petty in comparison. And three, I don’t really want this to explode into a virgil-hate-fest live ive seen previously. But maybe this is a way to get his attention, or get some advice from you guys on what I should do. Was it just bad timing and am I totally fucked? I don’t know, I just wish I’d get a response.

(wow.. didn’t mean to make it this long, sorry.)

[image]

scott - when i get the GCs, VC was a huge distro. 2 months later - we all knew what happened. that was tough shit on my part. so i emailed him, let him know my situation, and he responded fairly quickly telling me he would be happy to work something out (along the lines of transfering the credit to interpunk.) that didnt work out, so he told me to send a list of the shit i would want from the auction list. i did. twice. no response. i also DID use up alot of the GCs on stuff I usually wouldn't purchase just to make the situation easier. and i NEVER asked for any money back - just to work something out. its the complete lack of response.

wrong wrong wrong wrong. the main reason (which i mentioned in the original post) was to hopefully get virgil's attention. ive seen it happen here before - someone sends virgil a countless amount of emails - gets no response - makes a thread - and there he is. and frankly, i do think its a shitty situation, and thats fine if you dont care, but i DID get some helpful comments - i honestly didn't think anybody would be interested in the GCs at this point - but now i do - so im going to sell some.