PO: 311- Grassroots(On Vinyl for the 1st Time)

Maybe Mr. Enjoy the Ride will get Stapp-ed.

That was the only good thing 311 has done in their career.

I back this.

Worst "label" going. Seriously, who doesn't clear pressing something with the band? Even if the masters are legally owned by the CD-issuing label, karmic ethics and decency dictate that you at least get the thumbs up from the people who made the music. After all, they might think your label sucks and not want to be affiliated with it and end up causing you serious embarrassment. Oh wait, that's what's happening right now!!

Actually, you know what? PLEASE keep trying to put out records by contacting and licensing from major labels and "jumping through hoops." It provides endless hilarity amongst other people who run legitimate labels and fans alike.

Also, here's a wish list for future releases. Please jump through whatever hoops it takes to get me:

• Crash Test Dummies

• Right Said Fred

• Candlebox

• Collective Soul

• That band that does that "Sex and Candy" song

• No Doubt live 5xLP

These are great bands to "work with" and will be really awesome to you on Twitter.

A marcy playground repress(sex and candy band) is in the works. Thanks for ruining my surprise

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. You would have thought this dude would have learned his lesson after going behind the Rx Bandits backs with his first licencing endeavor. Unbelievable that he would continue doing the same thing with even bigger bands.

by going behind rx bandits back , do you mean emailing them management & guitarist 2 months before the order was even placed asking them to get involved? I have contacted or attempted to contact literally every single band that ive attempted to re-press. RXB decided They would ignore my 5 attempts to contact them/get them involved as ive stated on this forum many times. If they told me not to press it and that they had an issue then I would not have made it but instead they ignored the situation completely (by they, i mean management/steve cause he wasnt on the recording and didnt care which i didnt know until after cause he was in the band every time i saw them live during progress era). They only gave me an issue once pre order was announced and they realized this was definitely going to happen. Their manager told me she has gotten a dozen requests from fans to press "progress" over the last decade but no one was able to get in touch with richard so she expected this to fall apart as usual. 3/4 of the drive thru bands are 100% with me doing this, they just all hate richard for various reasons. In the rx bandits statement from last year, they did not mention my name or label name once. The statement was intended for richard for going behind their back(which was also behind my back as i was under the impression he was getting consent from all the bands)

As for 311, I emailed management months ago(ive been working on this for almost a year, as dealing with major corporations takes forever). Management never responded and I was told that sony was going to get in touch with them. When it comes to a band like that, its clearly not easy to get in touch with the actual members as they each get a ton of tweets and emails from fans. In the email to management i asked them to please run it by the band and let me know if there is a problem with the plan/asking if they were interested in a tour edition.

As for Nfg, I did exactly what people on here have been asking. I contacted them within hours of getting any sort of approval(which is still probably at least 6 months away from actually going into production) Why would i bother the band regarding something that 75% of the time i get turned down for. Not to mention that this would be my first time working with universal and had no idea their policies until this week. Just as rxb was pissed at richard for licensing it without their permission(which wasnt known by me at the time), chad is pissed at universal for ignoring his friends label request and then preliminarily approving me. Which i totally understand why he would be pissed. I would be also if i got my friend in touch with the label in order to do this and then it just died all of sudden and out of nowhere i stepped in but there was no way for me to know any of the details until talking to him. All of that being said, I am in the middle of an email convo with chad trying to work something out and if we cant then im happy to let his friends label press it. So now that all these assumptions are clarified for the 10th time this year, what did i do wrong again?

So if a passed out chick doesn't respond it is okay to fuck her?

by going behind rx bandits back , do you mean emailing them management & guitarist 2 months before the order was even placed asking them to get involved? I have contacted or attempted to contact literally every single band that ive attempted to re-press. RXB decided They would ignore my 5 attempts to contact them/get them involved as ive stated on this forum many times. If they told me not to press it and that they had an issue then I would not have made it but instead they ignored the situation completely (by they, i mean management/steve cause he wasnt on the recording and didnt care which i didnt know until after cause he was in the band every time i saw them live during progress era). They only gave me an issue once pre order was announced and they realized this was definitely going to happen. Their manager told me she has gotten a dozen requests from fans to press "progress" over the last decade but no one was able to get in touch with richard so she expected this to fall apart as usual. 3/4 of the drive thru bands are 100% with me doing this, they just all hate richard for various reasons. In the rx bandits statement from last year, they did not mention my name or label name once. The statement was intended for richard for going behind their back(which was also behind my back as i was under the impression he was getting consent from all the bands)

As for 311, I emailed management months ago(ive been working on this for almost a year, as dealing with major corporations takes forever). Management never responded and I was told that sony was going to get in touch with them. When it comes to a band like that, its clearly not easy to get in touch with the actual members as they each get a ton of tweets and emails from fans. In the email to management i asked them to please run it by the band and let me know if there is a problem with the plan/asking if they were interested in a tour edition.

As for Nfg, I did exactly what people on here have been asking. I contacted them within hours of getting any sort of approval(which is still probably at least 6 months away from actually going into production) Why would i bother the band regarding something that 75% of the time i get turned down for. Not to mention that this would be my first time working with universal and had no idea their policies until this week. Just as rxb was pissed at richard for licensing it without their permission(which wasnt known by me at the time), chad is pissed at universal for ignoring his friends label request and then preliminarily approving me. Which i totally understand why he would be pissed. I would be also if i got my friend in touch with the label in order to do this and then it just died all of sudden and out of nowhere i stepped in but there was no way for me to know any of the details until talking to him. All of that being said, I am in the middle of an email convo with chad trying to work something out and if we cant then im happy to let his friends label press it. So now that all these assumptions are clarified for the 10th time this year, what did i do wrong again?

So if a passed out chick doesn't respond it is okay to fuck her?

And then within hours of her waking up tell her you fucked her.

I think part of the lesson here is that communicating via Twitter's public function or another public venue isn't a great practice. Imagine if this was handled via a private message? You might have worked all this out before opening yourself up to a shit storm.

[image]

I think part of the lesson here is that communicating via Twitter's public function or another public venue isn't a great practice. Imagine if this was handled via a private message? You might have worked all this out before opening yourself up to a shit storm.

yea, no shit. Unfortunately, chad did not have any public contact info. I checked his blog, band website etc.... I emailed management and after not getting a response I tweeted at him to let him know and to please have management forward the email to him/respond to me regarding the matter. I only tweeted at him and "made it public" because of the past issue with rx bandits management ignoring my emails and then once pre order was announcing, creating a public issue. I was trying to avoid that which ultimately clearly did not happen. I would much rather be informed of a problem on their end now, rather than 6 months later when it is already in the process of being pressed.

yea, no shit. Unfortunately, chad did not have any public contact info. I checked his blog, band website etc.... I emailed management and after not getting a response I tweeted at him to let him know and to please have management forward the email to him/respond to me regarding the matter. I only tweeted at him and "made it public" because of the past issue with rx bandits management ignoring my emails and then once pre order was announcing, creating a public issue. I was trying to avoid that which ultimately clearly did not happen. I would much rather be informed of a problem on their end now, rather than 6 months later when it is already in the process of being pressed.

Why not put out music by people you are already friends with?

Imagine if this was handled via a private message?

Except that Twitter doesn't allow you to PM people that aren't already following you. When you don't have an email address or phone number, but do have someone's twitter handle, an @reply is about the easiest way to get in touch with them.

Imagine if this was handled via a private message?

Except that Twitter doesn't allow you to PM people that aren't already following you. When you don't have an email address or phone number, but do have someone's twitter handle, an @reply is about the easiest way to get in touch with them.

Thanks - I'm a bit new to Twitter and didn't realize that without a reciprocated following you couldn't send the message privately.

And as someone that has two entertainment related businesses that require frequent permissions: I'd never resort to the public Facebook or Twitter functions for any business dealings. (I also don't think this is such a big deal since Ross says he won't release it without permission from the band)

Thanks - I'm a bit new to Twitter and didn't realize that without a reciprocated following you couldn't send the message privately.

And as someone that has two entertainment related businesses that require frequent permissions: I'd never resort to the public Facebook or Twitter functions for any business dealings. (I also don't think this is such a big deal since Ross says he won't release it without permission from the band)

Yeah, no worries. It's a method they use to keep spam down. In this situation, it's definitely not the best way to handle it, but I understand why he tried that route.

Yeah, no worries. It's a method they use to keep spam down. In this situation, it's definitely not the best way to handle it, but I understand why he tried that route.

thank you. That was my last resort after not getting a response from management and checking his blog for contact info(which there was none). I know he is really into vinyl so why wouldnt I want his input, if i was moving forward with it. Its only gonna fuck me in the end if the band isnt cool with it. As ive learned from rx bandits and being stuck with a bunch of three packs

thank you. That was my last resort after not getting a response from management and checking his blog for contact info(which there was none). I know he is really into vinyl so why wouldnt I want his input, if i was moving forward with it. Its only gonna fuck me in the end if the band isnt cool with it. As ive learned from rx bandits and being stuck with a bunch of three packs

i think what ultimately screwed you with the rx bandits record, aside from the band being pretty outspoken against the release, was that the story was picked up by absolutepunk. which only fanned the flames. and all those idiots, even those who had never had any intention of buying the record, convinced other people who might have been on the fence or wanted to buy it, to not buy the record. so a huge portion of potential buyers were turned off by Jason Tate and his minions.

as annoying and dumb as that site can be sometimes, they do have a huge influence and can sway people. they can either help a cause greatly or severly damage it. whichever way the bandwagon goes everyone there jumps on it.

100% agree, and the statement the band put out on their twitter/myspace which was "it looks like dtr is making more money of the licensing of progress then we have yet to see, fuck richard and dtr" which led to hardcore fans(who prob would have got the 3 packs) boycotting the release even though nor myself or the label were mentioned in the statement and richard got his money months before any of this was public.

Brent_Eyestone posted this October 13th, 2011 @ 3:59:48 pm » quote#2428

He also kinda screams "Boy Sets Fire guitarist" in that pic.

The fact that Joey was trying to put this out (presumably with the band) makes me want bad things to happen to this "big fan big fan" chump. In fact, if he does somehow end up going through with the NFG release, I don't see how bad things don't end up happening to him.

The fact that Joey was trying to put this out (presumably with the band) makes me want bad things to happen to this "big fan big fan" chump. In fact, if he does somehow end up going through with the NFG release, I don't see how bad things don't end up happening to him.

What, is the vinyl mafia going to put a hit out on him? Give me a break.

yes. he needs to enroll in the vinyl protection program.

I guess to throw around bonehead threats, a lack of understanding of double negatives in English is necessary.

I don't think there is a such thing as the vinyl mafia. But there are labels and bands, and distributors and pr guys and on and on. The music scene isn't quite as sanitized and safe in the real world as it is on the internet. 6131 is a great label, and a real label, not some fly by night licencing house. If a particular label keeps stepping on everyones toes, It's inevetable that something will eventually happen. It is certainly not unheard of to be shut down against your will.

This dude is treading dangerously into a scene he knows absolutely nothing about, except being a "big fan for 10+years".

They should really think about giving up the whole thing of pressing releases that bands don't want them to press.

I don't understand how people are still taking this guy's side after reading a transcript of a conversation with a member of the band saying "hey asshole, I was trying to put this out with people I know, and I don't know you".

This is what it's come to - fuck the musicians, fuck courtesy, fuck integrity, I just want the colored vinylz.

I don't understand how people are still taking this guy's side after reading a transcript of a conversation with a member of the band saying "hey asshole, I was trying to put this out with people I know, and I don't know you".

This is what it's come to - fuck the musicians, fuck courtesy, fuck integrity, I just want the colored vinylz.

He is giving the fans what they want, duh.

But...I mean...really pretty colored vinylz.

::)