building an expedit

jon

sounds like buying a bunch of the 2x4s and stacking them would be easier than buying one big one. you won't have to tear it all apart when you move, either.

The only one you could make out of 2x4s is a 4x4. But then you've got an extra thick middle layer, which raises the height of the overall unit. And they're not stable. And it's more expensive. And you can't make a 5x5 or the TV Storage Unit with 2x4s.

Honestly, if a 2x4 is easy enough to take on a move, a 4x4 isn't going to be much different.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 4x4 and recently went to upgrade. I was going to do a 5x5, but then I thought, that's a lot of weight on one shelf. Not to mention, it's the only expedit that is five high. I "upgraded" to three 2x4's instead. I figure that way, there's less weight on one unit, and I have a bit more freedom to move them about, or break them up slightly, and more importantly, and another eight cubes rather than buying another 5x5 down the road. I didn't stack them, though. I put them upright like bookcases, except one. I put that on it's side on this weird half wall we have. Then I put some framed pictures on it and it looks pretty cool. One of the other nice things you can do with a bunch of 2x4's rather than one 5x5.

As for putting them together, yeah that 5x5 could use an extra hand standing it up and getting it in place. Other than that, you should be set.

• 1 month later...

So after staring at 4 boxes of expedit in my livingroom for about a month I found out there's a dayworker place down the street that rents out hobos for $12 an hour. Turns out it only takes one hobo to put one of these things togetehr and he did a killer job in 90 minutes. I'm sure it would have taken me about a week and been all fucked up at the end, money well spent.

[image]

did you really pay a hobo to build your shit, or are you just pullin' my leg?

He looked like a hobo, no lie. He had two old bags of shit he was carrying around and a home-made walking stick. There's this cool center down the street from my new place that helps people coordinate day jobs and they have volunteers who help with things like english classes or whatever skills they can share. It's not like I picked up a random dude off a street corner with a hand-out sign (though not terribly far off I guess.)

did you really pay a hobo to build your shit, or are you just pullin' my leg?

I was coming in here to comment on how funny Jon's post was. I actually laughed out loud when I read it.

I guess it is kind of funny in retrospect but at the time I wasn't sure if he was some jeffrey dahmer who was going to eat my heart out at the expense of my new expedit

Sure, people work for money in my country, how do they earn it in yours? His requested rate was $12 per hour and I reckon he had to give a percentage of that to the center who brokered the work for him (and is volunteer run.) He finished quickly and did an excellent job, I gave him $60 and he seemed pretty stoked. The deal was that I would deliver him back to the center upon completion but on the way back he asked if I could drop him off at the nearby laundromat. The laundromat was suspiciously close to the liquor store but who am I to question how somebody spends the money they earned for building me a shelf for my thousands of dollars worth of bullshit.

Speaking of expedit. I'm probably moving soon. Are there any tips to taking apart a 4x4 to reassemble later?

I've done this twice with a TV unit. We had some movers try to move it down from a 3rd floor apartment and they scratched it up a little. When we got to the storage unit, I took it apart and then took it apart again when we moved again. I saved the instructions so it wasn't bad. The most recent time I put it together, I turned the outer frame around so the scratches don't show.

I have put together, then taken apart, moved and rebuilt a 5x5 Expedit more than once by myself.

This proves two things: 1.) I am done moving for a very long time 2.) That my friends aren't very helpful people.

I suggest having a second person around just to mist you with a spray bottle and provide you with anecdotes for entertainment. They might be handy for when you're ready to lift it upright against the wall as well.

I guess it is kind of funny in retrospect but at the time I wasn't sure if he was some jeffrey dahmer who was going to eat my heart out at the expense of my new expedit

Not likely. Jeffrey Dahmer killed mostly young Asians and blacks, and that was when he was between the ages of 18 and 31. Like a lot of serial killers, he was a white guy who maintained otherwise normal outward appearances. Serial killers are very rarely minorities or women, and usually have stable middle class backgrounds.

I am just amazed that someone can't throw one these together themselves. IKEA furniture is very simple.

I'm lazy and not very handy

i take back the dickish comment now that i know how well you payed him.

i really thought that he did this for next to nothing.

I'm glad I could put your mind at ease.

I have put together, then taken apart, moved and rebuilt a 5x5 Expedit more than once by myself.

Does it seem like it gets more flimsy each time? Like does it rock side to side easier after being disassembled so many times?

Not likely. Jeffrey Dahmer killed mostly young Asians and blacks, and that was when he was between the ages of 18 and 31. Like a lot of serial killers, he was a white guy who maintained otherwise normal outward appearances. Serial killers are very rarely minorities or women, and usually have stable middle class backgrounds.

You're making a lot of assumptions there. He was white (though he did tell me he was one of the only whites at the center) and what makes you so sure I'm not black or asian? In any event, I change my murderer choice to Richard Ramirez.

I wasn't making any assumptions, just going into a completely unnecessary explanation of how Jeffrey Dahmer fits in with the stereotypical serial killer image. For no other reason than I find it funny and kind of absurd to talk about in a thread about building an expedit.

The important part was that they are usually your stereotypical suburban white guy.