Play This Record

Dude wow. I'm just now seeing this and goddamn, this site is so crisp and well designed! I just switched to CheckMyVinyl but if there was a collection archival site with a layout just like this (or others could register and create lists/etc) I would immediately be onboard. I love sites with clean, minimal design and font selection like this. It looks damn good.

Also, the pictures (especially those translucent ones, WHOA) are so nice! A+ stuff.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much! I'm really glad when people check it out and love it. I feel the exact same way about my lists. Things need to be very precise and very organized and very clean. Unfortunately, for right now, there's not a way to make this public. The tradelist function of the site is done entirely by hand. If you right click and view source, you'll see that every single record is a .png file. All done by me, with a great deal of help from DerekH, as he built the .psd file and action I use to create the lists. But I'm glad the photography is eye catching as well. I'm really trying to step it up and make something that visually stunning and compelling to look at. Record fans deserve it. Thanks for checking out my site :)

How did I miss this thread for so long?

Just like everyone else has said, the site turned out great. The list looks excellent in itself, but I'd have to say that the written entries and quality photos take the cake. Especially when they elaborate on the significance of the album, press, or background info that everyone else may not be aware of.

Well done.

Thanks guys! Glad you're digging it. Everyone checking out PlayThisRecord really means a ton to me.

Today I'm giving away this copy of Well Worn, the split 12" from Caravels and Gifts From Enola

[image]

Enter here: http://www.playthisrecord.com/blog/contest-win-a-copy-of-caravels-gifts-from-enola-well-worn/

I dislike how all contests these days use social media, because I don't have any social media profiles. I completely understand why it's done, just hate to not be able to participate in certain contests.

This looks great. Did you write something so you can update it easily or do you hand make every png file for the list?

Hand made with love and carpal tunnel!

EDIT: I should say the the .png file exists as a skeleton .psd file. But I enter everything by hand, do all of the little color icons by hand, etc. But the crazy splatters and hazes are kinda fun. There's some interesting ones in there for sure.

Thanks guys! Glad you're digging it. Everyone checking out PlayThisRecord really means a ton to me.

Today I'm giving away this copy of Well Worn, the split 12" from Caravels and Gifts From Enola

[image]

Enter here: http://www.playthisrecord.com/blog/contest-win-a-copy-of-caravels-gifts-from-enola-well-worn/

I'm picking a winner for this tomorrow when I wake up. There's still time left to enter if you want. Another contest with different methods of entering will be announced shortly after.

What do you use to light your photos? I've been using natural light as much as possible and it works, but the colors are never just right. I've also been scanning my 7" and I find that gets the best color, but it wont fit my 12". I'm considering building a light box to photograph my 12" so I can get the best colors.