Vinyl Cleaner and Brush Suggestions?

Hey guys, sorry if there is already a thread for this cause I couldnt find one. Im looking for suggestions on a cheap but good vinyl carbon fiber brush and also a cleaner. I cant afford $200+ for those vacuum machines, so just looking for a good spray. Not looking to spend for than $40 total. Links? Ebay links? anything helps guys. Thanks!

you can also use rubbing alcohol and the softest paper towels you can find. I walked in to a local indie record store close to where i live and saw the dude in there doing that, he said its the best and cheapest way to clean your records. I would go that route, cheap, effective, and gets your records nice and clean!

No no no no no no no no no

you can also use rubbing alcohol and the softest paper towels you can find. I walked in to a local indie record store close to where i live and saw the dude in there doing that, he said its the best and cheapest way to clean your records. I would go that route, cheap, effective, and gets your records nice and clean!

You know what else works great? Hydrochloric acid applied with a belt sander.

Seriously though, if you want to make a DIY cleaning solution, try 3 parts distilled water, 1 part Isopropyl alcohol and one or two drops of dishwashing liquid.

And if you're looking for a sweet microfiber cloth, try these: http://www.chemicalguys.com/MONSTER_MICROFIBER_JUMBO_ABSORBER_p/mic_1100_01.htm

I can't speak for the microfiber cloth that bags unlimited sells, but I got one from Sleevetown and it sucked ... left lots of fuzzies.

In terms of carbon fiber brushes, they're all very similar. None are very good for deep cleaning, but they're remove surface dust / dirt and (sorta) help with static. If you have a record that's already clean, you definitely want one to keep it clean.

Backed, good enough for your average groove cleaning

Thanks all. I ended up going with this for now.

www.aslanstore.com have good and cheap solutions.

any experiences/reviews on those velvet pads?

They're quite alright. The liquid cleans dirty records nicely enough for me. Pads do wear out after maybe a hundred wash with the liquid but they're cheap and effective so I bought more.

Personnally, I prefer a large brush that's long enough to make the record lenght but the small pads work well with 7" or to clean dirty LPs with the solution. I tried their stylus cleaner but I'm not sure if it's working well since dirt can't be seen.

Comes with micro bristled cleaning brush; cotton cleaning cloth, one 2 oz bottle of GROOVY Cleaning Fluid.

"GROOVY" Cleaner is Bags Unlimited's own Record Cleaning Fluid, specially formulated for its deep-cleaning, antistatic, residue-free properties. Kit cleans 25-30 vinyl records.

Kit comes with cotton storage bag.

For replacement fluid, order AGC4, AGC8 or AGC32.

Formula contains alcohol.

We have almost 40 years in the preservation business and we make our own cleaner....you really want to do this right!http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-2323-groovy-record-cleaning-kit-for-vinyl-records.aspx

No no no no no no no no no

Why NO? the guy in store was cleaning the records like that, and said its the best way to clean them, and he was cleaning them, then putting them out to sell, so is there harm in this method and if so what exactly, im curious to know. I have never used this method was only told that it works.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest soulcrusher

Bringing this back from the dead. I bought a brush with a velvet pad and some cleaner. I've noticed that any time I clean a (relatively clean looking) record, there are more pops and clicks than before. Seems like it's leaving residue in the grooves or something. Should I ditch this brush and get something else? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?

Bringing this back from the dead. I bought a brush with a velvet pad and some cleaner. I've noticed that any time I clean a (relatively clean looking) record, there are more pops and clicks than before. Seems like it's leaving residue in the grooves or something. Should I ditch this brush and get something else? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?

You need to wipe the record dry..always than use a carbon fiber brush on it

Washing it with cleaner and leaving it alone isnt going to do the job