I just heard Fake Problems on a Taco Bell commerci

It's just a sad commentary on the state of things that suddenly having your songs in a commercial is considered just as legitimate a way as any for a band to make money. And where does your comfort level with that kind of paid-for endorsement end? Just with products you don't find objectionable? What if it's a commercial for Schwanson Brand Seal Clubs? What if it's a song being used in an endorsement for Rick Santorum?

What I think is totally ridiculous is how many of those same people would be the first to shit all over a band if they were to, say, have a reunion tour, with expensive tickets and 15 shirt designs and deluxe rereleases of their records. Because cashing in on your own legacy is considered selling out. But using your music to sell shitty ass fast food is just good business.

What a race to the bottom.

Fake Problems actually won that "Feed The Beat" contest that Taco Bells hosts one year, which got them hundreds and hundreds of dollars in gift cards to Taco Bell. It's a fair assumption that Fake Problems frequently eats Taco Bell and probably likes it. Why is it so bad if their song is used as background music in a commercial for a product they eat and like?

I'd be way more offended if they wrote a brand new song as a jingle or something. I love Andrew W.K. to death, but it always bothered me that he re-wrote the Kit-Kat jingle in his style for a commercial.

stop making me want Taco Bell, dammit.

i liked Fake Problems on records, and then i saw them and the people making the music and i don't know if i really liked them the same afterwards. it was a weird night.

you have to think though, most bands sign a record deal and release their album. the label is the entity licensing their songs out to tv shows and commercials and wherever else. they're most likely the only one benefiting from the deal, not the band.

It's just a sad commentary on the state of things that suddenly having your songs in a commercial is considered just as legitimate a way as any for a band to make money. And where does your comfort level with that kind of paid-for endorsement end? Just with products you don't find objectionable? What if it's a commercial for Schwanson Brand Seal Clubs? What if it's a song being used in an endorsement for Rick Santorum?

What I think is totally ridiculous is how many of those same people would be the first to shit all over a band if they were to, say, have a reunion tour, with expensive tickets and 15 shirt designs and deluxe rereleases of their records. Because cashing in on your own legacy is considered selling out. But using your music to sell shitty ass fast food is just good business.

What a race to the bottom.

Fake Problems actually won that "Feed The Beat" contest that Taco Bells hosts one year, which got them hundreds and hundreds of dollars in gift cards to Taco Bell. It's a fair assumption that Fake Problems frequently eats Taco Bell and probably likes it. Why is it so bad if their song is used as background music in a commercial for a product they eat and like?

Oh, it's not. But if they reserve the right to associate with a brand they like, then I reserve the right for it to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Does that seem fair?

Oh, it's not. But if they reserve the right to associate with a brand they like, then I reserve the right for it to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Does that seem fair?

Nah, not really. Who made you the culture judge?

How long have I been posting here, and you just now figured that out?

But seriously. I'd love to have a real smart-guy conversation about this - I'll readily admit the inconsistencies in my own thinking if anybody else will - but I'm too tired at the moment.

And if getting paid legitimizes your culture commentary, well, then, I guess that goes a great length toward explaining your views on this topic, too :)