planning a trip to chicago in the spring...

motorbike

my girlfriend and i are planning on coming up to chicago sometime in the spring and neither one of us ahve been before. when would be the best time to come? what should we do? i would really like to make a larry arms show so hopefully they play one sometime between april and june. give me the low down!

my girlfriend and i are planning on coming up to chicago sometime in the spring and neither one of us ahve been before. when would be the best time to come? what should we do? i would really like to make a larry arms show so hopefully they play one sometime between april and june. give me the low down!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USIL0225

I wouldn't come any earlier than May. It will be nice enough by then to walk around a lot. Obviously Lawrence Arms doesn't play often, but there is always a good show going on. Might be easier to see a side project or solo show if you aren't dead set on TLA. Tons of record stores to go to so that isn't a problem.

Stay close to a train (northwest suburbs, rosemont area will probably be cheapest), if you're going a hotel route. Buy an unlimited CTA pass, take it everywhere.

Check out good chicago deep dish (on going debate, i prefer D'Agostino's or Lou Malnati's over Giordanno's).

Check out a show at a great venue (Lincoln Hall, Schubas, Metro, Bottom Lounge, Subterranean) or one of the dives (Empty Bottle, Beat Kitchen, Elbo Room).

Go to a good record store (Reckless on Milwaukee, Reckless on Broadway, Dave's, Record Breakers, Groovin High).

Go see some comedy (Second City $$$, iO Chicago (cheap late shows).

Not all comedy, but definitely go see Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind. 30 plays in 60 minutes and it's always a good time. Apparently the longest running show in chicago.

Other good restaurants/bars: Northdown Cafe, Kuma's Corner, DMK Burger Bar, Chicago Diner (Vegan Comfort Food), Good Island Brew Pub, Hopleaf.

There's tons of stuff to do in chicago. if your girl is more of a girly girl, i can give you some good shopping advice to, as i've been through that. if you plan your evenings, your days will fill in.

we are staying with some friends from canada that live there and will most likely be there at least a full week. i dont believe we will be hanging out with them most of the time, just crashing at their place. im not real sure where they live but i know they take the train everywhere. we plan on doing all the touristy type things we can (that are free), gonna try and take in a comedy show and definitely a brenden kelly/larry arms show (i am actually planning around this) if possible. no record stores or shopping. oh, and we will definitely be boozing so give me those food and bar suggestions!

for comedy, i definitely suggest iO. Midnight shows are always $5. I've even gone to a couple midnight shows where certain SNL cast members have shown up to perform with an improv group.

Rainbo Room is a total hipster dive bar. Sometimes the Kinsellas will show up or even bartend. Estelle's is also a hipster bar in wicker park. Go on tuesday night for cheap craft brews. Definitely check out some breweries while you're here.

If The Lakeshore Theater were still open (RIP, April 10, 2010), I'd say check out ANY show there for comedy. That was my favorite venue, period, in the whole city. Loved that place. No other place is worth going to for comedy. Trying to fill the void is the The Comedy Bar at 157 W. Ontario St. in the middle of downtown.

Still miss the Lakeshore Theater, though. Mayne Stage right off the Morse red line stop is run by the same GM with a lot of the same staff under him, and as a result they get a lot of the same people they were cozy with, and they put on some good shows, but they're usually scheduled for when I have no money or I've already got tickets to something. Beautiful place, though.

After getting rid of the Melvins burger, my wife hardly thinks it's worth waiting there, particularly after some shit-awful service at Kuma's the last time we were there. If you can't do spicy (which she can't) there ain't shit for you at Kuma's. At least nothing that appeals to her, anyway.

Hot Doug's IS glorious. Have an early lunch/late breakfast and get there a half hour before it opens. It's worth it.

Reiterating a lot of what's already been said:

Eat gimmick food (that is admittedly delicious) at Hot Doug's and Kuma's. The trick for Kuma's is to get there either A)right when it opens or B)go on a Sunday during a Bears game. The trick for Hot Doug's is to dress for the weather, because you're gonna be standing outside pretty much no matter what (but goddamn is it always worth it).

Eat pizza at Lou Malnati's, Ian's and Lucky Vito's.

Drink at the Gingerman, Delilah's and the Mutiny.

Shop at Reckless, Permanent and Record Breakers.

See a show at the Metro, Lincoln Hall and the Beat Kitchen. Three best venues in Chicago, if you ask me.

Do touristy shit at the John Hancock Building, Wrigley Field and Millenium Park (that's where "the bean" is, and there's a Reckless within 5 minutes' walking distance of here).

Buy a CTA pass and ride the Blue Line everywhere (and/or hop on a bus—they are plentiful in Chicago, and you rarely get stabbed).