PO: Murder by Death - Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon.

Rolling Stone has a new song from the album. Can't say I'm a fan, but if memory serves I think Foxglove was the first single from the last album, which I was equally unimpressed with and I ended up enjoying the album quite a bit.

http://www.rollingst...ee-mp3-20120912

Objectively I can appreciate the quality and the fact that it has a little more nuance and complexity than some previous efforts. It just isn't my sound.

Ah for some reason I thought you were the one getting the test of the new album. Must be someone else here. Yeah looks amazing. :)

That would be this guy. Can't tell you how excited I am to get this. I was even more pumped to find out about the special covers. I'm going to treat this thing like a child.

You know you can still get the special variant through their shop?

If not, so you can still get the special variant through their ship.

...what?

Last I checked, you could get the special edition vinyl, the whiskey crew bundle, and the book club in the shop, but that might be gone now.

Thoughts from those who've heard the stream? I'll give it some more time, but through around 5 listens I'd feel pretty confident saying I'm disappointed. Which is a little strange to say, I've always felt they could do no wrong, but here we are.

I could go into more detail, and would if anyone cared, but they built on all of the parts of Magpie I didn't like. Upbeat, major-chord numbers which are the antithesis of the sound that original got me into them way back when.

I'll give them credit for getting a little more creative with their songwriting. This album sounds a lot more dynamic then previous offerings. They've certainly matured as a band, but it just ain't working for this guy.

Pretty excited to get this today. I know I shouldn't be complaining at all, but I am slightly disappointed I didn't get any special art work with my test press. I thought we were all going to get something. I just got a blank cover with the cut outs for the deluxe version of the album. I guess I can take it to the next show I go to and have them all sign it, but I was hoping for a fancy cover like it looks like for some of the other albums. Oh well. Still pumped! Currently listening to it now!

710ed2752538afcf52c7.jpg

Pretty excited to get this today. I know I shouldn't be complaining at all, but I am slightly disappointed I didn't get any special art work with my test press. I thought we were all going to get something. I just got a blank cover with the cut outs for the deluxe version of the album. I guess I can take it to the next show I go to and have them all sign it, but I was hoping for a fancy cover like it looks like for some of the other albums. Oh well. Still pumped! Currently listening to it now!

710ed2752538afcf52c7.jpg

Did you get a test of Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon? Maybe they're shipping the covers out after they finish them all?

Did you get a test of Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon? Maybe they're shipping the covers out after they finish them all?

Yeah I got Bitter, Drink. I didn't think about that but you could be right. Maybe it'll ship around the time the posters do. Who knows. It's all good either way.

I agree with the post above. First couple times through I'm not blown away. A few stand out songs (I like Ramblin' and Go To The Light) but then again every one of their albums has always taken me several listens before it truly hits me.