What are some cool/unique records?

I was thinking about the LTJ - Slayer record and how it plays from the inside out and it got me thinking about some unique records, I just don't know of very many of them.

So what are some cool or unique things bands/labels have done to make their records a little different. Lock grooves, double grooved, Tripledecker, the liquid filled one etc. I'd love to see some examples

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of the thirdman one, it's the triple decker I listed in the first post :)

Feel free to post the video though, that record is waaaaay awesome.

Wasnt there a Benny hill record or something that was labeled the 3 sided record? One side had two sets of grooves on it or something

There was a Locust box set of 7"s that were puzzle shaped and fit together.

The White Flag - Feeding Frenzy LP is a 3 sided record. One side has two separate sets of grooves than run in parallel to each other so depending on where you set the needle down at the beginning of the record dictated which side you were playing.

The Damned - Play it at Your Little Sister 7" had a CD fastened to it where the label should be.

I know of the thirdman one, it's the triple decker I listed in the first post :)

Feel free to post the video though, that record is waaaaay awesome.

Wasnt there a Benny hill record or something that was labeled the 3 sided record? One side had two sets of grooves on it or something

one of the third man records 7" from the green series has two sets od grooves on the b side. Its the one with the auctioneer, the b side has two different sets of auctions depending which groove it catchs onto first. I have it, pretty cool if you add me.

My label is putting out a record next month that plays from the center to the outside

A few tracks and details about the release are here http://www.lightsresolve.com/site/store/

Can't recall which record, but there is one that has ashes of a burned Bible in it.

that was hellmouth - gravestone skylines, ive got that one! love it!

the liquid filled one was a prototype from the 80s or something that was posted here a few weeks back. apparently it had problems leaking and what not, ill see if i can find the thread for it.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':ckgvag71]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':ckgvag71]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

There's that weird Dillinger Escape Plan 7" what has a few locked grooves and I think parallel grooves also.

Andrew Jackson Jihad/Mischief Brew released an 8" with two songs per band, one acoustic one electric. The grooves are parallel on both sides, so depending on where the needle falls you'll get the electric or acoustic one. And they're lined up so if it skips it skips over to the other version at the same point in the song (or so they claim)

Other gimmicky ones that come to mind:

-HORSE The Band's Pizza 10-inch that came in a custom pizza box

-Less Than Jake's myriad shaped 7-inches (cheese, birthday cake, etc.)

-Andrew W.K.'s "I'm A Vagabond" square 7-inch

-All of those Me First And The Gimme Gimmes square 7-inches

-Third Man Records did a bunch of 8-inch and 13-inch records at SXSW the other year

-No Idea Records has done plenty of wacky record sizes/packages

Guest deathbydrums

The Locust / Arab On Radar - 4 different colour "puddle shape" records meant to look like body fluids: pee, poop, vomit and I'm guessing the white one is supposed to resemble semen.

Also there are a tonne of records cut into circular saw blade shapes and a few lathe-cut mirror disks.

Lastly, a bunch of info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

... the subtitle "unusual holes" made me laugh.

Whoa those are sweet. How much do those go for now a days.

Too damn much. I have 3 of them and really want to complete the set but "All Good Junkies..." rarely pops up anywhere and when it does it gets up there. Last one I watched on eBay went for $91. I got Stars as a gift so I'm not sure how much that one ran, and I paid about 40 a piece for Natural Born Farmer and Jesus Glue.