Whats Your Opinion?

Well I'm initially starting this thread because I'm curious on other's opinion about Brand New's album Daisy. I've been listening to it and at first I wasn't really diggin what I was hearing. I listened to it again a few times though and it is kinda growing on me. Its different in sound direction compared to past albums I feel but I find good to listen to when I'm in that right mood.

I'm sure some would disagree, that's cool, I am asking for your opinion's too.

Swear I have seen mutliple threads about this.

I just figure if I have any opinionated questions about bands, I can just post it in one thread rather than make up one every time I ask for opinions. If anyone else is looking for opinions on other albums or artists/bands, why not ask here? Maybe there was a thread like this already, if so, my bad.

dejs is my favorite this is a close second though i really like the closing track and vices

ya I'm not sure which album of theirs is my favorite. Hah, probably You're Favorite Weapon. Deja is good though for sure. I like the other two about the same really. I like the first and last tracks on Daisy.

I don't get the huge deal with Brand New. I liked the first and second record because I thought the first was a good pop punk record and Deja was a decent pop record. Aside from that, I think this band is alright, no more no less.

As someone stated though, who cares? Do you like it? Do you dislike it? That's all that matters. I played "Call Me Maybe" on the jukebox of a dive bar three times throughout the other night. Did I care if anybody liked it? Hell no, unless a really cute chick would be all "who played this, lets go make babies in the backseat of my very expensive Benz in which I paid for because I have a lot of money and like to have sex with tall awkward guys that like catchy pop tunes." Then I probably would have cared.

I've never had the pleasure of listening, so I'm just going to judge it by the cover art.

Personally, I think it's kind of a waste of time to listen to an album with only one fox on the cover. There's obviously room for seven or eight foxes.

Needs more forest creatures. 4/10

Not the biggest fan of the album, but the songs are actually really enjoyable live. I just saw them for the first time last Wednesday and was getting kinda annoyed every time they would start another Daisy song (they played over half the album), but was pleasantly surprised by how good they all sounded.

This brings back good memories from the old board. I miss ry as a kite.

It's a good album, just not a great one. I mean fight off your demos was more cohesive, you know?

here i am.. rockin you like a hurricane.

and ive always been an advocate for the demos passing as a cohesive unit.

I listen to Brand New for their catchy hooks but I think they are a very riff oriented band. Lots of their songs are carried by good guitar riffs and I think that gets overlooked. That's why they're so good though, you hardly even know they are there.

I don't like Daisy because it comes off 100% forced. It seems they purposely tried not to have any big melodies or guitar hooks. They all decided that being a weenie pop band for teenage girls wasn't cool anymore and that listening to the Jesus Lizard is way cooler but it is too late. That's the band they are and it is the band they will be again on their next record because it's clear they want to continue to make music for a living which after dropping their label and management, they now more than ever need to take some steps back. The record is dense and noisy for the sake of being so and it felt like they really went out of their way to make it so bad. It was a misguided attempt that failed and I don't think anyone knows it more than they do.

Saw them on friday and the flaws of the record come off perfectly live. I've never seen any band have an audience so captivated (Okay, I Believe You) and lose the entire room so quickly (into two jams off Daisy, Gasoline and something else).

That Demo $5 (I think...) the one that starts "I can barely move... I can barely see where we're going love." That song needs to see a real release or at least be a 7". I love that song more than anything Brand New has released.

i got really annoyed that the title $5 Demo was being thrown around.. and then realized that you (hopefully) meant #5.

but yes, that is still one of the best songs theyve ever recorded. the time i was lucky enough to see them play it live will forever be one of my all time greatest concert moments.

as far as what kyle has to say about it being bad bad bad...

i understand what you mean. but just because its erratic and totally off the tracks from their norm doesnt make it an awful attempt. a number of points on daisy fall short of succeeding, but it has enough redeeming qualities. the biggest thing that comes with it is that it needs to be listened to as a whole, and all the recordings and samples have a lot to do with it. because you really cant just throw vices or noro on a playlist... betrand brown alone separates the music on this album from really anything else youre going to hear.

they wrote the album in two very distinctly different ways from the previous releases

1. jesse passed the lyrical reigns over to vin. and vin, i love you dude, but stick to the strings. when one of the groups biggest selling points is your front mans ability to melt peoples hearts with his words, its a bit silly to discard it.

2. most importantly, they wrote a live album. i think they recognized how much fucking better their shows became with songs like degausser, you wont know, and welcome to bangkok in the setlists. they clearly tried riding that wave. unfortunately the ONLY song that reached the level of brilliance of those songs was sink. bought a bride comes very close, but its pace is too slow, and it loses some punch because of it.

i also get the impression that it was written with the intent to alienate themselves from a lot of their fans. because, lets face it, they tend to draw an incredible amount of shit heads to their shows. and its sad, because they really do have a fantastic fanbase, but its diluted by "SEVENTY TIMES SEVEEEEENNN!!!" and "I LOVE YOU JEEESSSSSEEEEEE!!!!"

this goes back to the point i made about this being a whole album, while removing any sign of being "single friendly". devil&god wasnt very much either, but jesus alone was enough to count for like 3 singles.

if only the alienating had worked..

I don't get the huge deal with Brand New. I liked the first and second record because I thought the first was a good pop punk record and Deja was a decent pop record. Aside from that, I think this band is alright, no more no less.

As someone stated though, who cares? Do you like it? Do you dislike it? That's all that matters. I played "Call Me Maybe" on the jukebox of a dive bar three times throughout the other night. Did I care if anybody liked it? Hell no, unless a really cute chick would be all "who played this, lets go make babies in the backseat of my very expensive Benz in which I paid for because I have a lot of money and like to have sex with tall awkward guys that like catchy pop tunes." Then I probably would have cared.

I only care for the sake of discussion and expression of opinion. I don't care if you hate the album so much you wanna find every copy made and burn them all. I'm simply striking conversation by asking for other's opinion. Perhaps that is strange and weird of me, but I don't care :)

Thanks for your opinion though.

Well I feel stupid. I miss that Bart avatar man. Like I mentioned in the thread above, this is a grower. Daisy might as well of been Vin's solo disc. They're going to make a seabiscuit-like return to form once Jesse gets laid. You heard it here first.

here i am.. rockin you like a hurricane.

and ive always been an advocate for the demos passing as a cohesive unit.

i got really annoyed that the title $5 Demo was being thrown around.. and then realized that you (hopefully) meant #5.

but yes, that is still one of the best songs theyve ever recorded. the time i was lucky enough to see them play it live will forever be one of my all time greatest concert moments.

as far as what kyle has to say about it being bad bad bad...

i understand what you mean. but just because its erratic and totally off the tracks from their norm doesnt make it an awful attempt. a number of points on daisy fall short of succeeding, but it has enough redeeming qualities. the biggest thing that comes with it is that it needs to be listened to as a whole, and all the recordings and samples have a lot to do with it. because you really cant just throw vices or noro on a playlist... betrand brown alone separates the music on this album from really anything else youre going to hear.

they wrote the album in two very distinctly different ways from the previous releases

1. jesse passed the lyrical reigns over to vin. and vin, i love you dude, but stick to the strings. when one of the groups biggest selling points is your front mans ability to melt peoples hearts with his words, its a bit silly to discard it.

2. most importantly, they wrote a live album. i think they recognized how much fucking better their shows became with songs like degausser, you wont know, and welcome to bangkok in the setlists. they clearly tried riding that wave. unfortunately the ONLY song that reached the level of brilliance of those songs was sink. bought a bride comes very close, but its pace is too slow, and it loses some punch because of it.

i also get the impression that it was written with the intent to alienate themselves from a lot of their fans. because, lets face it, they tend to draw an incredible amount of shit heads to their shows. and its sad, because they really do have a fantastic fanbase, but its diluted by "SEVENTY TIMES SEVEEEEENNN!!!" and "I LOVE YOU JEEESSSSSEEEEEE!!!!"

this goes back to the point i made about this being a whole album, while removing any sign of being "single friendly". devil&god wasnt very much either, but jesus alone was enough to count for like 3 singles.

if only the alienating had worked..

Were your two points not my exact points just put nicer? Bad lyrics, or to be nice, lyrics that weren't typical Brand New (forced) and songs that lacked melody/hooks to help them progress and captivate?

I completely agree it needs to be taken in as a whole but there in lies the problem, it is too dense and full of duds to want to do that regularly.

This is really the only record I can think of that I'll objectively argue for it being bad. I think the fact that even the band acknowledges that it's too dense and have spoken multiple times now of having to back track and figure out where they went wrong speaks volumes as well. Brand New has an incredibly devoted fan base that anyone playing music would envy. I think personally even the first three records are fantastic, I just feel as though people want to like this record more than they actually do and because it is viewed so poorly by most it only makes them like it more.

I think live the band is still at their best playing Devil and God stuff. Jesse can't sing anything off YFW anymore and the songs off Deja sound like they're almost there but still young, but when they kick into something from DAG they're just bang on. If anything I think that was their best live record.

I wish I could see them live. Kyle and Ry both make good arguments. I agree though that for me, I had to listen to it all the way through while I'm doin shit around the house. I like the album for background noise. Then again I have a strange taste in music, I used to listen to Switchblade Symphony back in high school and that was some really strange stuff. Their tracks, I felt, sounded like they came out of a Silent Hill game (though they have no association with that franchise or gaming for that matter).