Can You Report a Store to The RSD People?

I was looking for Walk Among Us by Misfits and the guy at the store I called said they have them for $45... The website was selling Coldplay for $20 and the arctic monkeys for $30. Can that be reported to someone so they dont get RSD stuff anymore for being rip offs? Its a store. I would assume they have to honor the suggested retail values as part of the rules. Misfits was $17, Coldplay and arctic monkeys were $10 at another store. Too bad they sold out though.

Just so you know MSRP stands for Manufacturer's suggested retail price not Maximum suggested retail price.

I think they can pretty much charge what they like

yeah, but i think the point here is that theyre actively sullying the name of record store day.* the people who run rsd could very well get in the way of this.

*i realize that this probably sounds retarded since half of rsd ends up on ebay anyway.

you can report stores all you want but nothing will happen. the same shit has been going on since RSD started and has gotten worse every year. the RSD people say they are aware of what's going on but either don't or can't do anything to change or stop things. plus they brush off the handful of stores breaking the rules as it's not a big deal because it's only a small percentage of the hundreds of particpating stores that do obey the rules. SRC was "banned" following last year but still got RSD releases this year. they also hide behind the fact that RSD is run by volunteers, so what's their motivation to care.

Thanks for the emails. I'll send an email to Eric since that mike guy seems to already have seen the thread. The record store in talking about is Mass Effect/Revolution in Santa Ana, California. It's listed as two stores on the RSD site but it's combined now I guess. I wonder if they do two stores to get more items when ordering. It's just kinda messed up to start prices at eBay prices in a store. I talked to a few different record stores and they all say there are rules they are told to follow. Like not gouging the prices and not selling doubles to one person.

Thanks for the emails. I'll send an email to Eric since that mike guy seems to already have seen the thread. The record store in talking about is Mass Effect/Revolution in Santa Ana, California. It's listed as two stores on the RSD site but it's combined now I guess. I wonder if they do two stores to get more items when ordering. It's just kinda messed up to start prices at eBay prices in a store. I talked to a few different record stores and they all say there are rules they are told to follow. Like not gouging the prices and not selling doubles to one person.

Collectivemike was joking, send an email to both of them.

This is stupid. Record Stores are suffering, I'd rather pay the extra $8 to a local store I love than an extra $50 to an eBay flipper. If the store always marks shit up and there's a better option in town, chances are they won't be around much longer anyway. Stores can sell stuff for whatever they want. If its too much, don't buy it and don't shop there. But trying to "report them" is just ridiculous. As much as I'd like to believe Record Store Day is just around to help record stores, they're not exactly a non profit organization. They're going to send stuff where it sells. $$$$$€€€€€££££££

RSD is not to make record stores money, it's to drive traffic to record stores. If you only go on RSD to buy RSD only releases, you suck.

Well if I see that prices are ridiculous for RSD stuff at a store that's definitely not gonna make me wanna go there ever. Regardless of the day.

It kind of sucks that they mark up the prices but take a glance at the disclaimer in the about section of recordstoreday.com it pretty much says stores have complete control of their stock.

There was one store listed on their site as participating in my area that I don't believe has an actual physical storefront anymore but they do still sell stuff online. I am gonna go check out the 2 addresses I found for them and see if they actually have a store anymore. I've been calling the phone numbers they have listed for the last few days and get nothing but a busy signal.

As you know most stores have a standard markup and then add a bit to cover shipping costs. But something to consider is that it's not easy for stores to get RSD titles, as some of them don't show up at distributors until mere days before RSD. So the stores end up having to pay more for shipping because they have to get the records quicker. The store i used to work for here in Vancouver ran into this trouble and i know that other stores here in Canada have this problem. It's the reason why alot of the 7"s cost $8-10.

This is stupid. Record Stores are suffering, I'd rather pay the extra $8 to a local store I love than an extra $50 to an eBay flipper. If the store always marks shit up and there's a better option in town, chances are they won't be around much longer anyway. Stores can sell stuff for whatever they want. If its too much, don't buy it and don't shop there. But trying to "report them" is just ridiculous. As much as I'd like to believe Record Store Day is just around to help record stores, they're not exactly a non profit organization. They're going to send stuff where it sells. $$$$$€€€€€££££££

Yeah but I heard a store that was selling an $80 MSRP Phish RSD release for $270. There should be punishment for that kind of insane markup.

RSD is not to make record stores money, it's to drive traffic to record stores. If you only go on RSD to buy RSD only releases, you suck.

At my store, theres a barricaded line that goes straight to the checkout counter. You couldnt pick through the whole store even if you wanted to. Since the line goes out the door, even if you went back to the end of the line with some regular vinyl, you would be arrested for shoplifting. Im pretty sure there are a lot of similar setups at record stores located in the bigger US cities.

As you know most stores have a standard markup and then add a bit to cover shipping costs. But something to consider is that it's not easy for stores to get RSD titles, as some of them don't show up at distributors until mere days before RSD. So the stores end up having to pay more for shipping because they have to get the records quicker. The store i used to work for here in Vancouver ran into this trouble and i know that other stores here in Canada have this problem. It's the reason why alot of the 7"s cost $8-10.

I'm cool with a $10 7". But $30 for the arctic monkeys 7"... That's just wrong for a store to do. The store that had all the mastodon 7"s by me was charging $10 each, I told them that a bunch of people on here were looking for them. The next day I went to pick up some records I had them hold and the price was all of a sudden $21. That's kinda messed up too. That's an LP price.

I'm cool with a $10 7". But $30 for the arctic monkeys 7"... That's just wrong for a store to do. The store that had all the mastodon 7"s by me was charging $10 each, I told them that a bunch of people on here were looking for them. The next day I went to pick up some records I had them hold and the price was all of a sudden $21. That's kinda messed up too. That's an LP price.

It wasn't Bionic Records was it? I just ask because they said that they would maybe sell me one of the Mastodon 7"s through the mail if they got the time.