Newbie at vinyl. What is a receiver!?

Hey guys. I am completely new here and at collecting vinyl. I have a pretty fast growing collection, and the record player we had seem to finally stop working.

Well, my boss basically gave me a turntable and 13 vintage records for really cheap. Me not knowing what I'm doing, I apparently need a receiver. It can't find one for the player I have. (It's Ion brand, by the way.) What I am asking is, what do I look for when trying to buy one? Everything I come across on the internet is like, over $100. Is there anything to help that is not so pricey!?

thanks.

Also, I don't know if there is a sticky for this or not, I didn't see one. If there is, just tell me & I'll ask there.

A receiver is like a hub to plug audio equipment into. Mine has a built in radio tuner, and a bunch of RCA inputs for a tape deck, cd player, turntable, and vcr (which I use for my computer), and it is also where the speakers are connected. You can probably get one at goodwill for between 10 and 20 bucks.

The term receiver originally refers to a component which includes a tuner, a pre-amplifier and a power amplifier. These are generally called stereo receivers. The built-in tuner in these devices give them the name receivers.

Since your ION turntable doesn't have any internal speakers, you need something to be the middle man between the turntable and the speakers you have. That's why you need the receiver. If your sound output is still quiet, you'll need a pre-amp as well.

As far as cheap receivers, your best bet will be thrift stores, pawn shops, yard sales etc. Buying something new will probably cost you a bit more. Then again, as with anything else, you get what you pay for.

[image]

"No..."

"Which is everybody."

"Yes..."

But seriously, I second the Craigslist suggestion - I've picked up a number of different receivers over the years off of there and never paid more than $30 or so. Great set ups too. Folks don't know (or most likely care) what they're letting go of most of the time.

Craigslist is hit or miss. Where are you located and what are you looking to spend?

Craigslist is great and so is ebay (just remember with ebay your gonna pay more than what its worth usually since you have to factor in shipping).

Picked up my Pioneer SX-980 for $75 on craigslist. I just had my Marantz 2216B crap out on me due to my friends kid spilling Kool-aid on it >.>. I paid $2.00 for it an an estate sale.

Also one last thing, I know your collection is growing, but don't ruin it by running it on a crappy table with a shitty cartridge/needle. Save some of that record money and put it towards a nice table. You'll be pleased with it and in the end would (should) achieve a greater sound.