various news outlets are reporting that Apple is

now the #2 music retailer in the country.

does anyone else want to just slap their forehead on behalf of the supposed billions of people who are paying for mp3s? for the price of an album of mp3s, 90% of the time you can purchase the actual album at relatively the same cost you pay at Itunes, and you'll also get something neat to, you know, hold in your hands.

one of those awesome dudez who just wants the radio singles from your favorite cutting edge artists? what the fuck ever happened to good old fashioned illegal file sharing? WAKE THE FUCK UP AMERICA!1!1!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

virtually all new releases at best buy are priced at around 12 or 13 bucks, major label and all. yeah, you can still pay $19 for a cd at FYE (how is this place still in business?), but it's really not hard to find reasonably priced cds nowadays.

mp3s really are soulless little bits of shittiness. if this is the future of music, music can go fuck itself.

I decided to stop buying CDs altogether. I've accumulated thousands of them over the years, and I move every couple years, so I got sick to death of moving them around when I never listen to them. I put them on my ipod and external hard drive and that's it. Artwork and booklets are nice and all that, but way too fucking cumbersome, especially in a small apartment. I have my vinyl for looking at pretty pictures and listening to high quality music. Besides that, the album covers look nice on my ipod touch anyway. I have vowed to never buy a CD again. They're redundant. Vinyl/MP3 combinations are all I need.

Guest falloutcollapse
Unless you have a mondo stereo or some pretty damn good ears I heavily doubt you notice the difference between CD and mp3.

I can normally tell if something has been ripped off of a CD or if it's a better quality MP3. It just sounds so much clearer and better.

This whole thing just shocks me. I think you have to realize there are two types of people who consume music. The type like most of the people around here who want to hear the 5th guitar during the bridge on the left speaker and those who don't know what a bridge is. That second type, they buy single songs off iTunes and are happy doing so. Its a waste for them to go out and get 180g vinyl and listen to it. They get nothing out of it.

CDs are going away, encoding will get better, and it'll basically come down to vinyl for those who want something tangible and iTunes-like stuff for those who don't care.

I can make MP3s that sounds just as good, if not better than a CD, you just have to know what you're doing and how to encode it. I've bought a ton off iTunes because you can't play a damn LP in a car. Now I buy WAY less but I still use eMusic to find music I've been referred to listen to, then I can buy the LP or a better version if I want to.

it just makes more sense between buying a cd or a digital download to buy the cd. you get the artwork and youll always have a physical back up of the album should you ever need it. i dont really buy the "well, then you have to go to the store to get it" excuse because the same demographic of people who are downloading music on itunes are the ones going up to the best buys, etc. to buy their video games, dvds, and electronics.

i have an ipod and not a single track (out of the 12,000 or so) were downloaded from itunes. you have to be a serious idiot to spend money on something that is not even a tangible product.

I don't want to counter one flammatory statement with another, but I think that is a really narrow-minded statement. Consider this:

1. I want to listen to music but I don't have the storage space or the need to own CDs when I have an ipod and a hard drive.

2. I want to listen to music without violating any copyright laws or robbing musicians of their royalties.

What are my options? I can legally purchase MP3s from itunes or another online music retailer. I can also buy the vinyl (if available) but that won't help me on the bus. But I guess I am an idiot because I don't want to have boxes and boxes of CDs collecting dust?*

What about paying money for other online services? Perhaps subscribing to print or photo media on the internet? Or paying to join some sort of online-based community or game? Does that make me an idiot too?

(* I actually do have boxes of hundreds of CDs I am willing to sell off for cheap or give away to a good home because CDs have no value to me anymore)

i have an ipod and not a single track (out of the 12,000 or so) were downloaded from itunes. you have to be a serious idiot to spend money on something that is not even a tangible product.

I don't want to counter one flammatory statement with another, but I think that is a really narrow-minded statement. Consider this:

1. I want to listen to music but I don't have the storage space or the need to own CDs when I have an ipod and a hard drive.

2. I want to listen to music without violating any copyright laws or robbing musicians of their royalties.

What are my options? I can legally purchase MP3s from itunes or another online music retailer. I can also buy the vinyl (if available) but that won't help me on the bus. But I guess I am an idiot because I don't want to have boxes and boxes of CDs collecting dust?*

What about paying money for other online services? Perhaps subscribing to print or photo media on the internet? Or paying to join some sort of online-based community or game? Does that make me an idiot too?

(* I actually do have boxes of hundreds of CDs I am willing to sell off for cheap or give away to a good home because CDs have no value to me anymore)

lol@musicians receiving royalties

i have a few songs from itunes. most were free from that ticketmaster facebook thing, and also from buying tickets from ticketmaster. some older ones i got from old pepsi botles that had download codes in the cap. i have the exclusive larry arms track, some foos music videos, a whole bunch of episodes of it's always sunny in philadelphia (season 3 isn't on dvd, couldn't find anywhere online to stream it), and shooks' slaughter 7". the only ones i paid for were the foo fighters videos, the sunny episodes, and lucero's cover of kiss the bottle. i'm on the campus network and i'm a pussy about using limewire or whatever and getting my internet taken away, so i just bought it. i dont mind. i have the repressed 7" of it.

that being said, i'll go for cd if it exists. i'll buy it at a show, or through mailorder. like that asian man comp says, mailorder is fun.

This is why the brand new Elder 10" comes with a free fan disc CD! Extra-expensive!

Personally, I've never purchased an MP3. The way I figure it, I've spent enough money putting out records in my lifetime that I have thousands upon thousands of free MP3s coming my way. That being said, I'll only purchase CDs when I have no other option. Other than that I just get the vinyl and get someone else to send me the MP3s or find them online somewhere.

I think the record+CD or record+download is the best possible way to do things. You get OOP skramz and MP3s! Then you can sell the record for $$$$ when it shoots up in value and still listen to the tracks whenever you want! LEGAL. Used CDs are practically worthless. I've been going through and getting rid of mine one chunk at a time. Obviously I'll keep all of the ones that are important to me(friends bands, etc.) and all of my favorite bands, but I've been going through and cutting em down every few months. It's fun!

I don't know why you MP3 haters buy music, but I buy music to listen to it. If you get iTunes Plus or Amazon MP3, the quality is (to me) indistinguishable from CD, and is better quality than the default settings iTunes uses for importing CDs in the first place, and I'd bet 99% of iTunes users keep the default settings. Recent CDs I've bought have been pretty disappointing in the liner notes department, and once I read through them once, they go on my shelf, where they'll likely never be looked at again. This is why I got into vinyl in the first place - you get an actually attractive product with some good looking artwork. With a CD, you get a little booklet with the lyrics and a plastic disc that just has digital music files on it anyway, so why bother with the middleman? So, I buy vinyl of what's available and MP3s of what's not.

Now, DRMed music on the other hand, THAT'S a retarded purchase.