.recommendations.

Hey, we all have semi obscure bands we absolutely adore that never quite got attention or fell off the radar years ago.

This isn't an invitation to talk about Brand New...dig deep.

post some recommendations...but tell a small story of where you heard them...what album to start with, etc...

my first pick:

Love Spit Love.

brand new covered a love spit love song. kinda funny...

anyway, i recommend The New Year. It's a post-Bedhead band that sounds very similarily awesome.

I checked them out because I think you're really funny. However, that wasn't very good. I can only hope you were trying to be funny by recommending them.

nope. not joking. They are a great experimental band for fans of Animal Collective, Man Man, Caribou and Sunset Rubdown. They are getting tons of hype on the east coast. I didnt really expect them to get much love from this board bacuase its honestly nothing like what the majority of people here listen to (i would say no offense, but people are going to whine and bitch about me saying that anyways, so i might as well mean it.)

Choke - Edmonton, Alberta CANADA

http://www.myspace.com/chokemusiconline

I'd check Record Stop or Recoil before listening to the newer stuff. I still need to find a copy of their most recent album here in America.

AWESOME! choke is hands down one of the top five bands ever from canada. i'm so sad that they're gone.

seriously you guys. this band is unstoppably awesome and i will send you copies of any of their records if you're interested in checking them out because that's how much i love them.

Calcutta Bazaar

http://www.myspace.com/calcuttabazaar

These guys used to be in a band called the Switch that were really good but their other guitarist/singer quit so they changed their name and wrote new music. They only lasted about a year and a half because the drummer got a sweet job and moved to San Francisco. The other two members were supposed to follow him up a couple months after the moved but the singer/bassist fell in love and stayed down in Southern California. It was truly a shame because this band was mind-blowingly good. They just had true chemistry together and wrote damn good music, like, really, really good music. The singer is now in Madison Bloodbath and if you're into them you'll probably dig Calcutta Bazaar (Madison Bloodbath was actually around before Calcutta Bazaar but they put that band on hold to focus on CB and then when they broke up they started MB up again with a couple new members). The drummer is now in the Action Design with the singer from Tsunami Bomb, but CB sounds nothing like those bands.

Anyways, if none of that interests you there is a live Jawbreaker cover (Do You Still Hate Me?) that is of pretty good quality and they do a good job with it, IMO.

So, here's the deal, if you listen to these songs and you enjoy what you hear, PM me and I will send you their 7" for FREE. I have an extra and I really loved these dudes and just want to spread their music. The 7" contains the two studio tracks on their Myspace page, but better quality. Seriously, just PM me saying you dig the tracks and give me your address and I'll send you the 7" and ask nothing in return. If somehow more than one person requests it it will go to the first person who asks. However, there are still a handful left and I can probably get them to you for $2 or $3 plus shipping.

Guest genericinsight

The Break

awesome poppy/punk band from New Jersey that I absolutely loved but they never really got their due. Had records out on both Doghouse and Ferret and toured/played shows with some big bands that they didn't really fit on the bill with (Glassjaw, Armor for Sleep and From Autumn To Ashes to name a few).

The Break

awesome poppy/punk band from New Jersey that I absolutely loved but they never really got their due. Had records out on both Doghouse and Ferret and toured/played shows with some big bands that they didn't really fit on the bill with (Glassjaw, Armor for Sleep and From Autumn To Ashes to name a few).

Ugh, I loathed this band.

Guest genericinsight
The Break

may i ask why?

if you're judging them solely on the release they put out on Ferret, that's a bad judgement to go on. Doghouse LP was far better. Otherwise I don't know what else to tell you except "to each their own".

may i ask why?

if you're judging them solely on the release they put out on Ferret, that's a bad judgement to go on. Doghouse LP was far better. Otherwise I don't know what else to tell you except "to each their own".

I was basing it on that awfully generic Doghouse record they put out -- Handbook For The Hopeless, I think it was called? Woof.

Guest genericinsight

may i ask why?

I was basing it on that awfully generic Doghouse record they put out -- Handbook For The Hopeless, I think it was called? Woof.

Handbook For the Hopeless was the Ferret release. Doghouse was self-titled.