Hey VC...Help me choose a flatscreen TV

jhulud

So yeah...I'm in the market for a flatscreen TV...either a 32" or 37.

I have no idea what the difference is between LED and LCD. I'm old I know...

So help me out...what do y'all recommend? Any particular brand that is awesome?...Any to stay away from?

(Some of you saw me asking the same in Twitter...thank you for the response)

I always back Samsung tvs, I love mine and everyone I know that has one feels the same about theirs.

If you're only looking to go 32'-37' you're fine with a 60hz

Difference in LED vs. LCD is just the backlighting.. both are actually LCD tv's in reality.

In my opinion the LED have a slightly better picture, and I believe are better on power consumption.

My recommendation is a 32"-37" Samsung LED. (though i'm sure you'll wind up getting a few different opinions here)

I'd go 37". My 32" is starting to feel small after owning it for 2 years. LED is ideal, better on power and usually better picture quality. 60hz is probably good enough, but 120hz is ideal. Samsung is really good, as mentioned, but if you're on a smaller budget check out Vizio's. Despite them usually only being sold at cheap stores, like Walmart or Target, they are actually really well built TVs. I'd just browse for some online deals, and check out the users reviews to make sure there are no defects or recalls or major problems a lot of people have in common.

samsung led, a little more pricy but totally worth it. 120hz imo, personally do not know a good bit but my understand 120hz is all around the way to go.

keep your eyes on slickdeals and wait until one pops up that fits your preference and budget. lots of different models so do not be afraid to ask either on slickdeals or do some research on a particular model or line you have your eye on.

but yeah as a lot have mentioned samsung is the way to go.

My opinion, and others may disagree, is that technical specs don't matter that much and are highlighted to shorten product life cycles. However, manufacturers are important, but Samsung, Sony and even Sharp I think have great sets.

The size question is contextual. Is it going on a huge wall, I'd try to get a 42" otherwise it will appear pretty small. If it is going on a stand, I think you can go smaller. I try to think about the size for the space, not size generally.

Also, this I promise, it will look much bigger when you get it out of the store and into your home.

I have a 49? inch bravia II sony led. It was purchased like 3 years ago for 2700 and now sells for like 1000.

It's fantastic. We can hook our laptops up to it so we can stream movies and what not on the big screen [netflix, hulu, cuevana.tv ] and I suppose you could play games as well but we don't haha

I don't know if all TV's come with HD, but I would strongly advise paying more for the HD if it's an option. HD channels look so beautiful.

My dad bought my mom some other TV [ brand escapes me], like 37 inch flatscreen, recently, for an extremely cheap price. It comes with a built in internet connection app allowing for netflix streaming right through it. The problem with the TV imo is that everything looks like it was filmed with a video camera. It's really weird; as if the quality is so good that it puts you into the tv.

go sony go sony go sonyyyyy

The problem with the TV imo is that everything looks like it was filmed with a video camera. It's really weird; as if the quality is so good that it puts you into the tv.

I feel the same way about blu-rays. They look so real that they're pretty much unwatchable for me. An acquired taste, perhaps, haha.

Do you want that size because of space or it is what you can afford?

If it's a money issue, go with a projector over a flatscreen. As someone who bought a 47" Samsung LCD and a 55" Toshiba LED before I bought my projector, I wish I would have just bought 3 projectors.

Also, if you play a lot of video games, beware of lag. It is literally impossible to play an MLB game on my LCD or LED. There is a lag of about a second between the time my PS3 sends the signal and when I see it on the screen. Makes the games unplayable. Luckily, my DLP projector has zero lag so I can still play the games. The effect isn't as detrimental if you play something like Madden (where pinpoint timing isn't necessary), but it is there.

The problem with the TV imo is that everything looks like it was filmed with a video camera. It's really weird; as if the quality is so good that it puts you into the tv.

I feel the same way about blu-rays. They look so real that they're pretty much unwatchable for me. An acquired taste, perhaps, haha.

My mom got used to it pretty fast but I tried watching 30 rock and it was absolutely horrible! I only watch movies on the tv now because some older movies look normal. I've never watched a blueray before

After having a 40" lcd samsung, a 40" led 3d sony, and 55" plasma toshiba, get a LED tv. you won't be sorry. and yes, samsungs are awesome. the sony led's are awesome too. but get a 120hz at the least.. will make for good action movies and will not ghost.

40" are perfect size for stuff if you are placing it in your room. anything larger is way too big. if it's going in a living area. 47" and above is good.

60hz will be fine if all you're doing is watching TV... everything that is broadcasted is produced in 60hz and the 120 wont make a difference. if you game or intend on watching blu-ray, 120hz makes sense, not to mention you're future-proofed.

my vote is for samsung. i have a 47" sammy LED and it is rad. i got it with my girlfriend, so we splurged a bit, but it has internet and other bells and whistles... i can watch Netflix right off of my TV, which is awesome. my parents have had a samsung tv for 4 or 5 years now, and it has held up great. really good quality and a sturdy build. around black friday, they were going wildly cheap too. you can probably still hook something up for a fair price.