PO: 311- Grassroots(On Vinyl for the 1st Time)

I love Norton. But there is a difference between pressing rare Charlie Feathers b-sides vs an LP that has cds in dollar bins across America. Then again, I really don't care. I like music to be available but preferably with the artist as happy as the fans.

I wasn't bagging on them, just stating that they've been in the business as a label putting out mostly represses of obscure and OOP records.

Check out Ohio's The Alarm Clocks Norton release. It's 60's garage rock ala Kinks.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bootlegs? No.. a bootleg would have no consent from anyone and is usually not worth anyone's time. Getting legal approval is not the same thing.

I understand the reason to hate this situation, but the fact of the matter is, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Trent Reznor's old label still puts out shit without his approval, and his message is "disregard/ignore" etc -- which is fine, most people won't buy that copy, but guess what, plenty will. Thus, the cycle continues.

I'll say it again, "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is the most worthless deflection. Obviously, people feel strongly about the way this label is conducting business, and they're going to discuss it on this discussion board. Why do people feel like this board always has to be uniformly positive and noncritical? There are dissenting opinions, let's talk about them! It's not "if you don't like it, don't point out the ways in which it sucks".

And why does everyone feel like we OWE it to the band? And I'm not talking about indie/underground bands or bands who's lead singers still hang out the merch booth during their own show. I'm talking about bands that have achieved a considerable level of success/fame/popularity etc. If attempts to contact them go unfulfilled, should the idea just end there? Should he have gone to their homes and knocked on their door? Waited outside their tour bus for a shot at 5 measly seconds to try to get their attention? Sponsored the CNN homepage for a day? This dude took the necessary measure to get something worth putting in front of the band to get their attention. In NFG's case, it backfired. In 311's case, the label lied to him (in saying they would clear with the band). Clearly he did not like whatever went on with the RxBandits so he made reasonable efforts to clear with the bands first this time around. As far as he knew in 311's case, he was good to go. Does Nick Hexum have to call this guy up himself in order for him to think he's all set? What exactly is OWED to these bands? It's not like a 3000-unit run of vinyl will have any sort of impact on a band. Common courtesy only gets you so far. "Honoring the band's wishes?" So you're saying a band "wishes" not to have something pressed on vinyl? Or their friend was unable to get it done so now they're pissed? What does that say about their friend and his label?

See, now this entire paragraph is just retarded. I don't know anything about 311, but New Found Glory seems like an approachable band. They're on Epitaph, they play shows with smaller bands at mid-sized clubs, and they are personally on Tumblr, Twitter, etc. They're not U2. Also, it looks to me like it took one tweet to get ahold of someone in the band. That 30-second "potential waste of time" could have happened 6 months ago. "hey, I run a label that reissues stuff. Can I reissue your stuff?" "yes/no" "okay". Not difficult.

This board really blows lately

I gotta agree, a few years back I cam here for information about releases. Now I have to fish through 8 pages of whiny bitch's to get any info on one release. Don't like it, don't post, don't buy it.

People with questionable business practices deserve to be called out. Same concept as the terrible sellers thread. If a "label" was acting this way with a band that I was a fan of, I would certainly like to know about it before I support that "label".

VLV

psychosis posted this October 17th, 2011 @ 11:55:55 pm

"get AAR to let magic bullet have the rights to the vinyl....and then license the vinyl out to enjoy the ride (not EXCLUSIVE license....just license a pressing of 1000 or something and then when he pays the licensing...........press it yourself and sell it for cheaper.

seriously. do it. (it will be like when geffen licensed some blink 182 album to one of those VC labels, and then also pressed it themselves at the same time! of course blink 182 was popular enough to sell through both pressings anyway.....)"

kevin_orie posted this October 17th, 2011 @ 11:58:34 pm

*psychosis posted this October 17th, 2011 @ 11:55:55 pm

"get AAR to let magic bullet have the rights to the vinyl....and then license the vinyl out to enjoy the ride (not EXCLUSIVE license....just license a pressing of 1000 or something and then when he pays the licensing...........press it yourself and sell it for cheaper.

seriously. do it. (it will be like when geffen licensed some blink 182 album to one of those VC labels, and then also pressed it themselves at the same time! of course blink 182 was popular enough to sell through both pressings anyway.....)"

"i was trying to think of a way to screw this dude into losing a ton of money, and this is better than anything i was able to come up with. DO IT!

*controlthebleeding posted this October 18th, 2011 @ 12:33:40 am

"I wouldnt air.it on the net. Someone.already qouted brwnt.here already"

*controlthebleeding posted this October 18th, 2011 @ 12:33:56 am

"Brent"

Yes. Somebody did quote Brent here already.

I gotta agree, a few years back I cam here for information about releases. Now I have to fish through 8 pages of whiny bitch's to get any info on one release. Don't like it, don't post, don't buy it.

People with questionable business practices deserve to be called out. Same concept as the terrible sellers thread. If a "label" was acting this way with a band that I was a fan of, I would certainly like to know about it before I support that "label".

this.

however, on this board when you call out a popular label or company, you usually get crap from their fan boys/the idiots of the world.

Is it just me, or is it weird that this "official" business is being conducted over twitter?

It's not just you; This would have been avoided if handled via e-mail/phone, which i believe was brought up a few pages ago.

Is it just me, or is it weird that this "official" business is being conducted over twitter?

It's not just you; This would have been avoided if handled via e-mail/phone, which i believe was brought up a few pages ago.

At stated in prior posts I attempted to handle it via an email/voicemail to management but after a few days of no response and universal waiting for a response I decided to hit up chad via twitter for lack of options. We all make mistakes and after a handful of emails back and fourth with chad, everything is fine. He was pissed at universal for their lack of communication with him and eventually responding to me. Long story short, no hard feelings from either of us and I am most likely going to help chad get in touch with my contact at universal so he can set something up with one of his friends labels. One way or another the album will probably come out on vinyl within the next year, just not through us.

• 1 month later...

they should have started shipping last weekend

Is there email confirmation to the buyer that they shipped or will it just show up one day? I'm curious to see if I should be on the lookout for mine now or later.

I am not personally shipping these so I honestly cant tell you. They are being shipped by our distro partner but I was told that they started to ship this weekend. Sorry I cant be for help but for the larger major label stuff, the shipping is out of my hands

Is there email confirmation to the buyer that they shipped or will it just show up one day? I'm curious to see if I should be on the lookout for mine now or later.

I am not personally shipping these so I honestly cant tell you. They are being shipped by our distro partner but I was told that they started to ship this weekend. Sorry I cant be for help but for the larger major label stuff, the shipping is out of my hands

Totally cool. I have no problem having with suprise shipments when I get home from work. It makes the day more exciting.