Cataloging Variants?

There are a handful of records that I own multiple variants of. I do not listen to all of my variants. I know that's a tough pill for some of you to swallow, and if that offends anyone, then I apologize profusely. (But not really.) So without lynching me; does anyone have a method of cataloging their variants? Colored stickers on the outside of the sleeve? That seems practical to me, but I doubt I could encompass all of the crazy colorways with them. I'm considering writing the pressing info (variant, label, etc.) onto mini-index cards and dropping them into the back pocket of the sleeve. But I was wondering if anyone had a more convenient or snazzy approach.

It's quite possible that I'm being OCD and shouldn't care as much as I do. That's a reality I'm willing to face, but I figured I'd ask.

never even considered it, but stickers on the sleeve sounds like an awesome idea.

thats how my emery - weak's end records came, and i appreciated the hell out of it.

I'm a loser and I put my variants in the chronological order in which I accumulated them from left to right on the shelf. The real loser aspect is that I tend to remember what order I accumulated the color in question and so I know which record to pull if I'm looking for a specific color.

That said, I've been thinking more and more about liquidating some variants that I hold dear due to the inherent superfluousness of having variants.

That said, I've been thinking more and more about liquidating some variants that I hold dear due to the inherent superfluousness of having variants.

ive been lightly wrestling the idea of selling my devil&god collection lately

1. its superfluous

2. i could REALLY use the money

3. its just barely incomplete

Same boat, McPherson. I started this topic because - as of this afternoon - I decided that it's ridiculous to be using up shelf space for more than one copy of an album. I'm planning on keeping the single copy of a record that I play on the shelf, and boxing the variants away for keepsake (read: until I decide to sell them off, when and if I do). As such, it'd be nice to not have to re-leaf and pull out three copies of the same record when searching for the specific color I'd like to part with.

ive been lightly wrestling the idea of selling my devil&god collection lately

1. its superfluous

2. i could REALLY use the money

3. its just barely incomplete

I did it not too long ago. I only needed three more but it got so damn expensive. It's worth it when you see all that money come in. The hard part is deciding which one to hang on to

do i keep black because its the rarest? orange and black because its incredible? red because i should keep a copy of the triplecrown pressing too? blue and whites still pretty dope...

exactly.

do i keep black because its the rarest? orange and black because its incredible? red because i should keep a copy of the triplecrown pressing too? blue and whites still pretty dope...

exactly.

Yeah, no idea how I decided. Somehow got more attached to red than the others so I kept it. It was between that and white because it was the first one I got

Like this...I just grabbed four from the shelf...

DSCN3116.jpg

Same here. I write the color and the pressing # on my stickers. I then categorize, beginning at the left, the rarest variant and move to the right until variants are complete.

If a pressing has four color ways with say 500 of each, I then alphabetize by color. Makes it more organized for me and easier to keep track of.

exactly.

I've got a few variants bc this is my favorite album, but I never had the desire to have a full variant collection. If I sell any off, I can definitely whittle it down to 3, maybe 2 copies. top picks are blue/black, orange/black, and the white bc I love the lyric sheet insert from the triple crown press.