Taking a trip to Chicago! Suggestions anyone?

Yeah so I'm headed to Chicago with my wife later this month for the first time! Gonna be housesitting at my cousin's in Evanston, IL but she said she lives near the train to get me into the city. Any suggestions as to good record shops, places to eat, best way to see a Cubs game for "cheap." Any and all help is appreciated!

If you wanna see a cubs game just head to the stadium two hours early and ask white people if they have extra tickets. They are more than likely trying to ditch unused ones rather than scalp for profit. Once you get your tickets head to one of the bars right by and grab some beers before you head into the game. Since they aren't doing so hot this should work well. If you are going to a cubs game see who is playing at the metro that night and you can catch a game and concert back to back. The venue is a block away. There are record stores/bars/resturants in Evanston that would be easy to find since it is much smaller than Chicago. Evanston does have Northwestern University and well off white people so there is a bunch to do.

Yeah so I'm headed to Chicago with my wife later this month for the first time! Gonna be housesitting at my cousin's in Evanston, IL but she said she lives near the train to get me into the city. Any suggestions as to good record shops, places to eat, best way to see a Cubs game for "cheap." Any and all help is appreciated!

Theres a really good record shop called Second Hand Tunes in Evanston just west of the Dempster purple line. Its where I go for RSD every year, since everything in Chicago city limits is totally packed.

There's an awesome Thai/Japanese fusion wine and sushi bar in Roger's Park called "Indie". They have great food, and its BYOB. Its on Sheridan between the Thorndale and Granville Red line stops.

I'd stay away from anything downtown, and take a trip to Logan Square and Wicker Park, there's always decent stuff to do down there.

If you want more, PM me and I can help you out!

Theres a really good record shop called Second Hand Tunes in Evanston just west of the Dempster purple line. Its where I go for RSD every year, since everything in Chicago city limits is totally packed.

There's an awesome Thai/Japanese fusion wine and sushi bar in Roger's Park called "Indie". They have great food, and its BYOB. Its on Sheridan between the Thorndale and Granville Red line stops.

I'd stay away from anything downtown, and take a trip to Logan Square and Wicker Park, there's always decent stuff to do down there.

If you want more, PM me and I can help you out!

I will dispute the neighborhood name, though. That seems too far south to be Rogers Park. Sounds more like Edgewater (where I am).

Seconded on staying away from downtown. The "Magnificent Mile" is a crock unless you like overpriced crap you don't need. Or the Apple Store. But you can go to the one at North and Clybourn for that.

Second Hand Tunes is good, yes.

Indie is in Edgewater, its on Broadway near the Thorndale stop off the red line. I used to at Hood and Broadway.

Stay away from going to a Cubs game, it's an unbelievable display of douchebaggery. Take the extra time and go to a White Sox game, even if it's even further on the other side of town. Better stadium, better food, better fans, better team.

^ Oh snap! Maybe I should just do a stadium tour? I gotta see Wrigley though even though I'm not a Cubs fan at all. No offense to the Sox maybe I'll get there too!

Also I've been checking out what Deep Dish Pizza place to eat at. I'm thinking Burt's Place or Pequod's. Even though I saw the Meaty Legend at Geno's East on Man v. Food that crust looks like a Bisquick shortbread science experiment.

One other thing is swimming in the Lake Michigan a good or bad thing? Lived in NYC area all my life and the last time I swam in the water in the city limits was at Rockaway Beach and I was 10. I wouldn't go into the water at Coney Island if you paid me. Is it like that there too or are there good spots to swim?

Head north if you wanna swim in Lake Michigan.

I don't know I went to the beach in milwaukee last year and there was like a million little dead fish on the beach. I really hope it was temporary, but I haven't been back as a result. Although I do like the paths a little ways off the beach. So I'll say go up and down the lake, but no need to get real close and I personally wouldn't swim.

I actually got back from visiting my friend in Chicago and I had a great time. Check out Big Star. I thought they had fantastic tacos, although it seems some people on Yelp and whatnot have had worse experiences than I did. If you're going to be traveling a lot within the city, you can get a 3-day CTA pass from Wallgreens or any drug store for $15 and it gives you unlimited train and bus rides. We went to a White Sox game and it's a nice stadium and was fun (even though they beat my Indians). We went to Logan's Hardware which has a decent selection of records, but they have an arcade in the back with unlimited free play as long as you buy something. Check out the beach too

EDIT: Check out a place called the Boiler Room. I enjoyed their pizza and they have an every day special of a slice, PBR and a shot of Jameson for $7

Kriss actually wrote a whole pizza-centric zine that includes a piece where he played restaurant critic to three places around town: Ian's (wrigleyville in Lakeview), Mista (Boystown, east of Wrigleyville, in Lakeview) and Pie Hole (again, in LAkeview, but south of Boystown).

So that's an idea. All rated very well.

Or just check out the zine if you haven't already: http://notesandbolts.storenvy.com/products/271782-notes-bolts-issue-2

I went to Chicago in March or something like that. It was a good time. Best food I had was at a restaurant called Bad Apple. The burgers and sandwiches were scrumptious, and they had the best beer selection for a full service restaurant that I've ever seen. Better than more bars I've been to.

The zoo was kind of a bummer. It was alright, but it seemed pretty outdated, and the animals seemed even sadder and lonelier than zoo animals usually seem. I wish I'd gone to the aquarium. The Art Institute was pretty awesome, but it's so massive that it's not doable in a day. I'd recommend just spending time in the areas that you have the most interest in. I kind of tried to give every area a good shake, and after 6 hours I realized I had only gone through 1/3 of the museum. The Bean was pretty stupid, but I don't really care about that kind of stuff. I can't even remember what else I did. Unfortunately I only got to spend 2 and a half days there, but I really enjoyed just taking in the city and riding around on the trains and whatnot.

I went to Chicago in March or something like that. It was a good time. Best food I had was at a restaurant called Bad Apple. The burgers and sandwiches were scrumptious, and they had the best beer selection for a full service restaurant that I've ever seen. Better than more bars I've been to.

The zoo was kind of a bummer. It was alright, but it seemed pretty outdated, and the animals seemed even sadder and lonelier than zoo animals usually seem. I wish I'd gone to the aquarium. The Art Institute was pretty awesome, but it's so massive that it's not doable in a day. I'd recommend just spending time in the areas that you have the most interest in. I kind of tried to give every area a good shake, and after 6 hours I realized I had only gone through 1/3 of the museum. The Bean was pretty stupid, but I don't really care about that kind of stuff. I can't even remember what else I did. Unfortunately I only got to spend 2 and a half days there, but I really enjoyed just taking in the city and riding around on the trains and whatnot.

lincoln park zoo blows cuz it is free, brookfield is better but not free

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for Chicago being awesome.

Also any help getting reasonbly priced tickets for Saturday or Sundays Cubs games and you'd be my hero! Pm me if you got extra tickets, help, or advice. I gotta see a game there and today was a shitshow with the Ron Santo Hall Of Fame ceremony.