Gatsbys American Dream first two albums

awesome another "label" putting things up for pre order that havent even been sent out for production yet. plus you dont even have enough money yet to finish off the release and yet you are still taking pre-orders. just a hunch but you probably bit off wayyyy more than you can chew with this "label," especially if you raised over $8,000 via kick starter and still don't have enough money to finish the release.

and how about this approach; let people donate straight to water if they felt so inclined instead of forcing people to spend more money. i thought i'd never see greed associated with a charity before, but here we are.

the man has a point. Even though I dont mind paying the extra couple bucks for this cause, everyone shouldn't have to. I also am not comfortable with preordering an album months before its been sent to the pressing plant from a "label" that has yet to release anything and openly says they don't have the money to finance this yet.

Mind you I am siked to have Gatsby on vinyl, just my viewpoint on the situation.

awesome another "label" putting things up for pre order that havent even been sent out for production yet. plus you dont even have enough money yet to finish off the release and yet you are still taking pre-orders. just a hunch but you probably bit off wayyyy more than you can chew with this "label," especially if you raised over $8,000 via kick starter and still don't have enough money to finish the release.

and how about this approach; let people donate straight to water if they felt so inclined instead of forcing people to spend more money. i thought i'd never see greed associated with a charity before, but here we are.

There have been delays in remastering that aren't related to a lack of funds, but because of the schedule of the engineer. I can't help that. The records will be on their to lacquer mastering next Tuesday (which will take less than a week), then off two the plant. I'd say they're a week and half away from the actual pressing if there are no delays from the plant.

I have enough to get everything pressed, which was the intention of my Kickstarter goal. These releases (multiple releases) are going to happen, no matter what. I got an extra job just so an entire paycheck could go to fund the jackets and booklets. That's extremely greedy of me.

You can go ahead and donate to Water.Org. I would fully support that. It's an extremely worthy cause. If you feel it's better than buying the record, please do. They need as much assistance as they can get.

I'm sorry if you feel that it is too expensive, but I hope that the final quality of the releases will show you that it is worthy of the money you are spending. The record is a donating incentive. This isn't greed. I'm not keeping any money here. This is a 100% volunteer organization. I'm just doing this because I'm passionate about the music and decided (as a record collector myself) that this would be a good way to help a charitable cause.

• 4 months later...

TWO THINGS:

This guy seems like an okay dude if you read more about him. Check his tumblr. He already ceded that he won't be releasing any more albums after these because it was too difficult. He's never being offensive or outlandish on anything he's done--though unorthodox it may be.

Also, Kickstarter pages are not merch stores. You're not paying $1500 for 10 records or whatever. You're DONATING $1500 and receiving some exclusive incentives instead.

K BYE!

Also, Kickstarter pages are not merch stores. You're not paying $1500 for 10 records or whatever. You're DONATING $1500 and receiving some exclusive incentives instead.

You're not 100% correct there. You are donating, but you are donating with a promise to receive a certain package/incentive for the amount you donate. So if he decided to say fuck all and took all the money from kickstarter and made everyone who "donated" preorder the record like a store, it'd be a breach of our so called donation contract.

This guy seems like an okay dude if you read more about him. Check his tumblr. He already ceded that he won't be releasing any more albums after these because it was too difficult. He's never being offensive or outlandish on anything he's done--though unorthodox it may be.

I think being an incompetent baby who feels that he's entitled to getting press and tons of preorders just for licensing some records no one cares about and opening a Kickstarter, and then asking for another couple thousand dollars, is pretty outlandish and offensive.

And that is why using Kickstarter as a zero-risk preorder is lazy on the label's side of things and dumb on the fans' side of things and I don't know why anyone would buy into it.

TWO THINGS:

K BYE!

SURPRISE! One mental midget is sticking up for another!

I think being an incompetent baby who feels that he's entitled to getting press and tons of preorders just for licensing some records no one cares about and opening a Kickstarter, and then asking for another couple thousand dollars, is pretty outlandish and offensive.

And that is why using Kickstarter as a zero-risk preorder is lazy on the label's side of things and dumb on the fans' side of things and I don't know why anyone would buy into it.

yeah. really good point. i mean, i still hold that it's "donation" oriented and should be viewed as such, but i didn't really think about the way he's doing it. normally bands include more intangible stuff like meet and greets or exclusive downloads or even signed stuff. but it shouldn't just be the final product that he's offering through incentives.

TWO THINGS:

K BYE!

SURPRISE! One mental midget is sticking up for another!

nah. not quite. just a dude with opinions. other dude made a good point though.

....if he isn't putting out another record, why did he offer 10 record subscriptions on his kickstarter page and take money for them...

I got tricked by that too.

If you read it closely you get 3 copies of each of the first three records plus a test of one of them.

I have enough to get everything pressed, which was the intention of my Kickstarter goal.

Eh?

If you go through the fine print, he only set the kickstarter for the cost of pressing the records. Licensing, remastering, plating, jackets, everything else was not included. Major mistake on his part. Had the kickstarter not pulled in $2k more than he asked for, he'd be in an even bigger hole. I guess he thought extra pledges and preorders would bring in enough cash to cover all the other costs.

....if he isn't putting out another record, why did he offer 10 record subscriptions on his kickstarter page and take money for them...

Because the music industry was going to support his dream and he would become a big-time record label. Duh.

• 1 month later...