anyone in chicago wanna start a band?

^ Really? Because I'm sure Coltrane, Coleman, Sun Ra and countless other free jazz musicians would disagree with you (considering that there are multiple well attended festivals based entirely around jazz with a couple of them devoted to the more atonal end of the genre).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_festivals

(I get the Spinal Tap reference by the way. I see what you did there.)

well, i play drums. if anyone has a place to collectively jam, that would be rad. i live in the northwest suburbs currently, but i'm in the city all the time, and traveling's not a problem.

not sure what everyone's into, but i'm not a punk drummer. i've been in indie rock bands, dance-rock bands. i've filled in on drums for an instrumental explosions-in-the-sky-type-band once.

well, i play drums. if anyone has a place to collectively jam, that would be rad. i live in the northwest suburbs currently, but i'm in the city all the time, and traveling's not a problem.

not sure what everyone's into, but i'm not a punk drummer. i've been in indie rock bands, dance-rock bands. i've filled in on drums for an instrumental explosions-in-the-sky-type-band once.

The not being a punk drummer thing is kind of a relief honestly. In terms of indie, I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of a Sonic Youth influenced approach in some instances, but when I think of dance rock these days, I keep thinking of Hot Hot Heat instead of Gang of Four and that sorta bums me out. I play synth (would be more interested in doing textures as opposed to hashing some 80's revival thing), guitar and bass and could add voice as well.

I think the best approach would be for some of us to get together and play and what sounds good we go with as opposed to shooting for any given genre.

I think the best approach would be for some of us to get together and play and what sounds good we go with as opposed to shooting for any given genre.

I agree with this statement full-heartedly when it comes to making music. Obviously everyone involved in a musical venture will push and pull the sound in a certain way because of their influences and tastes. However, I don't think it should ever be collectively decided that a musical venture is intended or desired to sound a certain way or be a certain style. It's just limiting.

If anyone is interested in what the last project I played in sounded like, follow this link:

(Advanced apologies for the camcorder recording and over-produced visual effects our friend decided to use)

If you like what you hear and are interested in playing, let me know! And of course, check out more of the related links if you please ;)

Thanks!

Zach

You had me at dance rock.

i was j/k

Me too. Aha.

biggest issue is having a place to jam.

I don't really know of any place in the city - at least personally. Depends on where everyone's at. Me and robthepenguin are in Elgin. I could find a spot around here or another close suburb, but doubt anyone's in the area.