MAN ADVICE

I'm not even sure I can name my wife's favorite band.

Because it doesn't really fucking matter.

I feel like we had the music conversation in here before didn't we? and most of you guys said it didn’t matter, and that you preferred someone who had different tastes. but I always REALLY wanted someone who liked the same music as me. because odds are if they’re into that, we’d probably have the same views on other important things in life. I just wanted someone who was very open-minded and accepting.

but anyways, I guess it doesn’t really doesn't matter, whatever makes you all happy. bigbruise is now my best friend and I’m absolutely crazy about him thanks to records, music, and this weird message board.

okay I’m done being sappy.

ugh... All my plans on going up there tomorrow are falling apart... I was supposed to take my moms car with a uhaul but it's not out of the shop yet.  For some reason she insists that it gets done tomorrow.  She wants to do it before her mom goes back to Germany this weekend.  I just don't see how it's going to be possible...

I will chime in on the "music not really mattering" bit as well. I feel like there is less competition between one another when you have different tastes. I don't know, that's the way I feel at least.

elaborate on this competition thing

I'm sure there is some correlation between musical tastes and personality, such as Ke$ha fans tending to be stupid (excluding Hipster) and Brion Riborn fans tending to like poetry. Point being is that it probably isn't a great indicator of compatibility. 

Then again, I could be the statistical outlier, for all I know it could be the best way to match people up. What I do know is I stand by my opinion masquerading as fact on the previous page because this is the internet and thats how it works. 

I've had good relationships with dudes that have the same taste in music and with those that listen to completely different stuff. Just depends. But I feel like with those that have similar taste in music, it's more fun because you're stoked on going to shows together, listening to records, and singing along to all the jams while driving.

and I think suchashorttime was trying to swoon me with Kinsella related talk~

elaborate on this competition thing

Well with my ex girlfriend, it kinda always seemed like a competition to know about other bands that the one hasn't herard of or vice versa. Like trying to one-up each other on who knew who first, etc. We had great compatibility with each other from a pop culture stand point, but she sucked and I ended up realizing that she is a horrible person. Haha

I find it's not so much about taste, but about just loving music.  What I can't figure out - for the life of me - is how someone can just be completely indifferent toward music.  It blows my mind.  What also blows my mind - albeit to a far less extent - is how some people have no idea there's music beyond that on top 40 radio stations.

I think I just want a chick that's passionate about music, period.  Give me a good reason to like your crappy dubstep DJ or Beyonce, and I'll give it a shot... then I'll give you 10 reasons why The Weakerthans' discography is the only one you would need if you were marooned on a desert island.  This is obviously just an example, but you get what I'm saying.

Swoon?  Nah.  I just noticed via Instagram that you tend to like bands that came from people in CaP'N Jazz.  I just happen to really like what the Kinsellas, Davey, Victor, and Sam do.  Good thing I wasn't trying to swoon, it wouldn't have worked!

I like a girl who digs what I'm into. And can deal with the fact that I'm probably not going to like any of her shit.

My girl showed up in my store today, conveniently as I was about to go on break. She just wanted to see me apparently.

When I told her I'm going to the movies tonight, she asked to join.

By the time I got out of work, she was bailing on those plans.

I find it's not so much about taste, but about just loving music. What I can't figure out - for the life of me - is how someone can just be completely indifferent toward music. It blows my mind. What also blows my mind - albeit to a far less extent - is how some people have no idea there's music beyond that on top 40 radio stations.

I think I just want a chick that's passionate about music, period. Give me a good reason to like your crappy dubstep DJ or Beyonce, and I'll give it a shot... then I'll give you 10 reasons why The Weakerthans' discography is the only one you would need if you were marooned on a desert island. This is obviously just an example, but you get what I'm saying.

Swoon? Nah. I just noticed via Instagram that you tend to like bands that came from people in CaP'N Jazz. I just happen to really like what the Kinsellas, Davey, Victor, and Sam do. Good thing I wasn't trying to swoon, it wouldn't have worked!

Oh so much this. Show some damn passion.

i'm having a pretty rough go at it right now.

a week ago, she texted me saying she can't be in a relationship.

by tuesday, she made it sound like she was just stressed out.

wednesday, she visited me at work, asked to come to the movies with me later that night... and then didn't.

we then made plans to go hiking thursday morning. and while chatting deep into wednesday night, she even asked me to go over her house at 1:30.

that didn't happen. neither did hiking. instead, i pretty much got a cold shoulder for the duration of thursday- when she went to boston with a friend for the day/night.

so i texted her mid-day saying that the mixed signals bullshit needs to end, and that she clearly needs more time to think about things. that was my own little device to keep myself from going crazy. because if she's not talking to me, at least i'm the one that called for it.

but this weekend, we had plans to visit a friend in rhode island. of course, that didn't work out. she still went.

and this is the friend who we met through. so when i texted her a happy birthday on friday, naturally, we discussed the situation. nothing was said that crossed any lines- although i did find out that she didn't seem to mention any of the parts where she was making/breaking plans with me. the conversation didn't give me a lot of hope. mostly sounded like she's venting to her friends in the mindset that she's over this.

got a text from her yesterday saying "that's my best friend. don't talk about our business. you know i care about you, but it's uncomfortable hearing about it from her." (what?)

based on everything that goes on in this thread, i'm sure everyone is going to say "hey, just move on, she's clearly not worth it."

but here i am on a sunday morning, barely able to get out of bed (ok, pretty hungover..), and just feeling really low.

i miss her. and i just really want to believe that she'll come home and snap out of this. 

i'm just so fucking sick of this routine. the only thing different here from every other woman i get involved with, is that i actually got a couple weeks of good sex out of it.

the mixed signals just really fucked with me. she was dangling hope in front of me, and... well, now this.

i've been good about not contacting her. when i texted her thursday, i wished her luck with all the crap she (allegedly) has going on with school, told her to have fun this weekend, and that i'd like to see her shortly after she gets back. but this was all preceded with me pretty much saying "listen bitch... figure it out."

since then, the only text i sent her was the one where i briefly defended myself for talking to her friend because that friendship obviously came before this whole thing. didn't respond to the next couple she sent.

it just drives me nuts, because all she did was rave about how wonderful i am. and i don't mean to sound conceited, but goddammit i know how to treat a woman!