Pre - ordering MP3's?

vinylme

Itunes sucks , i bought the mighty boosh radio series a couple of years ago for my ipod and when i decided to sync it and it deleted everything on the ipod i realized i had not saved the origianal files to my external hard drive that i downloaded from itunes because i got a new lap top and sold the old one.and you cant re-download the files, how retarded.

my xbox broke and i bought a new one , i could download all my oblivion extensions !

the reality of the situation is that non-physical media will become the standard, because it already fucking has. people use ipods, the industry is adjusting. there is absolutely nothing different about pre-ordering a digital copy of a record than there is pre-ordering a physical copy of it. the record has a release date, you will have the record by that release date. that's the idea, for the supplier to get the product to the consumer as quickly as possible.

but it doesn't matter, because someone will post it for free somewhere.

if i came into your house and took the equivalent of the artists royalty for the amount of times people steal any given independent record, let alone a major record, in the first day or two that it's posted on-line, you'd be sad as fuck, living in an empty house, and i'd be selling your girlfriend on the corner for you to be able to pay up.

music is a business, all of this free loving liberal punk art shit that we in one way or another relate to, it's a business, people pay for music, people pay for the convenience. why would you buy a cd if you have an ipod and a special docking system in your car for it? people dont want cds, they want music for their ipods. if it's coming out of the speakers, and you're supporting a band you like, who cares if the media is physical or not, you pay for a live performance, that's non-physical media. if you're getting yours and they're getting theirs, who gives a shit?

im not trying to be a dick, i know im coming off like one, ive been up all night, i'm crazy irritable and i don't understand how everyone is so confused.

I personally have never bought an MP3. I think it is a shitty way to get music. Just go out and buy it or get it at the library. The library here in Seattle you can rent next to any cd, and it was bought at one time or another, perhaps not by the library, but by someone who donated it to them.

if it's coming out of the speakers, and you're supporting a band you like, who cares if the media is physical or not, you pay for a live performance, that's non-physical media. if you're getting yours and they're getting theirs, who gives a shit?

im not trying to be a dick, i know im coming off like one, ive been up all night, i'm crazy irritable and i don't understand how everyone is so confused.

QFT. I don't think you're a dick.

Record lables are making a hell of alot more money doing this (for the people who are actually buying mp3s..not stealing them)....NO packing, NO lyric booklet..Not even the cost of a CD....no expenses except recording cost...seems pretty smart to me for the labels and artist wanting to make the most $$$ possible

My opinion is obvious since i am a record collector....still blows my mind though...but i can see why labels would market towards customers buying MP3s

Guest baseball
buying mp3s is retarded to begin with.

Except for Emusic. Emusic is great, it's $15/month for 50 tracks (3-5 albums) DRM-free. There's other packages too.

Plus you've got access to a huge catalog of popular to obscure stuff with speedy direct downloads. Totally worth the money.

I guess I'm in the minority, but there's plenty of music I just want to listen to sans a physical copy. There's also plenty *more* music I do want a physical copy of.

When you listen to music 8-10 hours a day at work/home, it just makes sense to have a digital library as well as a physical one.