7000+ Items Sold and Still Can't Ship A Record

kriss

Drives me nuts. Ordered a UK press of Stay Sick by The Cramps and received it in the mail today only to find a large one and a half inch split on the top of the sleeve due to the record being mailed inside of it. It looks really bad and I'm unreasonably angry about this, though maybe I shouldn't be. You'd think that after several thousands of transactions (of which records most likely account for several hundred of that), sellers would know how to properly package and ship a record. Friggin' a.

I request that every time. IT's what saved the copies of those The Starting Line 10" records from ETR that I bought earlier this year (and had to let go of not too long ago).

SOmetimes sellers don't give a fuck and ship it however they want, though. I'll ask, and they won't do fuck all of what I ask 'em to do.

shit, I asked a UK seller to specifically use a cardboard LP mailer repeatedly and it still came in that thin shitty envelope where your jacket gets mangled to shit. some sellers are completely clueless.

I think it has less to do with them being clueless and more to do with them being cheap. Money saved on shipping materials is just extra money in the sellers pocket. I think a lot of independant online sellers have this mentality.

what label / store was it?

I'm surprised that more people don't request vinyl to be shipped outside of the sleeve to be honest

This:

Dear krissstress,

Hi, Although I do apologize about the sleeve becoming split,quite honestly I would never ship an LP outside of a jacket anyhow.

The risk factor is too high for damage to the actual Vinyl itself.I think the jacket itself was not manufactured that crisp and probably just gave apart during transit. I can offer you a partial refund on your purchase if you like. Best Regards Erin

- timewaitsfornoone71

Eh. Atleast I'll get a few bucks back for the blemish. The sleeve is practically perfect aside from this jag's mess up.

^^^ that's fucking horse shit. I always ship the record outside of the jacket, in a clear protect inner sleeve. If you pack the vinyl the correct way (using an extra inner piece of cardboard), having the record on the outside of the jacket should be IS fine.

In fact, shipping the record on outside of the jacket is the ONLY way to ensure no seam splits in transit. Dicknose won't even spring for a $1 clear inner sleeve? Fuck em. Word of mouth disparagement is karma for asshats that don't really care what they sell, just as long as they make a buck... or pound, or rupee, or whatever.

shit, I asked a UK seller to specifically use a cardboard LP mailer repeatedly and it still came in that thin shitty envelope where your jacket gets mangled to shit. some sellers are completely clueless.

The most expensive record I've bought recently- QotSA Songs 4 deaf... Just like that too. To be fair it was a bubble wrapper.... but it came from the Netherlands to my house in Florida.... that's not a soft-sided bubble mailer situation.

I was really surprised actually, I didn't even think I had to say please carefully protect my OOP record that I'm paying upwards of $60 for. Just seemed requisite.

I lol'ed when the records were perfect... and i really could give a shit about the cover. Also.... the Ipecac version is awesome sounding :)

I think it has less to do with them being clueless and more to do with them being cheap. Money saved on shipping materials is just extra money in the sellers pocket. I think a lot of independant online sellers have this mentality.

this is true. but when you think about it saving money by skimping on packaging materials should never really be at fault, to blame, an excuse or reason. assuming most people selling records also buy records, they should save the mailers the records they're buying are sent in and re-use them. all you have to do is turn them inside out or at the very least cover up the old mailing address. i try to have a stockpile of at least 10 LP mailers and i save every 7" mailer i come across because those are rarely used anymore and are getting hard to come by. there is no excuse for not throwing in extra cardboard for support because it is so easy to come by.

that is so much easier, and costs nothing too, everyone should re-use old record mailers if they're not buying brand new ones to use. it's a win-win for everyone; the seller spends nothing on shipping supplies and the buyer's record stands a far better chance at arriving safely. plus it's a form of recyclying.

i keep all my US mailers for sending out coz they are the best ones to use. the UK and European mailers are absolute shit.

the problem from my end is that the cardboard stiffener will make a single 12" go from costing $17.25 to ship to the States to $33 (goes from being under 500 grams to over 500 grams. check out auspost.com.au for yourself. stuff going to the states that weighs over 500 grams ALSO cops a $9 'security' fee. bullshit, imo). big difference in cost.....

That's why I send a photo of the postal receipt as soon as I leave the post office. It saves me baggy emails about the whole where is my shit man?

It's in the mail, our postal sucks and your customs suck too. On the flipside. I sent a copy of galsifht anthem to the uk through registered post and it took 5 days.

Sure it cost $30 though

is it this version? if not your missing out :)

[image]

It was one of these:

http://www.discogs.com/Cramps-Stay-Sick/release/2624384

Not a big fan of clear blue vinyl and since this one came with three extra tracks, I came out with the copy I would have preferred of any of the myriad pressings of this album.

I was reading this thread and I was fully prepared to bitch about a specific incident in which a dude mailed me my copy of Grade's "Under The Radar" in a fucking BUBBLE MAILER...

...and then I saw that video. My jacket was beat up...but at least I can still listen to it.

Now my heart hurts thinking about what I would do if a record of mine showed up like the one above.