Things I Hope Disappear In 2012

In my opinion, if the product is already in production, on it's way to being completed - do a pre-order. Nothing wrong with getting people to help pay for shipping/packaging/other expenses on the record they want...but if you're MTS'ing it, and the record hasn't even started yet/you've not settled on a sleeve - then do a KickStarter.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, if the product is already in production, on it's way to being completed - do a pre-order. Nothing wrong with getting people to help pay for shipping/packaging/other expenses on the record they want...but if you're MTS'ing it, and the record hasn't even started yet/you've not settled on a sleeve - then do a KickStarter.

I'm personally not into Kickstarter

I'm personally not into Kickstarter

I'm not really, either...but I'm also not into pre-orders for projects that it turns out haven't started yet.

Right, but thats not going to happen is what Im saying.

There's a good way to do pre-orders, like having all parts approved and already in production/nearly completed when the pre-order goes up or if you're pre-ordering things months out, at least his your targeted release date.

Then there's a bad way to do pre-orders...see the MTS TOYPAJ thread.

Props to Hot Topic for rarely doing pre-orders.

I really don't even care what record labels do. buyer beware I guess. I just don't understand people who are so easily separated from their hard earned cash.

Props to Hot Topic for rarely doing pre-orders.

The only 2 vinyl pre-orders Ive done were The Devil Wears Prada and the latest Four Year Strong and the labels really wanted to do pre-orders on those so I said ok since HT was getting a complete exclusive/exclusive color. Normally Id rather just wait til records are in stock before selling them. Makes it more simple and causes less problems for the people buying the records as well as the people selling the records.

...but as you've said before, Hot Topic/ you are not a record label... so not really sure how this applies. do you have anything to do with the actual production of the records themselves?

It'd be nice if SRC stopped scooping labels for preorders as soon as they see a release on the "coming soon" page of a catalog. Seems like a shitty way to make money.

1)Countless hipster indie bands

2)Thug Hip Hop

I have never gotten along with anyone who classifies music like this. Probably because I'm going out on a limb and assuming your definition of a "hipster indie band" is anything that gets a Pitchfork review and "thug hip hop" is anything that's not in the vein of Atmosphere or Childish Gambino. I'm not usually far off on this kind of thing, though.

The only 2 vinyl pre-orders Ive done were The Devil Wears Prada and the latest Four Year Strong and the labels really wanted to do pre-orders on those so I said ok since HT was getting a complete exclusive/exclusive color. Normally Id rather just wait til records are in stock before selling them. Makes it more simple and causes less problems for the people buying the records as well as the people selling the records.

...but as you've said before, Hot Topic/ you are not a record label... so not really sure how this applies. do you have anything to do with the actual production of the records themselves?

You don't have to be a label to do pre-orders...Interpunk/SRC/Amazon...that is how it applies.

ctrl+f "Obama" not found...you fail VC. :P

Seriously though...I think we could all do without 10 billion "_______ Wars" reality shows this year and every year from here on out.

You don't have to be a label to do pre-orders...Interpunk/SRC/Amazon...that is how it applies.

Exactly, and yes a lot of times I get the records pressed. Blink, Sublime, Deftones, Box Car, +44....

fail. Ke$ha FTW!

LOL @ this thread.

i classify "countless hipster indie bands" as such too, I don't know how that label doesn't make perfect sense. I don't read Pitchfork at all, but I'm sure I still buy records by bands they cover. there are still bands on their festivals I'd like to see. there are just certain bands that keep popping up with the same boring sound and nothing new to offer.

Isn't the standard policy for most shops and pre-orders to take payment details but not charge the customer until the item ships. At least that's how most I've done have worked, and see no problem with that policy.

Here is the problem with that policy:

They take your billing information ahead of time, but don't charge. That is all fine and dandy in a perfect world, but there are at least seven reasons why this is a pain in the ass.

1. You move. Now you have the records being sent to your old location. You can switch your address assuming it isn't in a grey area where you are just about to move and the record is just about to ship. If you are switching countries there will be added shipping costs. That is if you even remember ordering an LP three months ago when you are moving which is often a stressful situation.

2. You die. That record is gunna do you a lot of good now. You could have purchased a different record and enjoyed it while you were still alive.

3. It is a gift. Missing planned release dates could mean someone doesn't get a gift in time. Now you have to scramble to get a new gift.

4. You lose your credit card (An example that has actually happened to me). You go to the bank and cancel your card. You get a new number that doesn't match your old one. You get an email saying your credit card has been rejected. WTF I have tons of money. Oh yeah I lost my credit card when I was out Ballin' that one night. I'll just give them the new number. Oh sorry the item is sold out now. Thanks, dick.

What could also happen is it gets stolen and now the account is frozen along with the money to pay the pre-order.

5. You get poor. You overdraft your account. The preorder is finally ready and they charge you and it gets rejected or you get hit with another fee.

6. Your interests change. Maybe you really liked Blink 182, but then you see them live and are like WTF I don't want this record anymore. Or you are really into Brand New and then one of the members bangs your sister. Not cool dude. But I still have to buy your record.

7. The label goes belly up and doesn't issue refunds. Or they just take your money and run. If you think this doesn't happen you are wrong. There are people running labels with as much business sense as Michael Scott and as much integrity as James Ford.

lol. ballin'.

as one who frequents pitchfork, i have no problem with the

'countless hipster indie band' label. but im having a very hard time putting my finger on any bands that would count as such.

Isn't the standard policy for most shops and pre-orders to take payment details but not charge the customer until the item ships. At least that's how most I've done have worked, and see no problem with that policy.

Here is the problem with that policy:

They take your billing information ahead of time, but don't charge. That is all fine and dandy in a perfect world, but there are at least seven reasons why this is a pain in the ass.

1. You move. Now you have the records being sent to your old location. You can switch your address assuming it isn't in a grey area where you are just about to move and the record is just about to ship. If you are switching countries there will be added shipping costs. That is if you even remember ordering an LP three months ago when you are moving which is often a stressful situation.

2. You die. That record is gunna do you a lot of good now. You could have purchased a different record and enjoyed it while you were still alive.

3. It is a gift. Missing planned release dates could mean someone doesn't get a gift in time. Now you have to scramble to get a new gift.

4. You lose your credit card (An example that has actually happened to me). You go to the bank and cancel your card. You get a new number that doesn't match your old one. You get an email saying your credit card has been rejected. WTF I have tons of money. Oh yeah I lost my credit card when I was out Ballin' that one night. I'll just give them the new number. Oh sorry the item is sold out now. Thanks, dick.

What could also happen is it gets stolen and now the account is frozen along with the money to pay the pre-order.

5. You get poor. You overdraft your account. The preorder is finally ready and they charge you and it gets rejected or you get hit with another fee.

6. Your interests change. Maybe you really liked Blink 182, but then you see them live and are like WTF I don't want this record anymore. Or you are really into Brand New and then one of the members bangs your sister. Not cool dude. But I still have to buy your record.

7. The label goes belly up and doesn't issue refunds. Or they just take your money and run. If you think this doesn't happen you are wrong. There are people running labels with as much business sense as Michael Scott and as much integrity as James Ford.

1. Fair point. It has happened, but I just switched the mailing address to a friend who wasn't moving without issue. Not a major trouble if you ask me.

2. Oh well, what's some money when I'm dead. And since I wasn't charged yet before dying, I still have money to buy other records I want.

3. Yeah, that would suck. But give them a card in the meantime and say sorry, you'll gift will arrive soon. They should understand if they are decent people.

4. You should have a list of outstanding orders. Email the label and say I got a new card, can I have it changed?

5. I'll concede this point. I don't plan on getting poor.

6. My interests won't change too too much in 3 months. And I can always just sell it and only lose a couple bucks.

7. If you used Visa, Visa will refund you without question. I've gotten money back from them countless times. Then they will go and deal with the label.

All in all, as long as you remember you ordered it, most situations you mentioned can be taken care of quite easily. I still see no major issues with the practice and will continue using it.