Threadz thread

on a serious note though does anyone tailor their clothes ?

i'm tall and rather skinny so it's a complete pain in the ass to buy a shirt/flannel/sweater that fits long enough but doesn't hang out in the back awkwardly because it's too wide.

i've found american apparel shirts fit true to size but i just wanted to know if it's super time consuming or hard to pick up on altering clothes.

I'm in the same boat as you. Usually I wear plain AA shirts in size XS, but usually a small in anything will suffice (both for plaid and sweater). AE "vintage fit" plaid shirts and sweaters usually fit pretty well.

When I wear dress stuff, I usually wear a slim fit dress shirt (you can find some at Marshall's) and dress pants from Express.

do you mean that coat specifically or that style?

the choice of clothing makes the coat look bad. wear it with a button-up shirt, tie and light jacket. during rain in the spring. i can't think of a situation less casual where the coat would work to be honest.

while we're at it, anyone want some jeans from urban outfitters i bought but don't really like too much a couple days after?

http://thecomune.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/DENIMFIT04.jpg

they are the second style in that picture. the color is sort of a shiny grey/blue. size 32x32. they fit pretty similarly to levi's 511s. i'll post/send a picture of the actual pair when i get home tonight, but i want to gauge interest. $20 + shipping? wore them once. never washed.

i really need to find dress clothes that fit me better. i always feel like im swimming in my clothes and i have like three shirts extra of material. i own 15-20 dress shirts and i have one custom fit button up polo that fits perfect. any advice appreciated. im like 5'8" and weigh 145. i always see people that have clothes that fit so nice and slim and like suits that are cut to them and really sharp looking.

for other stuff it is mostly my one pair of all black vans or moccasins (which always fall apart after a year or two), with jeans (usually only levi 511s or seven for all mankinds), and tshirts...i own like 30 obey shirts.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=47935

didn't you post one time that you make a shit ton of money in the oil industry?

sweet, i need to shop there more. thanks for the link, plus they are having a 30% off sale which is pretty awesome.

i do work in the oil industry as an engineer but i make a lot lot less then most of the other people i graduated with. im in like the lower 5%. needless to say i save my money, have bills, school loans, and all that jazz just like everyone else.

youre pretty much the same size as me, just about 10 pounds lighter.

when shopping for dress shirts, just always keep an eye out for the "slim fit" tag. its your best friend.

as far as casual wear, start with pac sun and h&m, because that sounds like a good starting point for your style. once youre ready to move on and class it up a little, turn your focus towards gap, banana republic, lands end, and even macys.

owning a macys credit card seemed dangerous at first, but its amazing how cheap you can get everything with it. its also how i ended up with the first suit that really fits me. was on my way out after paying my bill one day, saw a calvin klien slim fit suit on sale, and got it for maybe $89.

thanks for all the advice. my mom has worked in makeup at dillards for like 20 years so i get her discount but yeah. i like what i saw on h&m but there is none in like all of texas. maybe i can find some shopping while up here in chicago. been here 4 months but only gone to the city for half a day. when im here its work 7days/week. insane deal about the suit too!

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=47935

didn't you post one time that you make a shit ton of money in the oil industry?

sweet, i need to shop there more. thanks for the link, plus they are having a 30% off sale which is pretty awesome.

i do work in the oil industry as an engineer but i make a lot lot less then most of the other people i graduated with. im in like the lower 5%. needless to say i save my money, have bills, school loans, and all that jazz just like everyone else.

youre pretty much the same size as me, just about 10 pounds lighter.

when shopping for dress shirts, just always keep an eye out for the "slim fit" tag. its your best friend.

as far as casual wear, start with pac sun and h&m, because that sounds like a good starting point for your style. once youre ready to move on and class it up a little, turn your focus towards gap, banana republic, lands end, and even macys.

owning a macys credit card seemed dangerous at first, but its amazing how cheap you can get everything with it. its also how i ended up with the first suit that really fits me. was on my way out after paying my bill one day, saw a calvin klien slim fit suit on sale, and got it for maybe $89.

thanks for all the advice. my mom has worked in makeup at dillards for like 20 years so i get her discount but yeah. i like what i saw on h&m but there is none in like all of texas. maybe i can find some shopping while up here in chicago. been here 4 months but only gone to the city for half a day. when im here its work 7days/week. insane deal about the suit too!

sorry if that money question came off as a little rude; i didn't intend it to!

and no h&m in texas?! that's terrible. seriously. probably 1/3 of my clothes come from there.

no its ok sometimes i come off as rude or say the wrong things and to be completely honest i am the typical nice guy and always put others in front of me no matter how much i get ran over. point being i would hope i never gave off the impression about how much money i make, because i just am not that way and would never intend to be. no worries though i didn't take it rude. :)

also yeah ive never even been to h&m much less know much about them. seems like there is one in chicago i may have to check out...actually just went look and there is one in oakbrook il that is at the mall like a mile from my hotel! tells you how much free time i have but will definitely go one of the afternoons i actually leave the site at 5 and not 8.

thanks again for all the advice. im gonna be stylin'

on a serious note though does anyone tailor their clothes ?

i'm tall and rather skinny so it's a complete pain in the ass to buy a shirt/flannel/sweater that fits long enough but doesn't hang out in the back awkwardly because it's too wide.

i've found american apparel shirts fit true to size but i just wanted to know if it's super time consuming or hard to pick up on altering clothes.

Drop it off, pick it up.

Pretty simple. I get my pants tailored. Obviously they do the measurements too, but it's an easy process. Find a good tailor in your area and you're set.

do you mean that coat specifically or that style?

the choice of clothing makes the coat look bad. wear it with a button-up shirt, tie and light jacket. during rain in the spring. i can't think of a situation less casual where the coat would work to be honest.

while we're at it, anyone want some jeans from urban outfitters i bought but don't really like too much a couple days after?

http://thecomune.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/DENIMFIT04.jpg

they are the second style in that picture. the color is sort of a shiny grey/blue. size 32x32. they fit pretty similarly to levi's 511s. i'll post/send a picture of the actual pair when i get home tonight, but i want to gauge interest. $20 + shipping? wore them once. never washed.

I've never worn 511s (or these UO) jeans. How skinny are they, really?

i'll take a picture of 'em when i get home. i'm 6' 2", 160lbs and they fit well, but aren't really my style. if you have muscular thighs, they might look weird.

they don't look painted on, though they are way closer to that look than they are to a baggy look.

[image]

shitty picture, dirty mirror, etc etc but you get the idea.

was gonna buy this stuff....

one

two

three

and then i waited a day or two and the pants sold out in my size. then i was gonna get the shirts last night with the 30% off but kept getting technical error...so i said f it and didn't get anything.

i may try american apparel for a few things once back in town. i like american made stuff and found a few companies that have american made clothes but most are high end expensive fashion, some more crazy than others.

anyway it is probably best if i get all the shit i already own tailored...need to find a good tailor.

i may have to try out brooks brothers. some people swear by custom tailored clothes. my dad when he goes to china has a tailor who makes shit dirt cheap.

i bet there are a ton in houston that are reasonable, in my quick search some have like 6 shirts for $300. that isn't bad at all!

i live for research so i need some additional research on finding a good and reliable tailor, although that necessarily does not translate to expensive, hopefully.

kohls had all their 'discontinued' end of the season dress clothes styles 70% off this weekend, and my boyfriend got 3 slim fit dress shirts (i forget which brand) for around $22 (that included him using $10 in kohls cash that had earned earlier and an extra 15% off for using his kohls charge card).

we went to the brooks brothers outlet in hershey this weekend for shits and giggles and even on 'clearance', a plaid button up was around $50, which seems pretty excessive to me. he did, however, get a really nice pair of slimmer fitting dress khakis from j.crew for around $40.

also, extra 30% off all sale items! http://www.jcrew.com/sale.jsp

I found a very nice GAP outlet zip-up sweater when I was in Lake George this weekend, but it wasn't in my size and it's discontinued. Anyone know where I can find a nice gray zip-up sweater? I want something I can wear to school when I teach and also on the bench when I coach and it's cold. For travel hockey I wear hoodies and look like a scrub, but we wear shirt+tie for the high school league, so I need more layers that are nicer.

kohls had all their 'discontinued' end of the season dress clothes styles 70% off this weekend, and my boyfriend got 3 slim fit dress shirts (i forget which brand) for around $22 (that included him using $10 in kohls cash that had earned earlier and an extra 15% off for using his kohls charge card).

The shirts were all Arrow.

i'll take a picture of 'em when i get home. i'm 6' 2", 160lbs and they fit well, but aren't really my style. if you have muscular thighs, they might look weird.

they don't look painted on, though they are way closer to that look than they are to a baggy look.

[image]

shitty picture, dirty mirror, etc etc but you get the idea.

Just saw that you posted the picture. I'm not sure those are my style... I don't think I like things quite that skinny.

The shirts were all Arrow.

sometimes i'm really creeped out when you just pop up on here.

real life =/= VC life