building an expedit

jon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be a fuck of a fuck of a lot easier with 2 people to build one that big. It's pretty straightforward, even if you aren't particularly handy with putting things together, but yeah. Invite a friend over. Have a pizza. Have Beverly Hills Cop playing on a TV in the background while you do it. I'm just saying. Everything is better with a friend.

I just built a 2x4 with my dad this past weekend and it was pretty simple until we had to screw in the last side and bottom boards. It got a bit frustrating and the holes stripped a bit, but patience helps. The shelves slide into place really easily, its just the larger boards that can give you trouble. A 5x5 will probably be the same story. May the force be with you.

I just built a 2x4 with my dad this past weekend and it was pretty simple until we had to screw in the last side and bottom boards. It got a bit frustrating and the holes stripped a bit, but patience helps. The shelves slide into place really easily, its just the larger boards that can give you trouble. A 5x5 will probably be the same story. May the force be with you.

Yah this is the kind of nonsense I was worried about. I have one of their desks that was a bitch to put together and I've kinda been dreading this thing Thanks for the tips tho, appreciate it!

Just built the 5x5 myself last week, you need enough space to build it flat and then some (I think the shelf it about 73 x 73, so make sure wherever you build it has about an extra foot or more of space on each side. When it's done the only thing you'll really need a second person for is lifting it because let me tell you it's not fun trying that solo. You're more than likely going to want to wall mount it because it is a BIG shelf and very heavy. It comes with everything you need to do it.

Get a drill with a hex bit, will go together much quicker than hand cranking with the allen wrench. Just make sure everything is square before going at it and that you set the clutch so you don't strip out the screws (in case you ever move and have to disassemble it, a 73x73" bookcase won't fit through a doorway easily). I can put together a 2x4 cube expedit in 15-20 minutes.

Get a drill with a hex bit, will go together much quicker than hand cranking with the allen wrench. Just make sure everything is square before going at it and that you set the clutch so you don't strip out the screws (in case you ever move and have to disassemble it, a 73x73" bookcase won't fit through a doorway easily). I can put together a 2x4 cube expedit in 15-20 minutes.

Expedit speed building - a cornerstone of the Hipster Olympics

If you can't do it on your own you're a moron.

And while that may be true, it's still easier, quicker, and, dare I say, even safer with two people.

This.

I'm a small built girl and even I can assemble Ikea furniture by myself. If you cant, then you're a retard. But it absolutley speeds up the process if you have help. And I second the use of a drill instead of the alan key. Much easier.

i've built tons of boxed furniture in my day. never anything from ikea, but still, tons.

any project that contains boards longer than your body, or anything that will result in a final project being taller than you, should be done with at least one other person, or you will fail and ruin your furniture.

that is all.

hmm, maybe I did too many legos when I was a kid or something, but the other day I just put together two 2x2 expedits. I took my time, I was chatting, watching TV, drinking beer.

Took me about 5 min each.

The trick to ANYTHING prefabricated with screws is to NEVER tighten ANY of the screws until it is completely put together. With all of the little errors in the manufacturing process, it's never going to fit together exactly right, so if you leave everything loose you have that little extra give that you need to make sure everything lines up.

And do yourself a favour, with a 5x5 you'll cut your time and frustration in half if you have a second person.

I did a 5x5 myself. No biggee.

The only thing I always tell people with Ikea stuff is look at the instructions very carfefully. There are usually only pictures and you have to pay attention to make sure you are using the right pieces and parts in the right place. Often pieces look identical but are different from one side to the other, or one end to the other. And if you don't pay attention, you won't realize you have used the wrong piece in the wrong place until near the end.

I did a 5x5 myself. No biggee.

The only thing I always tell people with Ikea stuff is look at the instructions very carfefully. There are usually only pictures and you have to pay attention to make sure you are using the right pieces and parts in the right place. Often pieces look identical but are different from one side to the other, or one end to the other. And if you don't pay attention, you won't realize you have used the wrong piece in the wrong place until near the end.

THIS.

My 5 min didn't include my first one that I did twice for just this reason.

Expedit speed building - a cornerstone of the Hipster Olympics

I work for IKEA, so I have some experience building that stuff.