Anyone ever lived on a couch for a while?

So my brother who is also my room mate lost his job and is deciding to move back with my parents. I want to stay here cause all that I know is here. My buddy said I can crash on his couch for as long as I need. I'm just kinda intimidated because I hate asking for help and I feel like I'm just gonna be a freeloader or something.

Anyway my point to this thread is... Any of you guys crashed on a couch and gotten back on their feet?

I had a buddy live on my couch for like 5-6 months and i wanted him to die a painful death by the end.

he never paid for anything, chipped in for water/utility, or even cleaned up after himself... So if you do crash on someones couch try to toss them some cash/food/beers... and clean up after yourself and you should be fine.

Even your best friends will probably get sick of you after a while. shit gets old pretty quick especially in smaller apartments/places.

one of the most important things: go in with a clear idea of when your friend wants you out. don't take "as long as you need, man," as an answer. best way to make this work is to have a fairly clear game plan, and to be out on or before the agreed upon time. it's one of those "high fences make good neighbors" deals, i think. pitching in is good, too. i used to love when my friends would crash at my place and make breakfast or clean up after a night of partying. you seem like a gentleman, you'll be fine!

Thanks guys! I definitely don't want to wear out my welcome. I'd hate for our relationship to become shitty cause I overstayed my welcome. I'm only planning on staying with him a month or two so that I can find a new apartment/room mate. It'll suck not having my own room, but at least we wont bother each other with our music! Nothing worse than when someone hates your music taste that you're living with.

going with what amber said..

around this time last year (before i moved in) a guy was living at my place, and he literally spent all his time on the couch.. eating, sleeping, watching tv. needless to say, it didnt last very long.

For sure I have a girl friend so I'd be spending a lot of my time with her. I ride my bike a lot and stuff like that. I don't wanna say I'd pretty much just be sleeping there cause that'd be kinda rude, I know the dudes will need their space. When I lived with my parents still I had 2 buddies sleeping on my floor haha. It was cool cause we were in a band together and practiced there, but still seeing them everyday all day started to get old.

This is actually how I ended up with my roommates in FL before I moved back home with my parents to save for a new car. I met them through a friend and ended up just crashing on their couch for about a month (more out of "shit we should hang out all the time" than "shit I need a place"), then ended up getting an air mattress, moving in and splitting a room with one of them. Definitely gotta stress the give them space/get out often factor because it doesn't just get old to them, it'll eventually get old to you. These are still some of my best friends but being so close all the time definitely made us rage at each other at times. As everyone else said, just be cool about keeping things clean and pulling whatever weight you can (which obviously you're down for) and things should be fine.

I've lived off a couple couches in my time, more for the fun though. It was more so flipping between the girls I was sleeping with, fun times of parties, pizza, and pussy.

On a serious note, my buddies have traveled the world squatting and they are back in town recently with their own apartments and full time jobs as a chef and promoters for venues. Train hopping is fun as fuck and the people you meet squatting is awesome! I enjoy doing it for mini-vacation when I don't feel like going home for breaks.

Guest afsdan

I've had a couple extended periods of living on couches. My best advice: don't stay at one place more than two or three nights in a row. Find a handful of friends with whom you can rotate nights on the sofa. Stay outside and busy during the day. Buy the beer at night. Your friends will treat your stay as more of a party than a burden.

i did the "couch surfing" thing for awhile, and even the squatter mcpunk rock thing, both culminating to about 8 months of "homelessness" total. the only thing that got me back on my feet was finally getting a girlfriend that wanted to live with me and make babies and stuff.

now i'm all adult and shit.

i did the "couch surfing" thing for awhile, and even the squatter mcpunk rock thing, both culminating to about 8 months of "homelessness" total. the only thing that got me back on my feet was finally getting a girlfriend that wanted to live with me and make babies and stuff.

now i'm all adult and shit.

squatter mcpunk rock lul

Yeah definitely. I'm trying to get into some kind of job at a restaurant. I feel like it's a good thing to have experience in because there's restaurants everywhere. The main reason I'm gonna be crashing on his couch is cause I'm waiting for my friend to get all his ducks in a row to move out of his parents house.

Basically i'm just in limbo/ playing a waiting game.