Dick Papiercuts (FFO: GBV and Joy Division)

HOW TO SELL RECORDS ON A MESSAGE BOARD, BY PENARECORDS

1. Make a thread about your release on a message board that generally doesn't like, appreciate or even understand the music you're releasing

2. Bump it incessantly even though it is garnering literally zero interest from the message board's core userbase

3. Troll the users of the message board by adding fake links to online stores they like to use and changing the thread title to lure them in

4. Make absolutely zero effort to contribute anywhere else on the message board

5. Generally be an insufferable prick

6. ???

7. Profit!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Make a thread about your release on a message board that generally doesn't like, appreciate or even understand the music you're releasing

2. Bump it incessantly even though it is garnering literally zero interest from the message board's core userbase

3. Troll the users of the message board by adding fake links to online stores they like to use and changing the thread title to lure them in

6. ???

7. Profit!

8.Change the thread title to Extra 20 copies of Death From Above1979 RSD for sale ONLINE NOW!!!!

6. ???

7. Profit!

There should be a status for idiot members. I'll propose "Dollar Bin Reject"

6. ???

7. Profit!

Bumping a thread once a day is incessant? ???

A couple people posted that they dug the record, so you're wrong about the "zero interest".

I don't see why VC'ers won't be able to "appreciate or understand" this music. It isn't harsh noise or 4'33. It is a fully fleshed out rock/pop record. Go in with an open mind and you'll be rewarded. :-*

Yes. That's definitely it. This record is meant to be heard by only the most refined ears on the finest turntables money can buy. We're all commoners who aren't worthy.

Please either contribute to the board or buzz off.

I am contributing to this board; I started this thread. 8-)

And don't get snappy with me. YOU'RE the one who said it.

• 1 month later...

New review from Put The Blog In It's Coffin:

Debut solo long player for Dick Papiercuts, long time NYC Avant Rock man-about-town, and 14+ years under his belt with sporadically operating Chinese Restaurants, as well as the first release for the CA-based Pena label. I thought that the last two Chinese Restaurants singles on SS a few years back were fine enough, but their no-fi, (probably intentionally off-putting) jokey nature didn't earn 'em many repeat plays in my household. The press writeup on this thing just sounded so damn enticing I couldn't resist though. Label's shilling it as an urban update to Corky's Debt...well sheeiiitt Holmes, nem's sum pretty big shoes to fill. Let's try 'em on for size...what'd 'ya know-they fit! The joking continues on this record, with the word play in the name, ridiculous vocal crooning and plenty of piss-taking on innocent targets (Joy Division and Bunuel on "Virdiana," Mighty Baby on "The Devils", the godawful new-wave cum-on of "Let's Make Love," just to name a few) but it doesn't seem as tossed off this time around to me. In fact nothing sounds tossed off at all. The songs on this record are complex, diverse, and in their own peculiar way, mature. After a noisy opening blast Dick settles into the lunging "Yolanda", sounding like the estranged 4th Walker Brother whose share of tunes written for Nite Flites got cut from the original. To close out the A-side, the Restaurant's protest staple "River of Shit" gets re-worked sans Obama speech-clip with members of Ultra Bunny and Pop. 1280. "Mary Ann (The Lens)" is like the Frogs on an English Folk bender and self-references "River of Shit" in its lyrics. And closer "Johnnie" sounds oddly akin, whether it was intended to or not, to Hurt Me-era Thunders. As someone who often finds himself a good deal funnier and more charming than others seem to, I feel like I can really relate to where Dick's coming from with this one. Even if the quips aren't good, some body's gotta laugh at 'em. You know that well intentioned, vaguely-creepy yet awesome older dude who schooled you on everything from Canterbury Prog. to the books Tarkovsky adapted his story-lines from when you were like 19, but when you heard the music he was working on it was just kinda corny and tedious? This is like if it were really good instead.

http://www.ptmiic.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Review from Still Single:

Interesting, strange rock project from someone in New York who seems to want to remain anonymous, though from the looks of the credits on this LP, has aligned himself with noise artist Mattin, and members of the bands Talibam!, Ultrabunny, Pop. 1280, and Chinese Restaurants (he’s their drummer, it seems) – mixed company for sure, though they are effective in helping him get these messages across. Sounds of inner city emotional turmoil are put forth by a guy whose voice sounds like a towel full of human tears being wrung out, sort of a Scott Walker style croon at first that soon devolves into a nerve-wracked, affected night on the town of carousing, which in turn devolves into serious drinking and what some people would call “sin.” Would say that it has a downtown quality to it, only who lives down there anymore? I picture a dress shirt with a banded collar on whoever Rick may be, and his screeds and tales of people doing wrong and alienation are met with some decent musical ideas, mostly ranging from an art-rock perspective (think Pere Ubu, maybe), of an era gone by. There’s an alignment of sorts with the works of Michael Gira, and these songs turn out to be an exorcism of sorts, even as the sentiments in them turn sour (not sure why he had to yell “faggot” at one point, but I’m sure there’s a lot of explanation to endure on that note). I picked out clear references to Joy Division and less-clear ones to Mighty Baby, so whoever this is has good taste. Not something to reach for every day, but if the subway breaks down, and the sketchy guy in your neighborhood with the clipboard makes a move for your wallet, you might find yourself on the ledge with Mr. P. over here.

http://still-single.tumblr.com/

• 1 month later...