Threadz thread

Check out the sidebar here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice

It's not an end all be all, but it's a decent list. Oops, just noticed that Michael mentioned this above, oh well, it's a good starter so I'll leave it.

The most important aspect is FIT! Seriously, go to a tailor they make a huge difference! I'm short and it's impossible to find pants that fit me well (Outside of Gap.com who sell 28L), so I go to a tailor and having pants that fit well can do remarkable things for your image.

A lot of people think women/gfs/moms/etc are great for picking out men's clothes, but not all of them know anything about men's fashion.

If you want some nice quality clothes for cheap check out the sales section at Lands End Canvas. LEC is geared towards a younger fashion crowd. Sold quality and fits.

We're really talking Old Navy in here? Their clothes are absolute shit. I've never seen jeans shred apart so quickly or shirts get fucked in the wash so easily. Not worth the "deals" that they may appear to be.

that's weird. my mom has always bought my dad shirts there and never had that problem. i have a couple sweaters that i've had for probably 4 or 5 years and they're still in great condition.

Old Navy's clothes lack a bit of shape, they're kinda boxy. As the Gap brand goes up the quality gets a little better...

Banana Republic > Gap > Old Navy

Another thing I forgot to mention above, find some fashion blogs that you like (Tumblr is great for this) and follow them, find styles that suit you and go from there. One of my favorites:

http://dreamsofperfection.wordpress.com/

Also, Put This On is a great resource:

http://putthison.com/

Old Navy's clothes lack a bit of shape, they're kinda boxy. As the Gap brand goes up the quality gets a little better...

Another thing I forgot to mention above, find some fashion blogs that you like (Tumblr is great for this) and follow them, find styles that suit you and go from there. One of my favorites:

all of this is true.

however, i can't really afford clothes in BR. and only buy in Gap when they're on sale.

i will say not to buy cheap jeans. i tried ones from Target just because they were cheap and seemed to fit ok, but after wearing them once they were all stretched out.

from now on, i'm only purchasing jeans from ae. (i realize that these, too, may be considered 'cheap' by those that prefer the $100+ variety, raw denim, etc)

I'm hardly an expert, but I've been trying to dress nicer lately and it seems to work pretty easily.

Step 1: Pants that fit - I've really begun to like cords. I have Levi's and J Crew.

Step 2: Collared shirts - Probably not dress shirts unless you like to tuck them in because a lot of them hang too low.

Step 3: Nicer shoes. I've gotten so many compliments just by upgrading from black slip on vans to boat shoes and nicer sneakers.

Step 4: Sweaters instead of hoodies

Step 5: a watch. I don't think I'll ever go back to not wearing a watch.

Also black socks, and slim fit shirts assuming you're not that big. I'm like 5-11, 175 and no dress shirts seem to fit small enough around the waist.

I rock cords all the time and people sometimes think I'm weird. They're great! Sorta-dressy, but still jean-like. I'm rocking some now to go coach my high school hockey game.

Actually, right now I'm rocking khaki cords, a light blue button up, a navy blue skinny tie, and a pull-over brown/light blue/navy blue/white sweater.

I'll upload a picture later. I think it looks solid, but what do I know.

I'm hardly an expert, but I've been trying to dress nicer lately and it seems to work pretty easily.

Step 1: Pants that fit - I've really begun to like cords. I have Levi's and J Crew.

Step 2: Collared shirts - Probably not dress shirts unless you like to tuck them in because a lot of them hang too low.

Step 3: Nicer shoes. I've gotten so many compliments just by upgrading from black slip on vans to boat shoes and nicer sneakers.

Step 4: Sweaters instead of hoodies

Step 5: a watch. I don't think I'll ever go back to not wearing a watch.

Also black socks, and slim fit shirts assuming you're not that big. I'm like 5-11, 175 and no dress shirts seem to fit small enough around the waist.

try express men's. i'm 6' 2"/160lb and their slim fit dress shirt fits me well.

ive always been a sucker for clothing. but at some point this year, i realized that outside of jeans/v-necks/plaid button downs/zip up hoodies, that none of my stuff matched. nothing at all. had an interview one day, and the night before i realized i couldnt even round-up pants/shirt/belt/shoes properly.

so back in the summer i decided it was time to upgrade my whole wardrobe, and now im just kind of addicted.

it all started with h&m, because i loved everything in there. but after a little while, i realized that h&m almost only serves as a guideline. they showcase some very good looks and styles, but i always find myself purchasing their looks from other stores; gap (a lot of gap actually..), pac sun, and ae as long as that fucking bird isnt plastered all over it. but land's end is my new favorite. both their classic and canvas lines are similar to the gap, but nicer, and about equal in price.

these days, i mostly rock mid to dark brown khakis, and one of the 9 or 10 button downs ive picked up over the last few months. usually on top of that goes the single illest piece i own- a heavy wool cardigan from land's end thats gotta be about 20 years old.. and i got it out of my grandpas closet.

i stepped up my shoe game pretty big too. ive always been vansvanvansnikesvansnikesvans. but this year alone, i picked up the classic leather sperrys, a pair of black leather mid-boats from aldo ($29 down from 90, with 360 degrees of fur inside), and im currently waiting for my beeswax brown clark's desert boots to come in the mail.

next step there is just to replace a couple pair of my authentics, because theyre almost all destroyed at this point.

This dude is probably better off dressing himself than taking advice from people on here. For fucks sake they are suggesting skinny jeans and band shirts.

whats wrong with band shirts? been wearing em since i was 8. they never go out of style.

skinny jeans on the other hand are just weird. to each their own i guess.

all of this is true.

however, i can't really afford clothes in BR. and only buy in Gap when they're on sale.

i will say not to buy cheap jeans. i tried ones from Target just because they were cheap and seemed to fit ok, but after wearing them once they were all stretched out.

from now on, i'm only purchasing jeans from ae. (i realize that these, too, may be considered 'cheap' by those that prefer the $100+ variety, raw denim, etc)

Banana is over priced for what it is IMO.

Gap, I only buy on sale, because they ALWAYS have coupons!

Actually, I rarely buy anything unless it's on sale. That's how I ball out of control.

This dude is probably better off dressing himself than taking advice from people on here. For fucks sake they are suggesting skinny jeans and band shirts.

whats wrong with band shirts? been wearing em since i was 8. they never go out of style.

There's nothing wrong w/ band t-shirts, but in general graphic tees are looked down on if you're trying to look a little nicer.

The guy is trying to dress nice. Band shirts arent really considered "nice" to the general public. Going to an interview in your old Motley Crue shirt probably wont get you the job. There is nothing wrong with wearing them, just not really good advice to someone who wants to dress better.

all of this is true.

Actually, I rarely buy anything unless it's on sale. That's how I ball out of control.

i've become spoiled. i shop at Gabriel Brothers a lot and get things for ridiculously cheap, so when i go into real stores i refuse to pay regular retail price for things.

i find so much nice stuff for my bf there; izod sweaters for $14, express ties for $4, express dress pants for $13, urban outfitters sweaters for $10, levis for $20.

ive always been very good about getting good deals on stuff. like my favorite pair of shorts that were $0.50 at salvy.

but once i come across a great deal, thats where i have a hard time turning down a purchase. i mentioned lands end in my previous post.. for the past month, almost everything in their collection has been 50-60% off. do you know how hard it is to not buy everything?!

ive always been very good about getting good deals on stuff. like my favorite pair of shorts that were $0.50 at salvy.

but once i come across a great deal, thats where i have a hard time turning down a purchase. i mentioned lands end in my previous post.. for the past month, almost everything in their collection has been 50-60% off. do you know how hard it is to not buy everything?!

Yeah. I bought like 3 of those v neck sweaters for $12 each and a couple of the chambray shirts for like 15?

The only advice i can offer is: If you can stretch to the price, buy dry denim, the quality in most cases is vastly superior to regular denim of roughly the same price (Diesel i'm looking at you), it's cut better and if you manage to avoid washing them for a while, they will look fucking badass. I'm wearing a pair of Edwins that i've not washed for 14 months.

i've become spoiled. i shop at Gabriel Brothers a lot and get things for ridiculously cheap, so when i go into real stores i refuse to pay regular retail price for things.

i find so much nice stuff for my bf there; izod sweaters for $14, express ties for $4, express dress pants for $13, urban outfitters sweaters for $10, levis for $20.

GABES.FUCKING.RULES.