Face to Face Laugh Now... Laugh Later

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, That'd be great. I didn't really look into how this works though. So, people say they'll pay money for this to be pressed? Or do you actually pay this pledge immediately? Then! Say they don't raise enough, do you get said money back? I know I saw one of these things for some Alkaline Trio Tribute thing that a friend of mine's band recorded a song for (My Friend Peter, btw). Just seems odd, and really expensive.

Yeah anyone who pledged knows if you are immediately paying or waiting for the goal for payment to be taken? Don't wanna pledge $100 for nothing if they don't meet their goal and I'm $100 down. Otherwise I'm down for the ridicously expensive package just to ensure I get a test press and white.

Pretty sure you won't get charged until the goal is met - otherwise what you're saying is, if it reached $9,990 they'd walk away with all the cash and there's not a damn thing we could do about it - that'd just be wrong.

I pledged the 100 bucks, my concern is the postage alone is probably going to be that much to the UK so how do they navigate that?

Pretty sure you won't get charged until the goal is met - otherwise what you're saying is, if it reached $9,990 they'd walk away with all the cash and there's not a damn thing we could do about it - that'd just be wrong.

Yeah, FTF obviously never heard of:

http://www.indiegogo.com/

Where does the money go if the funding goal isn't reached?

Campaign owners will outline their funding plan on their campaign profile. If you are unclear how funds will be used, you can contact the campaign administrator directly by sending a private comment on their campaign page, on the Comments tab.

Virgil would be stoked.

Kickstarter is a nice idea, but I feel that it's becoming a crutch for those assholes who want to do something and don't want to risk any of their money on it's success. It really can't be that hard to save the money to start a label and press a record. You need what, like $2000 initial capital.

i figured a band like face to face would have no problem getting a label to press an album for em, or am I missing something here

These numbers are just approximations:

Pressing 500 records runs about $2000.

1000 CDs are about $1000.

Add another $1000-$1500 for the additional "art" and bonuses, shipping, etc.

$10+k raised minus $4.5k for product = easiest $5500 you can make as a musician in this day and age.

Did they record the album themselves? This band could have spent $5,000 a day in the studio, I don't think $10,000 is a lot of money to recoup for one album, think of the budgets they had to work with on their major label or Vagrant Records...

I think he's a little "disconnected" from reality. Then again, it looks like there's a good chance this will be funded.

Just reached their goal. I wish they didn't do it like this, but I didn't want to be assed out. Couldn't say no people

...and not only did they fund it...but they sold out of the $100 option. Theres only a few $75 options left.

It says Trevor Keith has his own label. Yet he needs money to press his own records. Okay.

I sure hope Disconnected made it onto this album too.

this is no different than what most other labels do, they're just being open with the amount of money they're raising. This is really not a lot of money comparatively, I'm not sure why everyone's freaking out so much.

No, most other record labels take a risk when they put out a record. They may make different variants in other to help sales but ultimately if no one ends up buying the record they eat the losses. In this case, Trevor Keith is putting the responsibility of putting out the vinyl on his fans and in addition to that trying to rip them off by churning out as many "test presses" and "signed set lists" as he can since those won't cost him much of anything.

up to 13,319...looks like a fat paycheck for face to face for doing nothing...awesome.

they wrote and recorded an album, that's a bit more than nothing.

Pretty sure that only a couple of hundred people donated to get that sum, and they will be pressing way more than just a few hundred copies of vinyl. With the remainder, CD's, and digital distro, they will rake.

If they would have just said, ' hey who wants vinyl? if you do, fork over $20 and if we get 2 grand we will press it.' nobody would have a problem and it would have sold out in 2 days.

But they took it a bit too far.