.recommendations.

Hey, we all have semi obscure bands we absolutely adore that never quite got attention or fell off the radar years ago.

This isn't an invitation to talk about Brand New...dig deep.

post some recommendations...but tell a small story of where you heard them...what album to start with, etc...

my first pick:

Love Spit Love.

Richard Butler's band after the Psychedelic Furs broke up, I first heard this band on the Angus soundtrack(which is a fantastic pop-punk compilation).

The easiest way I can think to describe this bands was if the Psychedelic Furs were Jawbreaker... this is Jets to Brazil(or Husker Du to SUGAR/Mould solo). It's not drastically different from the Furs pop music...but there is a difference... I don't know...there's a orchestral element not present on Furs records, even the later ones that I've heard.

Their two records are pretty hypnotic. When I get in the mood and listen to them there's not a single song that I skip past. I love both of their records, I found the self titled first, so I'd say go for that one...but IMO they're both pretty equal. If you go by allmusic.com's rating they say Trysome Eatone is better...but I really love the first record. I imagine these are available on vinyl but I found them both is the used cheapo bin section and off half.com for cheap on CD.

I don't know how big they ever got, but I don't think people know who they are...if you REALLY can't find copies I'd gladly trade CDr copies for some of your recommendations.

read more:

www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=LOVE|SPIT|LOVE&sql=11:hxfexqe5ldde~T2

[copy and paste the above doesn't translate into the url links]

Heart cross love. Saw them a bunch when I was in high school, haven't heard anything in years except they broke up. Was never able to get any of their stuff either. Total bummer.

EDIT: IIRC, they were screamoish stuffs.

EDIT 2: Fuck, found them on myspace though I can't tell if they have songs up because my plugins arefucked on this computer. I guess some kids from comadre were in it, didn't realize that at all. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13300208

Hey, we all have semi obscure bands we absolutely adore that never quite got attention or fell off the radar years ago.

This isn't an invitation to talk about Brand New...dig deep.

post some recommendations...but tell a small story of where you heard them...what album to start with, etc...

my first pick:

Love Spit Love.

Richard Butler's band after the Psychedelic Furs broke up, I first heard this band on the Angus soundtrack(which is a fantastic pop-punk compilation).

The easiest way I can think to describe this bands was if the Psychedelic Furs were Jawbreaker... this is Jets to Brazil(or Husker Du to SUGAR/Mould solo). It's not drastically different from the Furs pop music...but there is a difference... I don't know...there's a orchestral element not present on Furs records, even the later ones that I've heard.

Their two records are pretty hypnotic. When I get in the mood and listen to them there's not a single song that I skip past. I love both of their records, I found the self titled first, so I'd say go for that one...but IMO they're both pretty equal. If you go by allmusic.com's rating they say Trysome Eatone is better...but I really love the first record. I imagine these are available on vinyl but I found them both is the used cheapo bin section and off half.com for cheap on CD.

I don't know how big they ever got, but I don't think people know who they are...if you REALLY can't find copies I'd gladly trade CDr copies for some of your recommendations.

read more:

www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=LOVE|SPIT|LOVE&sql=11:hxfexqe5ldde~T2

[copy and paste the above doesn't translate into the url links]

Dude, big +1 for the Furs/LSL love. I really want to do a heavy cover of "Dumb Waiters".

I'm going to take this chance to flog a dead horse and bring up Jason Webley. Dude has an amazing cult following but not a big fan base. He sounds sort of singer songwriter sometimes, and sometimes like a more melodic Tom Waits with pop sensibilities.

The first time I saw him live was with about 45 other kids and he performed solo with no mic or anything. I was particularly impressed because he covered "Hey Ya" amazingly well for a single white dude with an accordion. I've never seen one dude (unplugged mind you), stomp and bellow such an amazing performance that it seemed more impressive than most full bands.

Guy is also a vinyl supporter releasing a series of limited (1,111) seven inches that are colored, feature unique art and stories from the contributing artists. Good shit.

Also a great band, Arnocorps. It's exactly what it sounds like, punk/metal/hardcore themed music around Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. It's slightly corny but the music is actually amazing. Two guitarists, two bassists, and a midget drummer all playing exceptionally well, while a singer belts out lyrics in a killer mid-1980's Arnold impression. http://www.myspace.com/arnocorps

The seller is their live show. The first time I saw them the club owner threatened to stop the show twice unless they quit stage diving and jumping off of things (partially because they broke a ceiling fan when the lead singer kicked it...yes kicked the ceiling fan). The fire marshal showed up. And they basically spent more time in the crowd than on stage. It was insane.

Also a great band, Arnocorps. It's exactly what it sounds like, punk/metal/hardcore themed music around Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. It's slightly corny but the music is actually amazing. Two guitarists, two bassists, and a midget drummer all playing exceptionally well, while a singer belts out lyrics in a killer mid-1980's Arnold impression. http://www.myspace.com/arnocorps

The seller is their live show. The first time I saw them the club owner threatened to stop the show twice unless they quit stage diving and jumping off of things (partially because they broke a ceiling fan when the lead singer kicked it...yes kicked the ceiling fan). The fire marshal showed up. And they basically spent more time in the crowd than on stage. It was insane.

i've heard about these guys before, but totally forgot to check them out. for some reason the myspace music player isn't loading properly for me at work so i'll be checking it out when i get home. stoked!

oh my god...i think this is my new favorite band.

some folks might know these guys...i think they used to pop up on punknews from time to time.

they're called the frenetics, from quebec. their primary songwriter/guitarist/singer malcolm bauld is getting ready to release his first solo album, but the band he was in for a few years put out a couple of nearly flawless records. kind of like grown-up pop punk mixed with a hint of '77 punk. really nice.

i got their first album as an interview/review dealy when i was working at the university newspaper here. i really liked it, and i made a point of talking with bauld before the show. really down to earth guy, which is always nice to see. i've made a point of picking up whatever i can of his since then.

you can still check out some tunes here: http://www.myspace.com/thefrenetics i recommend "the bitter years," possibly one of the best songs i've heard in the last five years. i also notice that malcolm bauld is playing some shows in QC with josh small, so that's neat.

some folks might know these guys...i think they used to pop up on punknews from time to time.

they're called the frenetics, from quebec. their primary songwriter/guitarist/singer malcolm bauld is getting ready to release his first solo album, but the band he was in for a few years put out a couple of nearly flawless records. kind of like grown-up pop punk mixed with a hint of '77 punk. really nice.

i got their first album as an interview/review dealy when i was working at the university newspaper here. i really liked it, and i made a point of talking with bauld before the show. really down to earth guy, which is always nice to see. i've made a point of picking up whatever i can of his since then.

you can still check out some tunes here: http://www.myspace.com/thefrenetics i recommend "the bitter years," possibly one of the best songs i've heard in the last five years. i also notice that malcolm bauld is playing some shows in QC with josh small, so that's neat.

This is the exact same band I was going to plug! Grey Veins To The Parking Lot is a brilliant record.

This is the exact same band I was going to plug! Grey Veins To The Parking Lot is a brilliant record.

really? i didn't know they made it into the states.

I don't know if they ever toured here, but my friend Adam over at Punknews passed them on to me with high recommendations back in '04.