Cleaning Your Records

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to use my record doctor V that I got a few weeks ago and holy shit this thing is awesome. It makes some of my older records that I was using an old disc washer on look pristine by comparison. My buddy also owns the spin clean and I used it on a couple of albums and was not impressed. With the V, There is also big sonic improvement as well in removing a lot of clicks/pops from those older albums. I know there are much better RCM solutions out there, but I doubt there is one for $200. Recommended!

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to use my record doctor V that I got a few weeks ago and holy shit this thing is awesome. It makes some of my older records that I was using an old disc washer on look pristine by comparison. My buddy also owns the spin clean and I used it on a couple of albums and was not impressed. With the V, There is also big sonic improvement as well in removing a lot of clicks/pops from those older albums. I know there are much better RCM solutions out there, but I doubt there is one for $200. Recommended!

Woops posted too soon, just saw this.  Going to look into it!!

• 6 months later...

Read through the thread trying to find some new cleaning solution ideas and also some feedback on one's that I had seen mentioned but weren't really discussed.

Allenh, I noticed you mentioned L'Art Du Son solution. I had been consideringit and it sounds great but I read some people say you need to do an extra rinse with distilled water. Do you do this?

Dreamover, what did you think of that Mint stuff? I'm most likely just going to order a sample and see for myself but was curious on your thoughts .

The Right One - Vinyl Record Cleaning Fluid | eBay

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271742119914?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-53481-19255-0%2F1%3Ftype%3D4%26campId%3D5337013156%26toolId%3D10001%26customId%3Dibllxtz9f70027jz00003%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fitm%252FThe-Right-One-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Fluid-%252F271742119914%26srcrot%3D710-53481-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D859498259616&_mwBanner=1

Sorry about the long link but anyone ever heard of that stuff? I've read around and it seems to get praise.

Non Professional here but I think they are both even in performance (i don't have experience with the kab) but I think what it boils down to is which you see as being more convenient (built in motor vs. Supplying your own via vacuu) I personally find the buuilt in more convenient.

Non Professional here but I think they are both even in performance (i don't have experience with the kab) but I think what it boils down to is which you see as being more convenient (built in motor vs. Supplying your own via vacuu) I personally find the buuilt in more convenient.

For me yes built in vacuum every time. Record on, spin record, apply fluid, wait, vacuum off. At no time do I get an ear bashing for stealing the vacuum cleaner in this process or have to go and retrieve it from the shouty lady doing the cleaning when I want to wash a record.

• 3 months later...

Going to look at a used VPI this weekend. I know nothing about these machines – is there anything I should be wary of or pay particular attention to? The seller has agreed to demonstrate it, so I've got that going for me.

They're pretty bullet-proof.  They do 2 things:  

1) Spin 

2) Suck

As long as it does those two things, you're in good shape.  You will notice that it's noisey even when the vacuum isn't on.  that's normal. 

Only other thing you might want to look for is to make sure that the cleaning head is in reasonable shape.  You can get replacements, but they're like $70.

I'm at first steps in wet cleaning and one thing comes to my mind:

Do I have to avoid the solution reach the labels? Can the cleaning solution or the distilled water ruin them?

I read/saw some people just dry the labels after the cleaning without worrying, some others recommend to not spill liquids on them.

Do I have to avoid the solution reach the labels? Can the cleaning solution or the distilled water ruin them?

I read/saw some people just dry the labels after the cleaning without worrying, some others recommend to not spill liquids on them.

The label is paper so any liquid on it won't be good long term

They're pretty bullet-proof.  They do 2 things:  

1) Spin 

2) Suck

As long as it does those two things, you're in good shape.  You will notice that it's noisey even when the vacuum isn't on.  that's normal. 

Only other thing you might want to look for is to make sure that the cleaning head is in reasonable shape.  You can get replacements, but they're like $70.

Awesome. Thanks for the intel.

I've washed loads of records in the sink and gotten water on all of the labels, never once have I had one ruined. I think as long as you don't try to scrub a wet label you should be fine. Make sure it's totally dry before you sleeve it.

What do you guys think about this? Anyone has experience with that?

http://protected.de/de/geschenkideen1/schallplattenreinigungsgeraet-knosti

It seems like a cheaper alternative to the Spin Clean but it has that label saver which is pretty interesting for me.

It's the European equivalent of the spin clean or the other way round I think as I'm pretty certain the Discostat was around first.

Yes it will do a job but like all of these it's no match for a vacuum clean

I really hope this is a joke.

Totally not joking. I have a spin clean but there have been plenty of times when I pick up a used record and just want to give it a quick clean without having to get my spin clean out. I have a spray bottle of Phoenix solution and a Mofi brush, rinse under the sink and dry with some microfiber cloths, done in 2 minutes tops plus some extra time air drying. I've been collecting for a long time and none of my records has suffered negatively from this treatment, records are pretty tough. If they need a deeper cleaning I wait until I have a bunch to do and Spin Clean them all in a batch.

It's the European equivalent of the spin clean or the other way round I think as I'm pretty certain the Discostat was around first.

Yes it will do a job but like all of these it's no match for a vacuum clean

My plan would be to do the cleaning process in 2 steps. The first one with the machine, the second using a self made vacuum adaptor.