Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra) - Daytrotter 7"

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who actually expects this release to come out is a little more then out of their mind, here in L.A. the character releasing this is well know, mostly for his shady business dealings and flakey incoherent booking practices. If these preorders ever make it up, I would never trust my hard earned money in the hands of Smelly Beard Records.

I haven't been on this board for too long, but in the few months I've been here I have sold/bought/traded with dozens of people. Before that, I was on dead format and before that i was on limited pressing. I've never had a deal go wrong and I think I have many people that can vouch for me on that.

I spoke with Ben Cooper about pressing Touch The Sky a few months back. He was interested and then decided it would be a digital only release. That's not a big deal, and I don't see how that makes me untrustworthy. Had I put up a pre-order, taken everyones money, never pressed a record and never replied to anyone about refunds - that would make me an untrustworthy person.

I think I know who this "southbaypunk" is because I don't know many people in south bay or LA for that matter, but If I'm correct I invited you to play a show in Murrieta and the next night you played a show at my house in LA. Within 5 minutes of arriving to the show in Murrieta until the end of the night you constantly complained, and my favorite is "If I had known how far away this place is, I would have never agreed to play". Is that my "flakey incoherent booking practices"? booking you a show 1 hour away from where you live?

I was directed to this thread by a couple friends in a comical "look what Joshua Wittenberg has gotten himself into this time" fashion. I think that alone speaks a bit on his credibility to those who know him personally. I too have unfortunately heard negative remarks about Josh's quality of...dealing with people, his friends included. Still, I genuinely want this release to happen, so I'll cross my fingers that it does.

So far what we've seen is some hype, set dates, and a couple broken promises. For me, and those who know Josh and are scoffing at this entire thread, it's nothing we haven't seen before. Again, I'm hoping to be proven wrong. Only time will tell. Maybe an 18 year old from LA WILL successfully print Andy Hull on two colored vinyl, maybe he won't. All I'm saying is, from what I've heard, it wouldn't be the first time it's been a bunch of hot air from Josh.

Maybe an 18 year old from LA WILL successfully print Andy Hull on two colored vinyl, maybe he won't.

it's actually 3 colors.

I'm not going to defend myself anymore so here is the current status on this record and why it has taken so long. Andy Hull is stoked on this release and is very easy to communicate with. If I email him I receive a reply within an hour or two. Daytrotter on the other hand has taken one to two weeks during our email conversation to reply to single messages, and we have had to work out a form of "mechanicals" for this record to see the light of day. Also, this would not only be a Smelly Beard Records release but Daytrotter's first vinyl release as well and they would be selling these out of their store too. This shit takes time (especially for the first release on a label) and there are many dudes that run labels and post on VC that would agree with that.

I don't really see the point of coming onto a vinyl message board and telling everyone that I treat my friends bad and book lame shows. The people who want this to come out are not interested in my personal life, they are interested in records. which is why they post here. I probably made this thread a little too early, but that's because I wanted to inform everyone on VC that this is happening.

When there is any new information on this, VC will be the first to know.

I don't see how announcing a release and then taking his time is "bad practice". He said the pre-order would be a certain day, but then he wasn't ready for it, so he's putting it off until he has more solid info and dates. That, to me, seems like much better practice than going through with the pre-order and have us wait for ages. I'll for sure be picking this up and smellybeard seems like a pretty good dude to me.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is why Daytrotter would want to team up with an unknown, brand new label called Smelly Beard to release their first vinyl release that they would sell in their store. Daytrotter is a pretty well-known company so I'd assume they would just do it themselves or team up with a more proven label.

Also I think it's pretty unprofessional for the guy from Smelly Beard to come on here and complain about how long it's taken Daytrotter to respond to his emails and try to shift the responsibility onto them. Something just doesn't seem right to me here.