record arrived broken from ebay

What do I do now? I have honestly never dealt with a bad seller via ebay.

Here's the in's and out's of the story:

I paid $16 for the record. It arrived and instead of being in a mailer it was sent to me.... in the most elborate/idiotic way possible. The record itself was placed between two pieces of cardboard and then a metric ton of packing tape was wrapped around the cardboard. From here, the record was then shoved into a big manilla envelope. It took me like 20 minutes to cut through all the tape holding this beast together. Anyway, I pull the record out and the bottom 1/4 of the record is cracked... it's not separated from the rest of the record... it's just sort of flapping around.

Now here's my issue with the whole deal. The fucking thing was wrapped up super tight in this carboad.... so it didn't appear that it was bent at any time during shipment. Also, the sleeve didn't display any wear whatsoever. This leads me to believe that the evil motherfucker KNEW it was broken before he shipped it.

I contacted him... courteously.... and was like, how shall we proceed from here. He told me to take a pic and he'd refund me half my money. Is there any way I can get a full refund out of this guy? Should I just be happy with my 8 bucks?

What do I do from here?

I'd file a legit claim. Whenever someone sends me something wrapped so dumb I take a picture of it right off the bat. It would have come in handy for showing no wear on the package and help your case that it was sent busted. Be careful though how you word things in the claim. From the way he wrapped it there is a chance he could say you broke it by trying to get it out.

Ha! The plot thickens....

From ebay:

Hi,

We let the seller know the item wasn't as described. The seller offered you a partial refund of $12.00.

I'm very tempted to just take that and be done with that matter. I can deal with losin 4 bucks.

It's hilarious that his first offer was 8 bucks and now that I filed a claim he's uping it 12. He must have known the record was broken and was just hoping I wouldn't open it and just throw it on a shelf. Beautiful.

why lose anything? I would get the full amount plus the cost of shipping it back if the seller wants it back...

I think it'd be worth it to me to just accept the 12 dollar refund and not have to bother with shipping it back.

It is your money. costs 2.60 to send a 12" via paypal with delivery confirmation....

i dont know about doing it wrong. its pretty simple. fill in the blanks and thats the pice that comes up. i charge $3.50 minimum on ebay stuff. i always go over on the weight a little because my post office chick is kind of a bitch and when i go under she wont let me pay the difference.

when you use paypal to do the money transfer, you have the option to print your label (usps) and everything at home. then you just take it to the post office, they scan it and then its have a nice day.