Stupid Prices people pay on Ebay thread

mrc

ok, so im sure everyone has watched a record go for so much more than its worth, and i figured that everyone would have at least one to add, so here it goes:

This is for

NO USE FOR A NAME - MORE BETTERNESS LP on Blue Vinyl

I have seen these go for anywhere between 30-60.00 but this takes the cake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140154536176&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

$112.50

Guest scriptedrain

That's not even as dumb as I thought it'd be. I've seen some ridiculous prices. Someone paid like $50 for "This Room's Too Cold" and you can still buy it for $8 at the label's store. They paid 6-7 times its worth.

- Jeff

As the saying goes, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Now if it's readily available somewhere else at a cheaper price, then I agree that it's stupid for someone not to be doing their homework.

No Doubt is a good example. When I came across that listing, I was stunned that there was a blue vinyl copy because I was pretty damn positive it wasn't on color vinyl when it was first released. So I started Googling and quickly found that it'd been re-pressed.

As the saying goes, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Now if it's readily available somewhere else at a cheaper price, then I agree that it's stupid for someone not to be doing their homework.

No Doubt is a good example. When I came across that listing, I was stunned that there was a blue vinyl copy because I was pretty damn positive it wasn't on color vinyl when it was first released. So I started Googling and quickly found that it'd been re-pressed.

You are correct. However, eBay is a bad example as people are willing to pay more than an item is worth because they get caught up in winning. That's why certain albums will have one auction where an item goes for $100 and another auction where the same item goes for $35.

Like it's bene mentioned...some people don't do their homework and think that eBay is the only place to get that item they have been looking for. I have been guilty of that myself in the past...I'll start watching an item and them end up finding it somewhere else via a trade or store...

Guest falloutcollapse
That's not even as dumb as I thought it'd be. I've seen some ridiculous prices. Someone paid like $50 for "This Room's Too Cold" and you can still buy it for $8 at the label's store. They paid 6-7 times its worth.

- Jeff

i'm almost 100% sure that was our fellow board member, elephant haha

fraziermart seems to be a memeber i always see with outrageous buy it now prices. i dont see selling on ebay for some profit a bad thing at all. but redic buy it now prices or high start bids annoy the crap out of me. i prefer the see what its actually worth by starting the bids low. anothre one thats kind of annoying is that person with the high buy it nows for the brand new 7"s

anothre one thats kind of annoying is that person with the high buy it nows for the brand new 7"s

That has been aggravating me because I am looking to build up my Brand New collection...(which by the way it's on its way thanks to a fellow boarder)...but this eBay's dudes BIN prices are outrageous! >:(

fraziermarket is a rip off for sure. but to his/her/their credit, theyre getting these records on ebay elsewhere from idiots who dont know how to list stuff very well and then flipping them for a pretty hefty markup. youll also note, a LOT of their records are on black which while rare, also means theyre looking to keep their overhead down whilst burning holes in your wallet for a record you could get on color for about the same price--all at the sake avoiding having to bid.

with all that said, record value is, for the most part, cyclic and fickle.

yeah any time in november/early december you overpay and well who knows if youll actualy get stuff on time. however it is cool finding very unique gifts on there. i usually use it about a month in advance for birthday gifts and such. however obviously during christmas time its a perfect time to sell almost like christmas! hahaha

- Jeff

i'm almost 100% sure that was our fellow board member, elephant haha

:/

i got my red copy of todays empires tomorrows ashes by propagandhi for $93 on ebay. Not bad considering the copy previous to it (by about a week) sold for $387 or something super ridiculous.

fat wreck vinyl sells for a ton, pretty much regardless of the band, as long as its colored and out of print.