What do u do about damaged records during shipping

Ok guys, a couple weeks ago i mailed out a handfull of records to Austria. this was a deal through a messageboard and not ebay or LP.

I just got a message stating that he finally got the records, but all were unplayable. He didnt go into detail about the condition, so i emailed him back and still am waiting for info.

has this happened to you when sending records out? if so what is the typical action?

I once traded with someone on VC and received a broken record. I got my shipping cost refunded but that was it. Is that common, or do you feel like you deserve a full refund even though it was the post office's fault.

Obviously this was shipped in a mailer and packaged like you would expect, so i have mixed feelings on what i should do. Right now i am not in the position of refunding money because i just dont have it, so what would you do in this type of situation?

I am not going to really worry about this too much until i get pics, or details on what happened and why they are not playable.

Just figured i would get some input from you guys.

thanks in advance.

pics or gtfo

I always package the records I sell personally REALLY well, so I know it's not my fault. I always sell records at cost or barely over too so I'm not going to take a hit on records when I know they left in good condition.

when I order from labels though, if I get scratched records I always ask for a clean copy. if the packaging suffers, I might ask if they have extras and offer to pay for replacements. I just want a playable and non-defective record, it's not too much to ask for! I've been having terrible luck with scratched, "dented" or warped records this year too so it's getting frustrating.

I recently found myself in the same situation: the buyer said the LP was unplayable and asked for a discount. I found it odd that he only asked for a discount and not a full refund (which I would have provided if the records really were unplayable, because what is the point of having a record you can't listen to?) but I gave him $10 back and everyone was happy. I never asked for pics because he wound up paying $25 for a record he could have bought for $10 anyway (I started the bidding at 1.99 figuring it'd maybe get up to $5 when the bidding ended, not $25) so I wasn't really too bummed about the refund.

Yeah, i try to box my items with extra cardboard, LP sleeves, or bubble wrap but its not always available when you are boxing items up but since this was going overseas i always make sure to box things well.

I have been slimming down my collection over the last 2-3 years and have sold several hundred records and have never run into this before... and now that i think of it, i have not had any issues selling records since i joined record/vinyl message boards back in 2007

pics or gtfo

I always package the records I sell personally REALLY well, so I know it's not my fault. I always sell records at cost or barely over too so I'm not going to take a hit on records when I know they left in good condition.

same here it's kind of a pain in the ass cutting all those extra pieces of cardboard to size. but in the end i'd rather make a little bit more than minimal effort, have the buyer pleased and just avoid the overall situation if i can. I can't tell you how many times i've bought a record for $60-$100 and the person couldn't even bother to put some damn cardboard in there let alone just one piece.

did you put a value on the package when you shipped it? you may be able to get some help recovering the value from the shipping company (assuming USPS) if so.

I've always wondered....would warped records fall under "damaged"....wouldn't that technically be out of their hands? Anyone ever try to claim before?

If not, tell him to snap 'em in half....if it was insured of coarse.