Cleaning Your Records

I have one record that I've cleaned multiple times but when I play it, my stylus slowly but surely picks up greasy gunk that by the end of the side, distorts the sound.  It's different than the typical dust that gets picked up.  It's greasy and sticky.

At first I thought it was my cleaning solution leaving residue, but I have other records I clean with the same solution that don't do that.  I also thought maybe my tracking force was too high and I was damaging the record, but once again, it only happens on this one record.

What should I do to clean it?  I don't currently have a vacuum system.

I have one record that I've cleaned multiple times but when I play it, my stylus slowly but surely picks up greasy gunk that by the end of the side, distorts the sound.  It's different than the typical dust that gets picked up.  It's greasy and sticky.

At first I thought it was my cleaning solution leaving residue, but I have other records I clean with the same solution that don't do that.  I also thought maybe my tracking force was too high and I was damaging the record, but once again, it only happens on this one record.

What should I do to clean it?  I don't currently have a vacuum system.

Titebond II

Nope. Besides shenanigans (who can be more of an expert on this subject), as an expert on this topic, you are wrong.

Correct, nothing fixes worn grooves.

Incorrect, cleaning is not overrated. Pressing plates have anti-fungals sprayed on them, which can then be transferred to the record. All new records should be cleaned.

Incorrect, Dawn is not as good as anything. It contains a multitude of different chemicals that do not need to be on your stylus.

TAKE HOME MESSAGE: Cleaning records isn't for your record's health, its for the health of your stylus.

Nope. Besides shenanigans (who can be more of an expert on this subject), as an expert on this topic, you are wrong.

Correct, nothing fixes worn grooves.

Incorrect, cleaning is not overrated. Pressing plates have anti-fungals sprayed on them, which can then be transferred to the record. All new records should be cleaned.

Incorrect, Dawn is not as good as anything. It contains a multitude of different chemicals that do not need to be on your stylus.

TAKE HOME MESSAGE: Cleaning records isn't for your record's health, its for the health of your stylus.

Dawn plus rinse with distilled...all gone.  BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the stylus is made of diamond...pretty tough and unreactive.  

I know, I know, record collectors/audiophiles need their comfort zones.  How many stylii has anyone actually worn out?

Dawn plus rinse with distilled...all gone.  BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the stylus is made of diamond...pretty tough and unreactive.  

I know, I know, record collectors/audiophiles need their comfort zones.  How many stylii has anyone actually worn out?

I've worked in molecular labs for over 12 years, with extensive chemistry and molecular biology courses during my BSc, MS, and PhD. It has nothing to do with my audio related comforts, it has to do with my scientific knowledge.

Cleaning is over-rated. No amount of cleaning fixes worn grooves.

If you don't want worn out grooves

1) Buy a better record player

2) Keeping your equipment and your records cleaner will help stop your hard as nails diamond grinding more pizza crumbs into the grooves.

3) One of the unwanted side effects of a worn out stylus apart from it sounding like utter shite is that it will wear out your precious grooves faster than a rat up an aqueduct.

4) listen to the nice man with the Schoolin he knows his Onions

seriously though.  if the earth was around, all the people on the "bottom" would just fall off. 

that's science. day one.

No they don't fall off they just get nosebleeds all the time because the blood rushes to their heads.

Don't go there though because there be dragons there, that and the water goes down the plughole the wrong way round